The Early #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 18th Mar)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The Early #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 18th Mar)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Evening / Morning Everyone

Leeds dropped out of the automatic promotion places at the weekend after losing 1-0 at home against the Blades.

Leeds dominated large parts of the game, 70% possession and 17 shots at goal prove this; however over 90 minutes Leeds could not muster a single shot on target (Though Roberts hit the woodwork in the second half).

When you look at the performance of the Blades forward line of ex Leeds flop Billy Sharp (23 goals), free transfer David McGoldrick (12 goals), and one season sensation Scott Hogan (3 goals) - would any of these players have got any game time, let alone a place on the bench at the start of the season had they been on Leeds books?

Let's add Ollie Norwood to that equation and let me ask, how much grief would the club have received if they had been even linked with any of these players?

Bearing this in mind should our 8m forward line of Bamford and Roberts have done better?

You'll recall at the post match presser after the West Brom game, Bielsa commented that he had to keep Bamford on the pitch (for an extra 50 minutes) as he didn't have any other options?

Was Bamford MATCH FIT to play?

If only we had a talented U23 forward that was scoring goals for fun?

Hang on a minute??? :shock:

Before you ask, I was talking about Brown, and 'apparently' he was ill on Saturday.... Hhhmmmmmm...

Cooper had a game to forget at the weekend, but considering how well he has played this season, I'm sure he can be forgiven - unless of course you're one of the social media boo boys!

Jansson had an interesting game. He got injured (and has subsequently withdrawn from the Swedish squad for next weeks Internationals). Playing with restrictive movement, Bielsa had to shuffle the pack and the Swede ended up playing as the lone striker, missing a guilt edged opportunity to draw level.

When Casilla was sent off, and Jansson played the last few minutes between the sticks.

Jansson picked up a lot of stick on social media for play acting. Even former gaffer Simon Grayson commentating for TalkSport said “If he rolls around any more, he will injure his other knee".

Where ever there is trouble, Jansson is not far away!

Fair comment or not?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Early #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 18th Mar)

Post by The Subhuman »

Billy Sharp has failed to score in his last 8 I think I'm right in saying ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Simon Grayson is a moron so there is that to consider
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Top of the morning ladies and gents..

Sheffield rocked up with their version of anti football at the weekend. As expected.They hit us on the break three times, once in the first half when they didn't even end up offering a shot, once when Coop made and error and they scored ( and again that as in the Norwich game this happens because our back 3 have one eye on attack instead of playing their primary role of clearing the danger) and once when Kiko got a red card when we were in overload mode.

We were not brushed aside by a better side. Looking around the Championship I would be hard pushed to pick better players who fit our system of play. We have a core of a Premiership outfit. Possibly we were a wee bit lightweight physically up against their back 8 but that is talking about them not us. Also I think some of us, when we saw the playing conditions felt it wouldnt help our style of play. I think that is the only reason that their player didnt get a straight red, mabye the ref took into consideration skiddy surface. Pity KIko didnt get away with his but even he believed he deserved a red!

Norwood is having he season of his career. As are half the Sheff and Norwich squads who should they go up will find themselves moved on ala Douglas and not kick a ball in the Premier League.

Should Roberts and Bamford have done better? Well there was no end product form Bamford on Saturday, he was muscled out of position time and time again. But it is so hard when teams sit back so deep. I would love us to play two up front at home but it wont happen in this system.
Brown.
Our U23s match on thurs running for 120 mins then pens probably was a bridge too far for Brown. Plus we all bang on about game changing players, but like Clarke, like Douglas, like the rest who warm the bench each week they need a run in the side. Not just match fitness but sharpness. Does Bielsa not like Brown? I dunno?

Sometimes you strength can be your weakness. With Bielsa I detect that. He has a system. It works we know that. But being so convinced that IT WILL ALWAYS WORK is a weakness which will needed to be overcome if we are to succeed going forward, I feel that Brown not getting a proper run in the side reveals that. We need to adapt.

Coop made a mistake. So do we. We love him because he plays for the shirt. Move on..

Jansson should have been subbed when he got injured but he wanted to stay on and I wouldnt agrgue with him.. would you?? He wears his heart on his sleeve and he is just the sort of player we need fit and ready to fight for promotion

Pity we have two weeks to fret but Im sure the players arent tearing each other apart over the result and neither should we.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We were the better team

We weren't clinical enough, nothing new there !

If that's the way the blunts play to gain promotion, their stay in the premiership will be short-lived

Billy blunt couldn't hit a barn door when he was at ER

Sharp, McGoldrick & Norwood are more effective than some of our signings Douglas, Baker, Brown & Harrison

Both Bamford & Roberts have suffered long term injuries so difficult to judge them this season, we do tend to sign crocks

Still think Brown may not play a full 90 minutes for Leeds, if he does manage a few games & makes no impact then he would be yet another pointless signing

Cooper has had a magnificent season, he'll still be hurting this morning

Jansson is a class CB, hopefully his injury is not too serious

What does Grayson know about CB's, his teams were clueless defensively & generally needed three goals to win
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB

One fact has been proven. To get a job on Talksport you have to talk absolute shite.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 am Billy Sharp has failed to score in his last 8 I think I'm right in saying ...
Morning faaip, he can be afforded that luxury as he has already netted 23 times this season.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:08 am Top of the morning ladies and gents..

Sheffield rocked up with their version of anti football at the weekend. As expected.They hit us on the break three times, once in the first half when they didn't even end up offering a shot, once when Coop made and error and they scored ( and again that as in the Norwich game this happens because our back 3 have one eye on attack instead of playing their primary role of clearing the danger) and once when Kiko got a red card when we were in overload mode.

We were not brushed aside by a better side. Looking around the Championship I would be hard pushed to pick better players who fit our system of play. We have a core of a Premiership outfit. Possibly we were a wee bit lightweight physically up against their back 8 but that is talking about them not us. Also I think some of us, when we saw the playing conditions felt it wouldnt help our style of play. I think that is the only reason that their player didnt get a straight red, mabye the ref took into consideration skiddy surface. Pity KIko didnt get away with his but even he believed he deserved a red!

Norwood is having he season of his career. As are half the Sheff and Norwich squads who should they go up will find themselves moved on ala Douglas and not kick a ball in the Premier League.

Should Roberts and Bamford have done better? Well there was no end product form Bamford on Saturday, he was muscled out of position time and time again. But it is so hard when teams sit back so deep. I would love us to play two up front at home but it wont happen in this system.
Brown.
Our U23s match on thurs running for 120 mins then pens probably was a bridge too far for Brown. Plus we all bang on about game changing players, but like Clarke, like Douglas, like the rest who warm the bench each week they need a run in the side. Not just match fitness but sharpness. Does Bielsa not like Brown? I dunno?

Sometimes you strength can be your weakness. With Bielsa I detect that. He has a system. It works we know that. But being so convinced that IT WILL ALWAYS WORK is a weakness which will needed to be overcome if we are to succeed going forward, I feel that Brown not getting a proper run in the side reveals that. We need to adapt.

Coop made a mistake. So do we. We love him because he plays for the shirt. Move on..

Jansson should have been subbed when he got injured but he wanted to stay on and I wouldnt agrgue with him.. would you?? He wears his heart on his sleeve and he is just the sort of player we need fit and ready to fight for promotion

Pity we have two weeks to fret but Im sure the players arent tearing each other apart over the result and neither should we.
Morning Ian, great point about match sharpness.

I think Bamford is still carrying an injury, and because of this, his sharpness isn't there.

I know there is a World of difference between the U21's and the unforgiving Championship, but Brown possess the extra bit of skill needed for our team.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:53 am Morning Ian, great point about match sharpness.

I think Bamford is still carrying an injury, and because of this, his sharpness isn't there.

I know there is a World of difference between the U21's and the unforgiving Championship, but Brown possess the extra bit of skill needed for our team.
I understand what you are saying about Brown playing 120 minutes against a very talented Fulham outfit.

During the game he was the assist for the first goal, he scored the second, and he put away one of the pens!

Anybody on the bench should be match fit, (perhaps not match sharp)!

Brown has deserved more than 9 minutes game time during the 6 or 7 games he has been benched.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 am We were the better team

We weren't clinical enough, nothing new there !

If that's the way the blunts play to gain promotion, their stay in the premiership will be short-lived

Billy blunt couldn't hit a barn door when he was at ER

Sharp, McGoldrick & Norwood are more effective than some of our signings Douglas, Baker, Brown & Harrison

Both Bamford & Roberts have suffered long term injuries so difficult to judge them this season, we do tend to sign crocks

Still think Brown may not play a full 90 minutes for Leeds, if he does manage a few games & makes no impact then he would be yet another pointless signing

Cooper has had a magnificent season, he'll still be hurting this morning

Jansson is a class CB, hopefully his injury is not too serious

What does Grayson know about CB's, his teams were clueless defensively & generally needed three goals to win
Morning Leon, yes, we deserved so much more from Saturday, though I have to say what Wilder has done to his squad is probably better than what Bielsa has done to Leeds.

Not that I'm taking anything away from Bielsa - best Manager since Wilko!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:44 am Morning faaip, he can be afforded that luxury as he has already netted 23 times this season.
Evening Harry,

They get told to be controversial!

It gets the phone ringing!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I think you've been drinking too much EB, you quoting has fallen apart at the seams :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 am I understand what you are saying about Brown playing 120 minutes against a very talented Fulham outfit.

During the game he was the assist for the first goal, he scored the second, and he put away one of the pens!

Anybody on the bench should be match fit, (perhaps not match sharp)!

Brown has deserved more than 9 minutes game time during the 6 or 7 games he has been benched.
Morning EL.

I agree with you it was odd that Brown wasnt on the bench. And he has done the hard yards to get used more often. Do you think his bull in a china shop approach against QPR has caused Bielsa to think twice about using him? Just wondering...
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All from Luton airport (bleurgh)

Still so gutted about Saturday's result.
Shame we have to wait 2 weeks to get it out of our system.
There was no lack of effort on the players part but we just couldn't score.
How many times have we said that this season?
Let's hope Pontus' injury is not serious.
Sometimes I think he does over exaggerated his injury but not in this case, we was obviously struggling.

Patrick Bamford had a quiet game for sure but what he did, he did okay.

We just need to get this proxy international break out of the way so the lads can give Millwall a tonking.
All is not lost, the difference is still only a point. They can do it.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:07 am I think you've been drinking too much EB, you quoting has fallen apart at the seams :)
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:18 am Morning All from Luton airport (bleurgh)

Still so gutted about Saturday's result.
Shame we have to wait 2 weeks to get it out of our system.
There was no lack of effort on the players part but we just couldn't score.
How many times have we said that this season?
Let's hope Pontus' injury is not serious.
Sometimes I think he does over exaggerated his injury but not in this case, we was obviously struggling.

Patrick Bamford had a quiet game for sure but what he did, he did okay.

We just need to get this proxy international break out of the way so the lads can give Millwall a tonking.
All is not lost, the difference is still only a point. They can do it.

Chilli
Morning Chilli D, from the off it looked like a nil - nil all day long.

I wonder if that's what the gaffer was looking for?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 am :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol:

However back to the pundits on Talksport being controversial because that is their job.

It's easy to change that, people should simple not call in, and in fact not even tune in, until they change the way they run their show.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 am :lol:

However back to the pundits on Talksport being controversial because that is their job.

It's easy to change that, people should simple not call in, and in fact not even tune in, until they change the way they run their show.
Controversy creates cash!!!

The more outlandish the statement, the more listeners they get / people like us talking about the.

Best case in point is Adrian Durham - he's great at saying controversial things to get a reaction!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

I wish there was a 'like' button
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »