County Cricket Championship - DOWN DOWN, DEEPER THAN DOWN.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: County Cricket Championship

Post by The Subhuman »

billie1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 pm Wow , I was a bit of a Hampshire supporter myself as my favourite aunt was from Middle Wallop . I loved Richards and Greenidge . (That 1973 Hampshire side was great - Jesty , Turner , Gilliat etc ) . I only ever saw them on tv , must have been great to see them live ( albeit I did see GG play for the W. Indies once at the Oval in 1976 ) .
Peter Sainsbury, Andy Roberts, Nigel Cowley, Tom Motram....those were the days. TBH felt like I was getting dragged down till I got to about 10, but dad had a passion for the game until one day cricket arrived and it rubbed off. He hated the one day game ..league cricket accepted of course.

He played a couple of first class games for Bombay state in the late forties...and I never got the hang of playing his leg spin in the nets...Very slow, dogged cricketers were his favourites. Always play yourself in boy...wait til you see the ball like it's a football
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:47 pm A man with great taste I suspect
My dad was a Bournemouth man, he was horrified when they his county Hampshire was changed to Dorset, he loved his cricket & AFC Bournemouth, dad wouldn't believe his boyhood team are holding their own in the premiership now
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Did not know Bournemouth was once Hampshire have to say
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 pm Did not know Bournemouth was once Hampshire have to say
Historically part of Hampshire, it joined Dorset with the reorganisation of local government in 1974.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Well I was 12 and probably not into local politics, especially someone elses local politics...As a kid I didn't realise we lived in Surrey until I was about 10.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Spent about 5 hours cutting grass and strimming today and what with all the playoff 2nd leg thoughts going through my mind I totally forgot we were back in action today in the CC at Kent. Looks like a bang average performance with the bat all out for 210 with no player scoring more than 29 while Kent closed on 130/4 with Zak Crawley going along nicely on 73 n/o. Need to get into them early to stand any chance in this one I reckon. I felt this game would signal our intent one way or another. After a couple of decent results and a win here I would've thought we could well be in for a good season. We'll see.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:54 pm Spent about 5 hours cutting grass and strimming today and what with all the playoff 2nd leg thoughts going through my mind I totally forgot we were back in action today in the CC at Kent. Looks like a bang average performance with the bat all out for 210 with no player scoring more than 29 while Kent closed on 130/4 with Zak Crawley going along nicely on 73 n/o. Need to get into them early to stand any chance in this one I reckon. I felt this game would signal our intent one way or another. After a couple of decent results and a win here I would've thought we could well be in for a good season. We'll see.
Lets hope we can bowl out Kent cheaply tomorrow

Meanwhile Bairstow scores 128 & Root 43 for England
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

A very impressive turnaround by Yorkshire given the first innings deficit of 86, thanks largely to a brilliant 159 from Gary Ballance and Ben Coad's 6 for 52 in the 2nd innings. Fair play to Kent for making a good fist of it today but thankfully the second new ball came at just the right time after tea and we collected the 3 more required wickets for the win. That's 3 centuries in 3 games so far now for Ballance. Perhaps an England re-call is on the horizon. Taking into account the back end of last season Yorks are now 7 CC games unbeaten (W4 D3). Next up for Yorkshire is Hampshire at Headingley beginning Bank Holiday Monday.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white

Post by 1964white »

wilsdenwhite wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 pm A very impressive turnaround by Yorkshire given the first innings deficit of 86, thanks largely to a brilliant 159 from Gary Ballance and Ben Coad's 6 for 52 in the 2nd innings. Fair play to Kent for making a good fist of it today but thankfully the second new ball came at just the right time after tea and we collected the 3 more required wickets for the win. That's 3 centuries in 3 games so far now for Ballance. Perhaps an England re-call is on the horizon. Taking into account the back end of last season Yorks are now 7 CC games unbeaten (W4 D3). Next up for Yorkshire is Hampshire at Headingley beginning Bank Holiday Monday.
Last thing Yorkshire need is to lose another class batsman to England :(

Great recovery from the Yorkies to gain a impressive victory
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Easy wins for Hampshire & Essex with the Somerset v Surrey drawing their match

Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 22.02.16.png
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

Kent managed to do what they couldn't do last week against Yorkshire and have batted out the final day of their game against champions Surrey. Faced with an identical situation as last week having to face the 2nd new ball after tea with a few wickets remaining they managed to hold off the Surrey attack. I don't think Surrey will be too bothered at starting with 3 straight draws but will be looking to bag their first win when they go to Edgbaston to face Warwickshire beginning on Monday. Warwickshire have been really poor so far especially with the bat and will be wanting Ian Bell back as soon as possible. Even then I think they face a real battle to avoid the drop this year. Somerset still lead the way but don't play in the next round of fixtures giving the winners of the Yorkshire v Hampshire game a chance to go top of the table. I see there is some more talk about the kind of wickets been prepared at Taunton.

In case anyone interested didn't know they appear to be streaming CC games live now through each teams website with commentary from the BBC running simultaneously. Only one camera though over the wicket. Still it's nice for the few of us who do have an interest in the CC and better than nothing.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Victories for Somerset in a low scoring match & a easy win for Hampshire with centuries for
Rahane & the prolific Northeast plus Alsop knocking up another unbeaten half-century.

That Hants victory takes them above Yorkshire into 2nd place in the table
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Interesting match developing at Headingley going into day four

Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 08.53.17.png
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yorks should win comfortably unless we can hold out for a draw...this is not a strong 4 day team
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:16 am Yorks should win comfortably unless we can hold out for a draw...this is not a strong 4 day team
Maybe not Faaip but with Northeast, Rahane & Alsop in the Hants side they are capable of winning matches at any level I would think

Personally I think the match will end up in a draw due to so much time lost to the weather conditions
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Probably the only place in England getting rain, start delayed this morning :(

Beautiful here in East Yorks
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

That helps us
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Another century from Gary Ballance & decent runs from Kohler-Cadmore, Leaning & Tattersall have given Yorks a stronghold in this match with a lead of 254 so far!

Surely Yorks have to declare shortly ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Yorks set Hampshire a total of 275 to win

Hants 7 for 1

Soames out for a duck
1964white

Post by 1964white »