Album Club Review - ????

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album Club Review - R.E.M. 'Out Of Time' & Supertramp 'Crime Of The Century' REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:52 pm There are album bands and there are live bands ..Supertramp were a live band..Wishbone Ash also
Wishbone were an album band, their first three albums are 5 star, I prefer Ash's debut & Pilgrimage albums to the more accessible 3rd release Argus

Argus reached No.3 in the album chart in the days of million albums sales achieved without a hit single to promote this classic album, in fact Wishbone made no impression on the singles charts whatsoever unlike other top selling bands. Also they had minimal media coverage but sold out venues all over the UK. Albums sold on their quality not on hype in those days.

Three great albums & top drawer live band
1964white

Re: Album Club Review - R.E.M. 'Out Of Time' & Supertramp 'Crime Of The Century' REVIEWS PLEASE

Post by 1964white »

I forgot to add

Argus was awarded Album of the Year by Sounds magazine (a respected music magazine at that time)

To be given such an accolade in 1972, a year full of brilliant albums so it has to be 5 star
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wonder what it would come out like if we went back and did albums of the year retrospectively...could be interesting
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:38 am Wonder what it would come out like if we went back and did albums of the year retrospectively...could be interesting
I doubt it would make the top three

Ziggy would win it with Exile On Main St, Roxy Music debut, Can't Buy A Thrill, Transformer, Pink Moon, Harvest, Talking Book, Sabbath Vol 4, Close To The Edge, Machine Head, Foxtrot, Thick As A Brick & more all gathering votes
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am I doubt it would make the top three

Ziggy would win it with Exile On Main St, Roxy Music debut, Can't Buy A Thrill, Transformer, Pink Moon, Harvest, Talking Book, Sabbath Vol 4, Close To The Edge, Machine Head, Foxtrot, Thick As A Brick & more all gathering votes
What a fantastic year 1972 was!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:02 pm What a fantastic year 1972 was!
Of the few I mentioned Sara there were varying genres of classic albums
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:38 am Wonder what it would come out like if we went back and did albums of the year retrospectively...could be interesting
Several new members involved in the music polls now since we did those album polls
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 am I forgot to add

Argus was awarded Album of the Year by Sounds magazine (a respected music magazine at that time)

To be given such an accolade in 1972, a year full of brilliant albums so it has to be 5 star
I remember buying Sounds when still at school. I think I drifted from NME into getting Sounds as it was more rock/focused than NME was :moggy:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Supertramp 'Crime Of The Century'

“Crime Of The Century” is probably one of the most unknown progressive albums that can be called truly amazing. The sound of this album just takes you into another world. It’s one of the few albums I know that perfectly combines catchy songwriting with the epic darkness of the progressive rock. I don’t think any of Supertramp’s other albums come anywhere close to this. I love some of their other stuff too, but there is just something special about this album. Supertramp are not one of my favourite bands but this is one my favourite albums of all time. This album isn’t for just anyone. You need to have an open mind, and an appreciation for music that isn’t the norm. At the same time though, it isn’t an “out-of-whack” progressive album, it’s a work of art.

Favourite songs

Rudy
If Everyone Was Listening
Crime of the Century
Hide In Your Shell

Rating

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

R.E.M 'Out Of Time'

Yes this album was a departure, but no, it’s not so radical a departure that it is unrecognisable as R.E.M. Out of Time moves this unconventional band another step forward; a discernible connection to past records remains, but it is not constricting. The point is that R.E.M did it again: defied and fulfilled the conflicting expectation of a broad, mainstream audience and a smaller, more demanding and possessive cult following.
'Country Feedback' has to be the best song the band has ever written. 'Losing My Religion' still makes feel happy nearly thirty years on since I first heard this classic song.

Rating

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

This has inspired me to revisit REM for the first time in years, and rediscover what I loved about them in the first place. Murmur and Reckoning are still their best records imo, possibly followed by Document.

I think I decided a while ago that they hadn't aged well, probably because they lost me as an albums band after Document, but the early stuff is still fresh.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:00 pm This has inspired me to revisit REM for the first time in years, and rediscover what I loved about them in the first place. Murmur and Reckoning are still their best records imo, possibly followed by Document.

I think I decided a while ago that they hadn't aged well, probably because they lost me as an albums band after Document, but the early stuff is still fresh.
They are the albums that got me into R.E.M during the 80's Sara, think I'm only one short of competing their set of studio albums on my shelves. I love there edgy & poppy stuff
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

It's strange that they don't seem to have a new generation of fans, which maybe adds to the sense that they haven't aged well. I never hear the younger generation mention them.... or Dire Straits or U2 for that matter.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 am It's strange that they don't seem to have a new generation of fans, which maybe adds to the sense that they haven't aged well. I never hear the younger generation mention them.... or Dire Straits or U2 for that matter.
The younger generation I know tend to go back & experiment the 60's/70's era's
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:05 am The younger generation I know tend to go back & experiment the 60's/70's era's
Yes, same here. Strange that the 'alternative' guitar bands of the 80s get overlooked.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Both albums are often on our playlist during our long journey's

Crime Of The Century

Out Of Time

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Mrs 64's nominated albums

Supertramp 'Crime Of The Century'

5.0 Mrs 64
5.0 Ges
5.0 64
2.5 Faaip
2.0 Sara
2.0 Cat

3.6 Average rating

R.E.M. 'Out Of Time'

5.0 Mrs 64
5.0 64
4.5 Ian
4.0 Ges
3.0 Faaip
3.0 Cat
2.0 Sara

3.8 Average rating
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Expected a few more reviews on these two classic albums :o
hector

Post by hector »

have now got them again, but not had time to listen to them yet... But ..... I will do very soon.
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anymore reviews for the current two albums