To Tip or not to Tip?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

To Tip or not to Tip?

Post by whiteswan »

When I used to help out in a local pub waiting on tables, I used to get lots of tips. I only worked 2 lunchtimes sometimes doing 80 covers on my own as I worked the most popular days. I had to hand the tips to the owner who then stashed them away with everyone else tips for a few months. She then added up all the shifts that were worked over a week and added them up. So, say someone worked 5 shifts, another worked 8 shifts, and my two shifts then that would equate to 15 shifts worked total. She would then divide the money by 15. So, say the tips added up to £90 then divide by 15 = 6 meaning I would be given £12 (2x £6) the one on 8 shifts would get £48 and the one on 5 shifts would get £30. These were given out to a professional chef, and two cooks. I used to think that was a very unfair way of dividing up the tips as I had earned most of them by being helpful, pleasant and courteous to customers.
Whilst we were up in Yorkshire we went out for a meal and afterwards I discussed tips with the lovely waitress who had remembered us from previous visits and who looked after us very well. I wanted to tip HER but when she told us that the tips went in the tip jar to be shared out with everyone including kitchen staff, top management and owners.....I was appalled. I asked her how much she would get, say, from a £5.00 tip, and she shrugged her shoulders and said "around 20p".
Needless to say I didn't leave a tip!
I just wondered what you guys thought about tipping.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: To Tip or not to Tip?

Post by HarryofOz »

I'd tip. While it is wrong that top management share in the tips, in your case, it may not always be the case.

Also if you add all the tips together even a small percentage can be something, and every little bit helps when you are on a low wage.

I think it's fair the staff - including kitchen staff, but not management - should share in the tips. They are all doing their bit, the waiters/waitresses just happen to be in the front line.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never understood tips, maybe me but I hate the "pressure" of tipping. I'd much rather that a proper wage was paid and built into the cost. I hate hidden costs and tipping is a hidden cost for me.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 pm Never understood tips, maybe me but I hate the "pressure" of tipping. I'd much rather that a proper wage was paid and built into the cost. I hate hidden costs and tipping is a hidden cost for me.
Of course a proper wage is preferable, but it doesn't happen and not tipping won't make it happen unfortunately.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I always leave a tip.

Between 10 and 20 percent, depending how good the service / food was!

I'm on Ok money, servers aren't.

An extra couple of quid to both servers and food delivery people could mean the difference!!!
hector

Post by hector »

I never tip.........................

but then again I never go out or order delivery of food, so why would I??

:)

I agree with Faaip though, there seems to be too much pressure to tip these days, it should purely be a choice thing....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:15 pm When I used to help out in a local pub waiting on tables, I used to get lots of tips. I only worked 2 lunchtimes sometimes doing 80 covers on my own as I worked the most popular days. I had to hand the tips to the owner who then stashed them away with everyone else tips for a few months. She then added up all the shifts that were worked over a week and added them up. So, say someone worked 5 shifts, another worked 8 shifts, and my two shifts then that would equate to 15 shifts worked total. She would then divide the money by 15. So, say the tips added up to £90 then divide by 15 = 6 meaning I would be given £12 (2x £6) the one on 8 shifts would get £48 and the one on 5 shifts would get £30. These were given out to a professional chef, and two cooks. I used to think that was a very unfair way of dividing up the tips as I had earned most of them by being helpful, pleasant and courteous to customers.
Whilst we were up in Yorkshire we went out for a meal and afterwards I discussed tips with the lovely waitress who had remembered us from previous visits and who looked after us very well. I wanted to tip HER but when she told us that the tips went in the tip jar to be shared out with everyone including kitchen staff, top management and owners.....I was appalled. I asked her how much she would get, say, from a £5.00 tip, and she shrugged her shoulders and said "around 20p".
Needless to say I didn't leave a tip!
I just wondered what you guys thought about tipping.
All I have to say is listen to what Gordon Ramsey said when he heard boss had the tips!

Damn hero - This is how you put someone in their place

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I usually tip. regarding the point that it is shared out while I dont like management getting a share I do agree that the backroom staff get remembered. In my eyes the tip is for the good service, which includes clean washrooms, good food as well as efficient staff.

What does irk me is situations like this. I was in Canada recently and we went to a what turned out beautiful Vegan restaurant. ( we didnt know this beforehand but were in a rush because we were off to watch the Canadian version of NFL) . I digress, the way the place was set up was that you ordered, they gave you a receipt with the price and you paid at the till. I put my card into the machine and was asked HOW MUCH of a percent I would like to give as a gratuity. Annoying. Seeing that we hadn't at this point, used the loos never mind tasted the food I declined. I pointed this out to the girl on the till but just got this blank look...

Though tbf the food when it came was really really good. Vegan Pizza, I am still wondering what they used instead of cheese.

Overall I tip taxi drivers, hairdressers and in restaurants if I think they are deserving.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 pm I usually tip. regarding the point that it is shared out while I dont like management getting a share I do agree that the backroom staff get remembered. In my eyes the tip is for the good service, which includes clean washrooms, good food as well as efficient staff.

What does irk me is situations like this. I was in Canada recently and we went to a what turned out beautiful Vegan restaurant. ( we didnt know this beforehand but were in a rush because we were off to watch the Canadian version of NFL) . I digress, the way the place was set up was that you ordered, they gave you a receipt with the price and you paid at the till. I put my card into the machine and was asked HOW MUCH of a percent I would like to give as a gratuity. Annoying. Seeing that we hadn't at this point, used the loos never mind tasted the food I declined. I pointed this out to the girl on the till but just got this blank look...

Though tbf the food when it came was really really good. Vegan Pizza, I am still wondering what they used instead of cheese.

Overall I tip taxi drivers, hairdressers and in restaurants if I think they are deserving.
A dairy free cheese made of Water, Coconut Oil, Modified Starch, Starch, Sea Salt, Flavourings, Olive Extract.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 pm I never tip.........................

but then again I never go out or order delivery of food, so why would I??

:)

I agree with Faaip though, there seems to be too much pressure to tip these days, it should purely be a choice thing....
Ditto but only because as a diet restricted person there are very few suitable establishments.
hector

Post by hector »

I am just a tight miserable git... :)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 pm A dairy free cheese made of Water, Coconut Oil, Modified Starch, Starch, Sea Salt, Flavourings, Olive Extract.
It worked really well. Defo try it again
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We tip at restaurants as long the food & service is very good

Also tip the the guy who washes my car
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 pm Never understood tips, maybe me but I hate the "pressure" of tipping. I'd much rather that a proper wage was paid and built into the cost. I hate hidden costs and tipping is a hidden cost for me.
This.

I work, I get paid. I don't get nor expect a "tip" for doing my job. On occasions I do get a bottle of wine, a voucher, box of chocs given to me by clients which is lovely, very much appreciated but certainly not expected. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

In the States most restaurants include the tip in the bill from what I remember
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I have been to one restaurant wher I paid cash and expected my change....which never came!
I think in future that if tips are shared I wont be tipping as it goes against the grain ( from personal experience) but if I can tip someone who has looked after me well and made the evening special then I'll tip.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 am In the States most restaurants include the tip in the bill from what I remember
Was in a Jazz bar in New Orleans, (Spotted Cat or something similar I seem to recall), about 4 years ago, and ordered a bottled beer whilst listening to the live music. I could not for the life of me manage to catch the eye of the female bartender to order a second beer. When I eventually managed to corner her, she lambasted me for not giving her a tip upon receipt of the first beer, and explained that in the US F&B and other service oriented employees are on a minimum wage and rely heavily on tips. I stuttered my apologies and promptly gave her a big tip. From memory I think the norm is 20% of the bill value. Having lived in a number of overseas postings, tip expectations really vary, Singapore for instance tips are not expected, and a 7% GST is already levied on the bill.