Leeds v Luton Town ??

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Leeds v Luton Town ??

Post by 1964white »

A fixture which is a distinct possibility in the 2019/20

Luton is a horrible place, the type of small ground we tend to struggle on

We've been in the same league as them on a few occasions... we lost 5-1 to them the year we both got relegated to league one

Says it all about how long we have been peddling about in this division though when Luton got relegated to league two, the non league, then stayed there for a number of years, then finally got their act together, got promoted to league two, then league one, and now finally the championship in their sight, all the while we have been dicking around with thirteenth placed finishes & lower with the likes of Hockaday, Rosler, Milanic, Evans, Christiansen, Hecky......surreal !

Save us please Bielsa, get us out of this division,15 years is far too long now! 
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Leeds v Luton Town ??

Post by LUFC_BOS »

I lived in Luton for a while, agree Kenilworth Rd was not the best place. In the 70's , had a decent team and played good football.

They are looking to build a stadium near the centre of town. The last time I checked , local council was backing it. Short distance from train station.

I still look out for them , as the Hatters have had a turbulent time, points deduction , like us. I am glad they are making a fist of it.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LUFC_BOS wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:21 pm 64,
I lived in Luton for a while, agree Kenilworth Rd was not the best place. In the 70's , had a decent team and played good football.

They are looking to build a stadium near the centre of town. The last time I checked , local council was backing it. Short distance from train station.

I still look out for them , as the Hatters have had a turbulent time, points deduction , like us. I am glad they are making a fist of it.
I have a attended Kenilworth Road a couple times plus I have a aunt & cousins who live in Luton so I'm familiar with Luton, Bos

Yes the hatters have gone through turbulent times with a fall of grace worse than Leeds.

Hopefully they won't steam past us like so many other small clubs have done should we mess up this season
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I have a soft spot for Luton, growing up in Bedfordshire, and went to a few of their home games in the Conference when I was down there again. It was that season when Andre Gray was tearing it up for them. I like Kenny Road too; any ground that smells of curry is fine by me.

The Hatters have always fluctuated through the leagues, and have a loyal support, so I can't resent their success. The deductions which sent them down were unfair imo.

Of all the small clubs punching above their weight, the one that annoys me most is Wigan. They had about 1500 fans before Whelan bankrolled them. Sod off and play rugby!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Of all the small clubs punching above their weight, the one that annoys me most is Wigan. They had about 1500 fans before Whelan bankrolled them. Sod off and play rugby!
:rol: :rol:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:27 pm :rol: :rol:
I don't even mind Bournemouth in the Prem; at least they have a nice beach!
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I’ve been to Luton a few times and you always felt like you were entering the ground through someone’s house as it was built into like a row of terraced houses a bit like Leicester’s old ground Filbert St. I remember in the 80s they were one of the clubs with a plastic pitch.
I think the new ground has been approved and it’s going to be 17,500 with an option to increase to 22,500
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:41 pm I’ve been to Luton a few times and you always felt like you were entering the ground through someone’s house as it was built into like a row of terraced houses a bit like Leicester’s old ground Filbert St. I remember in the 80s they were one of the clubs with a plastic pitch.
I think the new ground has been approved and it’s going to be 17,500 with an option to increase to 22,500
Yes Rich. Kenilworth Road is very similar to the now defunct Filbert Street

So there new stadium will produce an additional 7,000 seats
hector

Post by hector »

I used to drive 8 wheel tipper lorries in a previous incarnation, and we had the contract to remove filbert street..... I made a fortune when my lorry had 15 tonnes worth of the turf, as I sold it to Leicester fans that I knew and they then told their mates etc... :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:07 am Luton is a horrible place, the type of small ground we tend to struggle on

We've been in the same league as them on a few occasions... we lost 5-1 to them the year we both got relegated to league one

Pretty sure we lost 2-0 to them in the title winning season and it was the match where Cantona came on for his debut.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:42 pm Pretty sure we lost 2-0 to them in the title winning season and it was the match where Cantona came on for his debut.
I thought we beat them twice that season with Cantona scoring in one of those matches, I maybe wrong
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:01 pm I thought we beat them twice that season with Cantona scoring in one of those matches, I maybe wrong
Ah yes you are right.

We did beat Luton 2-0, Cantona scoring, at home 2 matches after losing 2-0 to Oldham which was I think when Cantona appeared as a sub for the first time. Cantona's goal was one of the three league goals he scored for us that season as he single-handedly won us the title.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:27 pm I used to drive 8 wheel tipper lorries in a previous incarnation, and we had the contract to remove filbert street..... I made a fortune when my lorry had 15 tonnes worth of the turf, as I sold it to Leicester fans that I knew and they then told their mates etc... :)
Entrepreneurial hector :)