Fan Survey - Home Advantage

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Shortyboy2112
Ballboy
Ballboy

Fan Survey - Home Advantage

Post by Shortyboy2112 »

Hi everyone,

My name’s Tom and I’m currently studying a masters degree in Sports Psychology in Newcastle with the hope in becoming an applied Sports Psychologist in a football setting.

For my thesis I am looking into the home advantage in football and how fans view themselves.

I was hoping that I could post my questionnaire link here to get as many answers as possible? Please feel free to share far and wide as the more answers I get the better results I get and I have the hope of being published!

https://northumbria.onlinesurveys.ac.uk ... fan-survey

It shouldn’t take any longer than 10 minutes to do and all the information is in the link before you have to answer any questions.

Thank you!

Tom Short
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Fan Survey - Home Advantage

Post by John in Louisiana »

Would love to help you out, but I live in the USA..........
Shortyboy2112
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Shortyboy2112 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:18 pm Would love to help you out, but I live in the USA..........
I won’t lie, I didn’t feel it would reach so far but it’s great that it has! Feel free to carry out the questionnaire, as long as you’re a football fan it doesn’t matter where you live!
If you have any problems just drop me a message. The only bit that might cause a problem is the unique ID. This is just a memorable phrase that you can use if you need to get in touch with me so I can select your response. It can be anything as long as you remember it

Tom
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Like John in Louisiana I live in the USA and wish you best results in your resarch. I won’t be any use to your research because coverage of football in the USA is so much shite that I am learning Spanish so I can understand the only real television based football reports and analysis available here which is Spanish language television channels and I add to those the reports, analysis, and critique I get here on the Leeds United MOT site.
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Like John in Louisiana I live in the USA and wish you best results in your research. I won’t be any use to your research because coverage of football in the USA is so much shite that I am learning Spanish so I can understand the only real television based football reports and analysis available here which is Spanish language television channels and I add to those the reports, analysis, and critique I get here on the Leeds United MOT site.
Shortyboy2112
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Shortyboy2112 »

Considering it costs a lot to get Sky Sports etc here I suppose we should be thankful it's available to watch readily if we want and not have to worry about finding English coverage. But then again, why would you want to watch 'soccer' when you've got the real football as an adopted national sport... :roflmao:
SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Shortyboy2112 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:28 pm Considering it costs a lot to get Sky Sports etc here I suppose we should be thankful it's available to watch readily if we want and not have to worry about finding English coverage. But then again, why would you want to watch 'soccer' when you've got the real football as an adopted national sport... :roflmao:
If you are saying that the real football is only the American national teams that compete in the World Cup and other nation vs. nation competitions, it is true that the United States National Teams are the only visible face of football to the rest of football world. That is the case for most of the last two decades. However, the US football governing body made a decision "growing" world football almost 20 years ago. They have had coaching academies, technical support for community leagues for children, etc. There are now privately run academies and some MLS teams have considered having and in some cases started their own academies. It is no longer a rich kid sport. From 2001 to 2016, I lived in a very rural area of Florida. During that time, I saw football pitches added to pubic school athletic fields, saw play grounds add football practice pitches with permanent goal nets for neighborhood kids to have matches after they did their homework and could go out and play. When I left that area, a football complex had been in place for about 4 years for local teams to practice and compete in the different age based leagues, and to host invitational cup competitions for teams from the west coast of Florida to the east coast of Florida. Those invitational cup competitions caused huge traffic slow downs and stoppages on a major road that ran from coast to coast in central Florida.

Those are facts. However, the growth of world football is retarded by the money associated with college and professional throw ball, i.e., what is called NCAA football and NFL football, and college basketball and whatever the professional basketball league is called. The money means coverage, coverage means this is the way to get money, etc, etc, etc to ad nausea. But to play any of those means parents have to expend tons of money for equipment and ancillary parts of participation in them. All those “sports” are delusional by comparison to world football. None of them have relegation based on failure to perform. None of them require a player to in time assess the situation they see, select the right option for what they assess, execute what they select as the right option, react to the result of what they select to execute, while also reacting to what their teammates have done in those moments and then doing everything that I’ve mentioned again every moment of the match because there are no huddling up, there are not time outs called by coaches to sort out players reactions. The world game has a rhythm as a result of all of what I’ve described. Because of all that, it is just like life itself. It has a rhythm of success, failure, and try and try again. That’s why supporters are passionate about each match, that’s why players applaud their supporter at the end of the match. That doesn’t happen in those other aforementioned “sports” but it does in more and more with American world football matches. We don’t yet have relegation which would complete my analogy of world football to real life, but some people within MLS have been considering it. None of the other “sports” in this country have it because of money so there is always next year for the fans of those so called sports. In addition, the support of world football has increased since 2001 because in 2001 I have 4 channels that had matches and now I have 12 that have it.
Shortyboy2112
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Shortyboy2112 »

I was going for a joke about how American Football is all dominant. I’m glad to hear that grassroots is growing as where I’m from it’s one of the few sports that as easily accessible to all, even if it’s just for the fun of seeing friends, and not just those that can afford it.

As well as that, the skills and ‘life’ skills (like we can’t always win, and the importance of taking set backs) has been invaluable to me and set me up for the ups and downs in life, not that I can say there’s been serious ones at 22 but nonetheless. Hopefully the development continues to grow so all can have the opportunity
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Home advantaged is a funny one, advantage in it being a familiar setting, helps pre game routine, more pride when your at home, but certainly can have a negative effect on some teams, with the home support it can sometimes add more pressure on players. Seems to have a bigger impact in other sports such as rugby, you look at French teams in Europe, extremely hard to beat in France, play them at home and French teams turn over and have their bellies tickled! Thomond Park in Munster, always silence when a player is having a kick at goal, freaked out many top players, now most top teams ask fans to respect the kicker and have silence.
Being at home is an advantage, but it can turn
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Valuable research...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Shortyboy2112
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Shortyboy2112 »

Thank you for all the support. Into the last couple of days now so thought I would bump this as it would be great to get some more if possible to push the numbers up!

Thanks again,
Tom