The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd Mar)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd Mar)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Berardi has been speaking to Leeds Journalist Adam Pope about his race against time to be fit, and ready to start on the 30th when Millwall come to town.

“I hope so, I’m training hard, we still have 7-8 days to the next game, I need to show the staff I’m ready to play. I don’t know what they will do, but I still need to show them that I’m ready.”

Is Berardi more than capable of filling in for Jansson?

Leeds fans have taken to social media asking why Leeds Captain Liam Cooper was omitted from the Scottish squad following their humiliation over being thrashed by Kazakhstan?

Thoughts?

Victor Orta is scouring the South American market looking for talent!

One player that has caught his eye is Boca Juniors midfielder Nahitan Nandez, who came to prominence in the World Cup last year, featuring in every match of the campaign for Uruguay in the tournament in Russia.

Nandez would certainly fit that billing. The 23-year-old not only has huge experience on the international stage but he has delivered the goods in some big domestic matches, setting up a goal against arch-rivals River Plate in the ill-fated Copa Libertadores final earlier this term.

Who would prefer a Brazilian?

If you could strengthen one position for Leeds until the end of the season, where would it be?

Who's place(s) would be in doubt?

Are the forwards prolific enough in front of goal?

Is the midfield strong enough to support and feed the attackers?

If our defence was more water tight, surely gaps would start to appear in our opponents defence?
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 22nd Mar)

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning all, hope the international break passes quickly for us all so we can get back to business.

Is Berardi more than capable of filling in for Jansson?

You know, it's been so long since he's been fit that people forget how capable he looked early in the season. I don't want to compare him directly to Pontus as they're chalk and cheese in terms of their physicality and traits but I reckon he's going to work his bollocks off. We're so close now that we're going to need that motivation, not just from Berardi but everyone.

Leeds fans have taken to social media asking why Leeds Captain Liam Cooper was omitted from the Scottish squad following their humiliation over being thrashed by Kazakhstan?

Not sure he would've made a difference anyway judging by what I read about their performance but as an English Leeds fan I can only see it as a positive he wasn't included. No injury, plenty of rest and the satisfaction of ripping my Scottish co-workers. :)

One player that has caught his eye is Boca Juniors midfielder Nahitan Nandez, who came to prominence in the World Cup last year, featuring in every match of the campaign for Uruguay in the tournament in Russia.

Doesn't matter to me, mate but Bielsa may well prove to be a big draw for the Argentinian league players no matter their nationality. Uruguay looked every bit as good as Brazil for the most part in the WC, with the latter's prima donnas (Neymar) running the show over more composed and measured heads (Coutinho).

If you could strengthen one position for Leeds until the end of the season, where would it be?

I was tempted to say centre-mid but Tyler Roberts has shown he's worth a bit of trust in that position and Pablo can always fill in. There are also some exciting youth options emerging in that area of the pitch.

For me, without any doubt, it's the left winger. For all his spots of recent form, Harrison just doesn't have that sniper-like precision with the crosses like Clarke. He's a talented dribbler but he keeps his head down far too much and misses way too many overlaps. I felt for poor Alioski in the SU game, making darting runs past the Blunt defenders only to see Harrison moonwalking in the box.

Likewise, Ali just isn't a forward, I think we've all seen that now. If we had as much attacking threat on the left as we do with Pablo/Clarke/Ayling/Shack on the right then we'd see better service and more goals.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:37 am

Is that a question for the MoT ladies only?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

On the Cooper debate

This is always my argument when a section of our fans reckon Cooper is a better CB than Jansson

Cooper struggles to be selected in what is one of the worse Scottish international teams I've witnessed since my interest of football as a kid

Whereas Pontus is a automatic squad member in a international team that has regularly qualified to play in the World Cup/Euro tournaments over the last thirty years hence the reason the Swedes are ranked 14th with the Scots 38th in the FIFA world rankings.

Pontus has played in World Cup/Euro tournaments, Cooper hasn't come close

After saying all that Liam has had a fantastic season at Leeds, his best under Bielsa's shrewd guidance

On current form he has to be better than the two CB's McKenna & Bates selected last night v Kazakhstan.

Mckenna has played 42 games in five seasons for Aberdeen. Bates played Scottish lower league football prior to playing 20 games for a average Rangers team & now plays his football for Hamburg. I have to confess I've never seen either play but I know I wouldn't be enamoured if we signed any Scottish CB these days.

I'd back our leader every time against what Scotland have to offer when it comes down to a choice of CB's

One other point to consider Scotland play a different style of football compared to Bielsa's Leeds which may effect Cooper's current form playing under a average manager

Tbh I'm glad Cooper wasn't selected for selfish reasons as we are without Pontus for possibly the three next games so the last thing we want is for Cooper to pick up a injury playing for Scotland
hector

Post by hector »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:21 am Is that a question for the MoT ladies only?
You sexist pig Harry..... :pig:

I'll have you know that I have a Brazillian... :shock:

The image that has just been seen in your mind cannot be unseen :rol: :rol:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

hector wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:16 am You sexist pig Harry..... :pig:

I'll have you know that I have a Brazillian... :shock:

The image that has just been seen in your mind cannot be unseen :rol: :rol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Positions we are lightweight in:

No replacement for Pablo, no current Leeds midfielder comes close to Hernandez's creativity

Lack of a prolific striker, Roofe, Bamford & Roberts will score goals, unconvinced they'll score 25+ goals a season

We lack true pace, the signing of Daniel James would have remedied that problem, we may have been top of the league now with James on our books
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:56 am On the Cooper debate

This is always my argument when a section of our fans reckon Cooper is a better CB than Jansson

Cooper struggles to be selected in what is one of the worse Scottish international teams I've witnessed since my interest of football as a kid

Whereas Pontus is a automatic squad member in a international team that has regularly qualified to play in the World Cup/Euro tournaments over the last thirty years hence the reason the Swedes are ranked 14th with the Scots 38th in the FIFA world rankings.

Pontus has played in World Cup/Euro tournaments, Cooper hasn't come close

After saying all that Liam has had a fantastic season at Leeds, his best under Bielsa's shrewd guidance

On current form he has to be better than the two CB's McKenna & Bates selected last night v Kazakhstan.

Mckenna has played 42 games in five seasons for Aberdeen. Bates played Scottish lower league football prior to playing 20 games for a average Rangers team & now plays his football for Hamburg. I have to confess I've never seen either play but I know I wouldn't be enamoured if we signed any Scottish CB these days.

I'd back our leader every time against what Scotland have to offer when it comes down to a choice of CB's

One other point to consider Scotland play a different style of football compared to Bielsa's Leeds which may effect Cooper's current form playing under a average manager

Tbh I'm glad Cooper wasn't selected for selfish reasons as we are without Pontus for possibly the three next games so the last thing we want is for Cooper to pick up a injury playing for Scotland
Pontus is a better CB than Lindelof in my opinion and he's a regular starter for Man U and Sweden.
How Cooper wasn't selected for Scotland I will never know. But with Pontus injured I'm glad he wasn't.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 am Positions we are lightweight in:

No replacement for Pablo, no current Leeds midfielder comes close to Hernandez's creativity

Lack of a prolific striker, Roofe, Bamford & Roberts will score goals, unconvinced they'll score 25+ goals a season

We lack true pace, the signing of Daniel James would have remedied that problem, we may have been top of the league now with James on our books
Agree with this.
Our weakest position is left wing and that is easily remidied by replacing Harrison with Clarke.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Berardi.

He is a decent player but I'm not convinced he is a cb, Jansson is a far better player and the loss of him vs Millwall is massive. Also Berardi was told to have an operation to fix his injury problems, he refused, but that means he isnt really fit.

Cooper.
The fact he cant get in the Scotland side was always an issue for me, part of the reason he has never totally convinced me. If he cant get in very poor Scotland sides there must be a reason for it, no idea if he is better then what Scotland have tbh.

Pleased we are looking in South America, always hoped we would when Bielsa arrived, potential bargains in South America.

Bamfords injury issues have been a big blow, no question. But i think its a lack of creativity and goals in the wide areas, far to reliant on Hernandez, we should have replaced Saiz and got the winger Bielsa wanted, had we done that then we'd be well away.

January may still come back to bite us in the ass.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cooper. Probably glad he didn’t have to be part of that Fiasco...

At least Dallas and Bailey P got a run out with Norn Iron last night.

I know these two aren’t that popular with some on here but we may come to depend on them over the next two months.

No one has mentioned Halme coming in instead of Berardi.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

BEradi remninds me of Alioski in that he will die for the cause which is commedable but i worry that him and Cooper will lack the aerial presence again against Millwall.
I would go with Halme especially as we will have BPF in goal for that game.
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

What has happened to Halme? He's neither been on the bench or playing for the U23's lately.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Nandez would be a quality signing, but I guess entirely dependent on us going up. I can't see us affording him in the Championship, nor would he want to come. That's why it would be so bloody frustrating if we fail to go up. The calibre of players we'd be missing out on. No chance we'd be settling for 17th and sticking ten men behind the ball if we went up.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Also Bielsa is a God in South America so these kind of players would be tempted to join.