QPR V Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline: QPR v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
20%
2-2
No votes
3-3 or higher
No votes
QPR by 1
10%
Leeds by 1
30%
QPR by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
30%
QPR by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
10%

Total votes: 10

SG90
Manager
Manager

Re: QPR V Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by SG90 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Cjay wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 pm
But if you want definite improvements they cost, if you wait around for bargains all the time your playing a risky game as we found out with James.

It wouldn't have broke the bank to spend a decent amount in January to replace Saiz and get the winger MB wanted.

We will pay the price for not adding quality like our rivals did in January imo.
Also the loan market as well. Andy King, Johansen, Montero, Dowell all players I mentioned we should sign and they all go elsewhere, while we fanny about as usual.
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:37 pm

SaraM wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 pm
Exactly, look at Stoke, Villa, or Forest. I still think Marcelo's 'only buy when it's a definite upgrade on what we have' is the right way, otherwise you soon end up with a bloated squad and a huge wage bill.

Tonight is very disappointing, but I'm not losing faith. I don't know what it takes to get the spark back, but we know what they can be capable of. Maybe just file under the vagaries of championship football, and go again on Friday.
Well said. A lot about promotion is holding your nerve and bouncing back quickly. If we'd beaten QPR and then lost to WBA fans would be down, however if we beat WBA now then it is a huge lift.

There is not a lot wrong with the way we are playing, it is the same problems that we have had all season but perhaps worse now with Roofe being absent and Pablo and Klich not scoring. We just don't have many players on the pitch who look like scoring. If you don't take your chances then when you do concede it becomes so much more crucial (doesn't matter too much if you concede 1 when 3 or 4 up). It could however all change very quickly if Bamford, Pablo and Klich all rediscover their scoring boots and throw Tyler Toberts in too. Suddenly we would look very potent and could blow teams away. If Bamford scores the great chance first half we might have gone on to win 2 or 3-0. We don't take the chance the opposition take theirs and we then miss a couple of really good chances.

In 1990 and 92 we had big wobbles along the way. After being top 2 all year in 1989-1990 we suddenly looked like missing out an automatic promotion with some poor results against teams we'd expect to beat. Again a lot was down to the pressure and it was a similar situation to know in that we were desperate for promotion and the play-off final loss of 1987 was still fresh. In 1992 our chance looked over after losing 4-1 to QPR in March, not long after that and we got thrashed 4-0 by Man City. It all seemed to be slipping away and a 0-0 draw away to Liverpool looked like the final nail in our coffin despite it being a good result taken in isolation. However the pressure got to our rival and they dropped points that no one really expected them to - who's to say how the pressure will affect Norwich and Sheff Utd?
Senor El Weasel

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:41 pm

SG90 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 pm
Also the loan market as well. Andy King, Johansen, Montero, Dowell all players I mentioned we should sign and they all go elsewhere, while we fanny about as usual.
Johansen was the one, he was the one player who moved this window i really hoped we would go for.

Just seemed like a no brainer.

Its done though, will just have to wait and see if again another poor January costs us.

Actually when did we have a good January?

When was the last time a January window had a positive impact on our season.

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:43 pm

Lets be honest, 'to do something soon to get that spark back' is a big ask with our squad......IMO play offs surely, lets be strong then and win promotion at Wembley !!

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 pm

Cjay wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:41 pm
Johansen was the one, he was the one player who moved this window i really hoped we would go for.

Just seemed like a no brainer.

Its done though, will just have to wait and see if again another poor January costs us.

Actually when did we have a good January?

When was the last time a January window had a positive impact on our season.
The only one I can think of is 09/10 when we kept Beckford and got promoted. We traditionally always do badly in the January transfer window, it's the part of the season I hate most. :cry:
What I want from an owner: 1. Ambition. 2. Wage bill control. 3. Cut spending on loan fees. 4. Better scouting. 5. Get bigger fees for our best players. 6.No ego.

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 pm

weasel wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:37 pm
Well said. A lot about promotion is holding your nerve and bouncing back quickly. If we'd beaten QPR and then lost to WBA fans would be down, however if we beat WBA now then it is a huge lift.

There is not a lot wrong with the way we are playing, it is the same problems that we have had all season but perhaps worse now with Roofe being absent and Pablo and Klich not scoring. We just don't have many players on the pitch who look like scoring. If you don't take your chances then when you do concede it becomes so much more crucial (doesn't matter too much if you concede 1 when 3 or 4 up). It could however all change very quickly if Bamford, Pablo and Klich all rediscover their scoring boots and throw Tyler Toberts in too. Suddenly we would look very potent and could blow teams away. If Bamford scores the great chance first half we might have gone on to win 2 or 3-0. We don't take the chance the opposition take theirs and we then miss a couple of really good chances.

In 1990 and 92 we had big wobbles along the way. After being top 2 all year in 1989-1990 we suddenly looked like missing out an automatic promotion with some poor results against teams we'd expect to beat. Again a lot was down to the pressure and it was a similar situation to know in that we were desperate for promotion and the play-off final loss of 1987 was still fresh. In 1992 our chance looked over after losing 4-1 to QPR in March, not long after that and we got thrashed 4-0 by Man City. It all seemed to be slipping away and a 0-0 draw away to Liverpool looked like the final nail in our coffin despite it being a good result taken in isolation. However the pressure got to our rival and they dropped points that no one really expected them to - who's to say how the pressure will affect Norwich and Sheff Utd?
We keep saying that though and how many points are we going to keep throwing away by gifting opposition cheap goals and missing chances? We have to step up now, no more defeats and start taking our chances.

Everyone keeps going on about our squad, but then I look at Sheff Utd's and think is theirs that good? Who realistically would improve our starting XI from them? Norwood perhaps, but again he's a loanee.

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:50 pm

[/url]
60sUnited wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:43 pm
Lets be honest, 'to do something soon to get that spark back' is a big ask with our squad......IMO play offs surely, lets be strong then and win promotion at Wembley !!
God no not the playoffs, consistency isnt exactly our strong point.

We have been top 2 most of the season, top at Xmas, we should be aiming for the title, we should have added the quality a title contender needs in January :evil:

But as you say our squad probably hasnt got it in them to "do something soon". . .how deflating :(

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 pm

SG90 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 pm
The only one I can think of is 09/10 when we kept Beckford and got promoted. We traditionally always do badly in the January transfer window, it's the part of the season I hate most. :cry:
You'd think we'd have learned by now to stop pishing about in January :(

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:55 pm

weasel wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Makes the decision to not add quality in the offensive areas in January even more ridiculous.

Its been our issue all season and we did nothing to address it.

MB has done a fantastic job but i refuse to believe he wouldn't have accepted 2 or 3 quality additions in January, but they cost and as we know Radz is not one to push the boat out in that respect preferring to hope for a bargain, a decision that bit us in the ass.

SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:56 pm

Doing my head in everyone going on about the playoffs. For one, we never turn up in them. Number two, all our key players would get injured knowing our luck. Number three, we have been top 2 all bloody season and every team top at Christmas goes up. Why are we not aiming for automatic? Sick of hearing about Norwich and Sheff Utd as well tbh and how they are guaranteed to win every game. They will slip up too.

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:04 am

I only followed tonight's game on the commentary, but it sounded like we were creating chances which came down to fine margins again. Two or three players finding form could therefore be the difference. Points are like calories in that it doesn't really matter where they come from.

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am

SG90 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 pm
Everyone keeps going on about our squad, but then I look at Sheff Utd's and think is theirs that good? Who realistically would improve our starting XI from them? Norwood perhaps, but again he's a loanee.
I've been thinking that too. What have they done since spending 7 years, or whatever it was, in league 1 and coming up with Northampton's manager? There's been no huge investment there, and they're still relying on Billy Blunt as far as I can see.

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 am

Cjay wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:55 pm
MB has done a fantastic job but i refuse to believe he wouldn't have accepted 2 or 3 quality additions in January, but they cost and as we know Radz is not one to push the boat out in that respect preferring to hope for a bargain, a decision that bit us in the ass.
I really don't think it's about being tight with money. There were surely cheaper options than Casilla and James to go for if that was the case. We were top of the league on the back of 7 wins in a row, and it's notoriously difficult to get good signings in January. The main issue was the keeper, and we look to have made a top addition there. As has been said, there's no guarantee that anyone coming in would have hit the ground running in Bielsa's system anyway.

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 am

SaraM wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am
and they're still relying on Billy Blunt as far as I can see.
But he is scoring goals for them....

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:57 am

I'm not having a go at anyone. But watching this evening was woeful, really really woeful. We should be much better than that. Passes going astray, chances going missing, pathetic corners.....I just don't know what to think. So dissappointed, and to think that all the Leeds Utd supporters who turned up (our very own 64's 18 hour round trip to name but one) had to endure that rubbish, but kept singing and cheering the team on....well.....words fail me. I can only hope, hope, hope...for something better on Friday evening. I won't hold my breath. A sickened Swannie....

jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:54 am

First post of the season as I couldn't bare getting so psyched and then have to deal with the predictable post christmas slump. It has been fits and starts since new year but fundamentally players have been inconsistent. Maybe spygate had a big influence too. However even with the devastating early season injuries in defence we battled through and did amazing but truley without goals you don't win.

Alioski who in thought was and still is much improved from last season has hit a bad slump, Klich also has been disappointing and Hernandez looks good around bad players. His set pieces are dire.

I expect to get absolutely dicked by WBA on Friday but hopefully we will go on a t match winning streak aferwards like we did last time we got badly beaten by them.

Keep the faith

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:48 am

Bugger
We're going up like there is no gravity!

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:17 am

I watched Bielsa's post match interview and he was scathing with some of his answers.
"Were you frustrated at the loss?" What the hell is that kind of question?
What do reporters hope to gain by asking such stupid question. Of course you would
be frustrated losing to a team near the bottom of the table, but what they want is to
hear the gnashing of teeth, and the renting of clothes, the donning of sackcloth,
and the ashes of regret and remorse on his head. He will not be brought down to
that level and grovel in self pity.

Yes but no but yes but no but "Don't you think your team is running out of energy?"
Don't you have eyes to see that the team may have too much energy. They run and don't
get weary. Again it is a distraction, placing stumbling blocks in the pathway, Casting doubt,
Gríma Wormtongue whispering in his ear. Trying to spread fear and confusion.
Bielsa is having none of it... you have to believe the evidence before you own eyes.

He has stood up to lack of transfers, small team, Spygate, injuries. He has been constant
in his thoughts as he has been with his team selection, and should be praised for that.

He is an exceptional manager.

Chilli D
First Team
First Team

Post by Chilli D » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:34 am

So, so disappointed this morning, what a wasted chance that was.
You just knew QPR's losing streak would come to an end against us.
For the first time this season I am starting to think we are destined for the play offs. I do hope I'm wrong.
Friday night becomes a must win now or at the least a 'must not lose'
We desperately need Jack Clarke back to provide some attacking flair, someone to unlock defences with a moment of brilliant skill.
All is not lost by any means but the next four games will decide our destiny, I feel.

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 am

rab_rant wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:17 am
He is an exceptional manager.
Indeed he is. Reminds me a bit of how Wilkinson was treated - he achieved so much so soon that fans suddenly think that is the norm. At the start of the season we would have all been delighted to be 3rd at this stage of the season so we almost need to forget that we were slightly higher. In some respects the season is only really starting now and more than ever we need everyone together to pull in the same direction. Things can change very quickly in football - just look at Hull City, they were awful, suddenly won 6 or 7 games on the bounce and looked great and now they look sh*te again. Bristol on a great run of wins now 2 losses in a row. There are still no teams for us to fear we just need a few of our players to get their confidence back, if Bamford, Klich, Pablo and Roberts find their scoring boots again then we can go on a decent run. We do seem to have got a bit tighter at the back again, conceding 1 goal in each of our last 4 matches so as long as we can keep that side of things tight and start scoring ourselves we should start winning again, we don't need 4 or 5 goals to win if we remain tight at the back.
Senor El Weasel

Advertisment