Album Club Review - ????

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Album Club Review

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:58 pm Black Sabbath - Paranoid

5 Haighy
4 Ges
4 64
3 1304
1 Faaip
0 Rat

2.8 Average Rating

Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood

4 64
2.5 Ian
2 Faaip
0 Ges

2.1 Average Rating

I voted for the Sabbath Album too. :duno:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:56 pm I voted for the Sabbath Album too. :duno:
You did Ian....my apologies
1964white

Re: Album Club Review - Sabbath/Manics

Post by 1964white »

Cat will be in despair with these current ratings ;-)

No wonder he has disappeared from this topic :lol:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:02 am Cat will be in despair with these current ratings ;-)

No wonder he has disappeared from this topic :lol:

I think you could take my msp score away as I didn't play it, so didn't really give it a score.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:51 am I think you could take my msp score away as I didn't play it, so didn't really give it a score.
Ok mate even though you'd have nilled it :lol: will improve the average a little
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Both albums now almost 3/5 which are not bad ratings

More to come hopefully
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Had a listen to Lifeblood last night, and it became very clear very quickly why I had been ignoring it! Pretty bland album throughout, with no stand-out tracks. The fact that they had their guitar sound low in the mix, relying heavily on keyboards and synthesisers instead, doesn't help it in my opinion. I like the track Cardiff Afterlife, reflecting on the loss of Richey Edwards, and Always/Never but the rest of the album is instantly forgettable. As a MSP fan, I take no pleasure in this, but I can see why the band grew to dislike this album. 2 stars only
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lifeblood rating going down again like a escalator :roflmao:

Time for you to have your say Cat
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Leon was playing Lifeblood the other night

Quite nice & a easy album to listen to. I would give it a 3
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

5 Haighy
4 Ges
4 64
3 1304
2.5 Ian
1 Faaip
0 Rat

2.8 Average Rating

4 64
3 Mrs 64
2.5 Ian
2 Faaip
2 1304

2.7 Average Rating
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:35 pm Lifeblood rating going down again like a escalator :roflmao:

Time for you to have your say Cat
I've been running around a bit like a blue ar*ed fly the last few days, so other than quickly logging in and out to put up my 'Donkey of the Day' I haven't had time to ponder the posts on this thread.

Anyway, (now sat down with Hobgoblin in hand :) ) I see neither album put forward is doing very well .

I'm not overly surprised though really :( . I think with Sabbath you either like/or don't the style/genre and with the Manics you either like the band or you don't - so two servings of Marmite :sick: .

Paranoid - I always umm and err between Paranoid and Master of Reality as to my favourite Sabbath album, but went for Paranoid as it contains my favourite Sabbath track, War Pigs.
For me the best tracks (along with WPs) are Hand of Doom, Fairies Wear Boots, Electric Funeral and Planet Caravan, with Iron Man just a notch below..
Paranoid (the track) probably suffers from over familiarity and over-playing and I will concede Rat Salad just sounds like a filler.

When the album came out in 1970 I was only 6, so I came into them later, only really listening to Sabbath after Heaven and Hell (with RJ Dio at the vocal helm) and went back to their earlier catalogue. Ozzy's sound is distinctive and just seems a perfect fit for those first 5 albums (went downhill after SBS) and they deliver such a distinctive sound, that sounds like no one else - Tony's riffs and the bass/drums team of Geezer and Bill.

For me (notwithstanding Rat Salad) it has to be 5*****

Lifeblood - As I think I put in an earlier post on this thread I'm no great fan of the Manics earlier (with Richey E) output. I can understand why people probably overlook this album as it could seem a bit wishy-washy, as it's not rock and probably not indie. In fact I'm not really sure how you'd describe it. That being said it is my favourite Manics album (and having just counted them I have 14). Whilst there are no stand out 'anthems' like Design for Life on this album it delivers (IMO) an album full of consistently good songs, my favourites being Solitude Sometimes Is, A Song For Departure and Always/Never.

Whilst I'm not saying it's up there with my Top/5*/GOAT albums I do like it, so will give it 4**** and a half

It's really difficult to just pick 2 albums so I went for one everyone/most knows well and one by a band everyone knows, but not one of their better known/popular ones. I'm looking forward to future selections (although faaip I'm already anticipating I won't even have heard of the 2 you'll put up :) )

2.8 and 2.7 :roll: .......................NONE OF YOU HAVE ANY TASTE !!!!! (Haighy, Ges, 64 and Mrs 64 excepted :tup: ) :) :moggy: )
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

5 Cat
5 Haighy
4 Ges
4 64
3 1304
2.5 Ian
1 Faaip
0 Rat

3.1 Average Rating

4.5 Cat
4 64
3 Mrs 64
2.5 Ian
2 Faaip
2 1304

3.0 Average Rating
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Anyone who wishes to join in & rate the Sabbath/Manics at a late date by all means do so.

Eight reviewers is a good start
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We'll move on

So who is next to nominate two of their favourite albums ?
gessa

Album Club Review - Counting Crows/Pearl Jam

Post by gessa »

2 x 5* albums from me.

Pearl Jam - Ten

Counting Crows- August and Everything After
gessa

Re: Album Club Review - Counting Crows/Pearl Jam

Post by gessa »

Or are they too obvious?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:48 pm Or are they too obvious?
Obvious for you mate :tup: should go well but you never know :duno:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Easy for me as they're two of the most played albums here. I know them both like family members
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ges is in the chair

Do you rate or hate his choices ?

Get your headphones on folks 8-)
Muppet the Cat

Re: Album Club Review - Counting Crows/Pearl Jam

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Ummm…………..I have not a jot (not even the odd individual track on my iPod music library) by either of these two.

What I've heard of from CC is OK, but have never be that impressed to actually buy anything by them. Have I been missing something all this time ??? :duno: we'll see :)

Have never taken to PJ at all, can't stand Vedder's voice, so am anticipating that this one will be a painful listen and a likely :tdown: , but heh an open mind at this point :duno:

:moggy: