From Spygate to Sockgate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

From Spygate to Sockgate

Post by Irish Ian »

What will happen next in this crazy season?

I had heard about Leeds fans snapping up tickets in the home section of Ashton Gate only for the Bristol to revoke the tickets and resale them to home supporters. Which is fair enough

BUT this takes the biscuit :-D

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown was the chief cheerleader for Leeds to receive a points deduction over the Spygate controversey.

"The only thing that makes sense if I'm honest is a points deduction," tax haven enthusiast Lansdown said in January.

"They ought to seriously consider it but I don't think that will happen as I don't think the EFL will be strong enough to do something like that.

"A fine would go someway towards showing it's not acceptable. Whatever happens we mustn't condone it."

Sockgate

A fan on Twitter claimed that he and his two sons were ejected from the family area at Ashton Gate as the two youngsters were wearing Leeds United socks. He claims that he was told this was fine when booking tickets, but he pleas fell on deaf ears at the game and the family had to return to Cornwall.

Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani soon waded in, retweeting the supporter's message and taking aim at the Robins.

Andrea Radrizzani

@andrearadri
This is unacceptable and we will invite the family at Elland Road as guests. what can you expect from a club whom request points deductions for no reasons and didn’t accept our documentary crew to access at the ground and follow our team. Focus on Reading now #mot 💛💙

Philip Joel
@PhilipJoel
PLEASE CAN ALL MY FOLLOWERS RETWEET!!!! REALLY @BristolCity

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter
10:36 AM - Mar 10, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
2,946 people are talking about this
"This is unacceptable and we will invite the family at Elland Road as guests," the Italian posted before referencing back to the Spygate saga. "What can you expect from a club whom request points deductions for no reasons and didn’t accept our documentary crew to access at the ground and follow our team. Focus on Reading now."

The documentary crew he refers to are the filmmakers from Eleven Studios, an offshoot of Radrizzani's sports media firm and Leeds-based The City Talking who are currently filming a 'high-end docu-series' about the club this season and have been present home and away this term.

Crazy crazy season
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
gessa

Re: From Spygate to Sockgate

Post by gessa »

A lot of outrage about this, daft thing to go into the home end in any away regalia, even socks, as they got noticed. I've seen it all over, jump up when they score and it comes to blows, family section or not.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

gessa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:51 pm A lot of outrage about this, daft thing to go into the home end in any away regalia, even socks, as they got noticed. I've seen it all over, jump up when they score and it comes to blows, family section or not.
totally agree, wonder what some people are thinking sometimes...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Deffo Bristol in the right to reject fans wearing Leeds socks even if it is young kids in a family section - presumably the Dad was a Leeds fan too. I have been in the away section 3 times, Newcastle, Man U and Macclesfield and certainly wouldn't have dreamt of wearing and Leeds clothing and risking not getting in, or getting chucked out. Didn't even celebrate (outwardly) when Leeds scored, which they did in all 3. If an opposition fan was spotted in a Leeds section we'd all be getting the stewards to remove them, some may even try to remove them themselves. Just asking for trouble.

And the line claiming that someone told him it was fine when booking the tickets is about as believable as Shaun Harvey being a closet Leeds fan.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

It does sound like it could have been handled with more sensitivity. Was it really necessary to eject children from the family section for wearing the wrong socks? Bristol were probably within their rights, but they've made themselves look petty imo.

They were a club I had no particular feelings about one way or the other prior to this season, but they're now firmly filed under 'dislike'.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I probably wont get much agreement in here but the whole segregation if fans issue really belongs to the past.

We are continually being conditioned by seeing fans segregated. Not belonging in certain sections of the ground.

I wonder what it is about the ball being round instead of oval that means I cant approach a football ground from any direction I choose and watch a match from anywhere I choose, without a beer in my hand if I so choose. All because of the colour of the scarf I may have hanging around my neck.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

SaraM wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:45 pm It does sound like it could have been handled with more sensitivity. Was it really necessary to eject children from the family section for wearing the wrong socks? Bristol were probably within their rights, but they've made themselves look petty imo.

They were a club I had no particular feelings about one way or the other prior to this season, but they're now firmly filed under 'dislike'.
Likely though that Bristol would have come to the conclusion that the Dad is a Leeds fan too and as such they couldn't eject the Dad and leave the children in the stadium. I would be very doubtful that the Dad was a Bristol fan and had somehow raised 2 children who both supported Leeds. As such the Dad seems to be a bit of a d*ck that thought he could use his children to avoid being chucked out. No sympathy whatsoever.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Yeah not so sure about this, while its sad for the kids i find it hard to believe BCFC would agree to let away supporters in the Family stand. Been in the home fans for Leeds away games quite a few times and you stay very quiet and incognito, you dont wear Leeds anything no matter how young (not the kids fault).

He should have contacted LUFC, seen if they could help him out with some tickets in the away end or maybe a corporate thing.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Not impressed with AR over this either. Wonder what Leeds policy is if away fans book tickets in the Leeds family area?
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:19 pm Not impressed with AR over this either. Wonder what Leeds policy is if away fans book tickets in the Leeds family area?
Saturday night Tweet, perhaps after a few glasses of vino to celebrate a vital 3 points, seemed a good idea at the time ?????
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:27 am Likely though that Bristol would have come to the conclusion that the Dad is a Leeds fan too and as such they couldn't eject the Dad and leave the children in the stadium. I would be very doubtful that the Dad was a Bristol fan and had somehow raised 2 children who both supported Leeds.
I don't see the relevance. He's hardly likely to have travelled up from Cornwall to kick off with two kids in tow. As others have said, going in the home end when you can't get an away ticket is hardly an uncommon occurrence; the only infringement seems to be the colour of the children's socks.

The fact that he was open about it, and even checked it out with Bristol first, absolves him of dickishness imo. Sounds like a combination of over zealous stewarding with a lack of communication with their own ticket office. I'd be really pissed off if I was ejected under those circumstances.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I am sceptical that he actually asked anyone when he bought the tickets. If you did that the very least you'd do is take the name of the person who said it was okay.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

You could be right, of course, but it's still possible that a steward wouldn't believe him, and be unable or unwilling to check. Agree it was daft wearing any colours though.