EFL Awards

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

EFL Awards

Post by Cjay »

Liam Cooper and Kalvin Phillips have got a place in the EFL Team Of The Year.

Pukki, Sharp and Che Adams are the Player Of The Year nominees.

Chris Wilder has been named Manager Of The Year.

Aside from the fact its only March, its hard to argue against Pukki, Adams and Sharp who have all been awesome this season.

And Wilder has done a fantastic job for the Blades again.

But at the same time Bielsa has taken a side from bottom 3 of the form table for the entire time in 2018 he wasnt here, had a dreadful injury crisis to deal with and still only seen his side drop below 3rd for a week.

No other manager has spent more time in the top 3, 2 or 1st then Bielsa.

And our very own Spanish wizard Pablo Hernandez, one of only two players in the league to be in double figures for goals and assists and the player who has created the most chances in the league and indeed Europe as a whole according to something i read on twitter.

Its very difficult to argue against the 3 nominees or Wilder but its also very hard to see how Bielsa and Hernandez missed out to.

Congratulations to Cooper and Phillips. :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: EFL Awards

Post by Cjay »

Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Jamal Lewis (Norwich), Liam Cooper (Leeds), Reece James (Wigan), Max Aarons (Norwich), Oliver Norwood (Sheffield United), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Jarrod Bowen (Hull), Che Adams (Birmingham), Billy Sharp (Sheffield United), Teemu Pukki (Norwich)
Signed

King Cjay

YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Pablo :roll: :o
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Massive snub for Pablo. But we could win the division by 30 points and still only get a few crumbs. The Cooper and Phillips nods feel like an after thought, Cooper has not even been the best CB at the club this season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sharp not scored in 9 is it? Not player of the year form
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 pm Its very difficult to argue against the 3 nominees or Wilder but its also very hard to see how Bielsa and Hernandez missed out to.
Why am I not surprised ?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:50 pm Why am I not surprised ?
Farke, Wilder and Bielsa would all be deserving winners tbf.

Its odd to me that despite us finishing 9 points below Blades we were rated higher in the odds to go up this season, has Bielsa being Bielsa gone against him?

Take nothing away from Wilder but just seems odd that the two teams who have spent the most time top and whose sides have seen the biggest improvement (Norwich 14th to 1st, us 13th to 3rd but only for a relatively small time, we have been top 2 longer then Norwich and Blades combined i read ) yet Wilder wins despite spending the most time outside of the top 2 and having seen the smallest improvement.

Hernandez is baffling, there is almost universal agreement on other forums and in the media that he is by far the strangest omission.
Last edited by Cjay on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Hernandez was robbed, Wilder is a deserving winner (as Farke and Bielsa would have been).

But no Pablo is ludicrous, the team of the year was voted for by other Championship managers.

Every manager in the league would crawl over broken glass naked to have Pablo in there team.
Signed

King Cjay

Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

I am disappointed Pablo didn't win player of the year but I am completely baffled he hasn't even made the team
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Absolutely pointless to have awards made now with the season still having 8 matches to go. If Sheff Utd do what we did under Monk and have an almighty collapse they could miss out on even a play-off place - would Wilder then be the manager of the year? I am sure Monk was in the running when we were sitting in 4th place before our collapse.

Likewise with the strikers - yes they lead the scoring charts at present but the likes of Maupay, Bowen and Abraham are only a couple of goals behind. All it takes is one of them to score a few goals and suddenly you have a player in the team who wasn't one of the top 3 strikers. If Bowen or Abraham gets a hat trick at the weekend then they are joint top scorers in the division with Pukki. Similarly Maupay has 20 goals and 7 assists - is that not better than Che Adam's 21 goals but only 3 assists?

A very flawed and foolish system but then I expect nothing more from the EFL.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

:love:

Pontus :tup: :)
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Was this a public vote or within the EFL itself ...No idea how Kalvin and Liam gets in and Pablo doesn't...I would have said Pontus but he's burnt bridges with the EFL all season. Feels like they just selected a couple of good role models from Leeds not great players having a great season ..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:54 pm Was this a public vote or within the EFL itself ...No idea how Kalvin and Liam gets in and Pablo doesn't...I would have said Pontus but he's burnt bridges with the EFL all season. Feels like they just selected a couple of good role models from Leeds not great players having a great season ..
1 of them either Team, Manager or Player was definitely voted for by the Championship managers.

Dont know if they all were.

As David Prutton i think it was said, spygate ensured Bielsa wouldn't be allowed to win anything individually
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It definitely feels like Coops and KP were added in as an afterthought. It would have been embarrassing to think Leeds didn't have any players in team of the year considering the season we've had. But to not have a player nominated while both Norwich and the blunts do is insulting, but hopefully it will spur the players on.

As I mentioned before, these awards are too dominated by whoever scores the most goals. That said, the two times the top scorer didn't win was Wood and McCormack which tells you all you need to know.