High & Wide.....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

High & Wide.....

Post by 1964white »

That's where the majority of our shots end up

I was always taught as a kid/teenager at footie practice shoulders over the ball & not to lean backwards or be unbalanced & aim for the bottom corners of the goal when shooting as hitting your shots high makes it easier for a keeper to save, also you have less control with the ball likely to be skied over the bar as is the case with many of our shots.

So it's not bad luck why we miss so many scoring opportunities, it's poor technique.

The big surprise bearing in mind the top quality coaching skills Marcelo possesses why hasn't he resolved this ongoing problem which ultimately could cost us promotion
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: High & Wide.....

Post by dezzy »

It’s high level sport, pressure can get the better of many players. If there is doubt in the back of your mind as you go to take a chance, boom it’s wide. Goals look smaller, opposition players look bigger, your trying to be too precise in your placement and that gives you a fraction of a second less time and it gets blocked. Doubt creeps in.
You can be sure they are banging them in at training. This club has been in the wilderness for so long, the pressure theses players are under is massive, has been all season, with the finish line in sight I think the pressure will start to tell on Norwich and the blunts
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

A lot of our players simply lack power in their shots - as well as iffy technique. A 30 yard pea-roller isn't going to score either or a shot on target, regardless of height, with no power. A Yeboah or Hasselbaink type striker and we'd have walked this league.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

The problem is not restricted to Leeds United I can assure you.

The problem would start with how youngsters are coached and the type of players who dominate football - and other sports today.

The game today is very fast and that and the pressure does play a part. While there are certainly many technically gifted players around, like sports there is an increasing emphasis on power and speed in its participants.

So a big, strong, fast player is more valued than a technically skilled player.

How often do you hear commentators say 'that was a typical defender/defensive players shot'.? Many moons ago when the game was slower and less physical (though maybe dirtier) most players had the technical ability to pass well and shoot, even defenders.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Bobby Charlton always said he would shoot at 30 yards always over the ball and straight at the goalkeeper. That way the ball would be low and rising and if he miscued even by 1%, by the time it travelled 25/30 yards it would now be more than an arms reach from the keeper and why so many went it the corner.
Its how many one footed players there are that winds me up considering its a living. They should be able to use both pegs end of
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm A lot of our players simply lack power in their shots - as well as iffy technique. A 30 yard pea-roller isn't going to score either or a shot on target, regardless of height, with no power. A Yeboah or Hasselbainktype striker and we'd have walked this league.
If we had a striker half as good as those two we'd be winning this league

We needed a prolific goalscorer, we haven't got one so 2nd place or the play-offs are our achievable goals :soccer:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm If we had a striker half as good as those two we'd be winning this league

We needed a prolific goalscorer, we haven't got one so 2nd place or the play-offs are our achievable goals :soccer:
Patrick Bamford has exactly the same minutes to goal ratio as Pukki, the leagues top scorer.

We do have a prolific goalscorer but he has only been fit enough to start 20% of our games and is probably still struggling with match fitness even now.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:10 pm Patrick Bamford has exactly the same minutes to goal ratio as Pukki, the leagues top scorer.

We do have a prolific goalscorer but he has only been fit enough to start 20% of our games and is probably still struggling with match fitness even now.
True Cjay, unfair to judge Bamford this season due to his injuries.

His ratio possibly could have been better if super-sharp as he has missed several decent chances
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

I don't think you can deny had we had a 20/25 goal striker fit all season we would be top and up by Easter. But we haven't. Just the sort of luck we have become accustomed to over the years. McCormack hit 28 in 2013/14 but we finished 15th. Chris Wood hit 27 in 16/17 and we finish 7th. Both years we had question marks over the rest of the side playing well consistently. It didn't happen.

Now we have the rest of the team actually playing consistently good football but as luck would have it no goalscorer who can reach 20 by the end of the season. That's the difference. Unfortunately both Norwich and Sheff U have had what we haven't this season. A consistent, nearly ever present 20+ goalscorer. That's usually the difference between a team gaining automatic promotion and a play-off place.

Beckford 25 goals in 2009/10, rest of the team playing well = promotion. Yes I still think we will get automatic promotion but you can see why both Norwich & Sheff U will think if Pukki & Sharp find the net again as regular as they were doing up to early February then we ain't going to catch them. We are where we are though and I thought long before Roofe got injured that Bamford would be the key for us gaining automatic promotion.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:30 pm True Cjay, unfair to judge Bamford this season due to his injuries.

His ratio possibly could have been better if super-sharp as he has missed several decent chances
79 starts 43 goals is his Championship record overall, better then Sharp at the same point in his career by quite a distance.

Easy to forget Paddy only turned 25 in September and has unfortunately suffered multiple injuries throughout his career i believe.

Has missed some great chances recently but tbh I'd be more critical if his link play wasnt so good and he had played 25/30games from the start.

Taking into account his injury issues he has done a solid job imo really, just a shame we couldn't have him and Roofe fit for 25/30games each.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom