A good transfer window or not?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

A good transfer window or not?

Post by weasel »

The window is shut and we are all a little disappointed with the Dan James deal falling through (with no blame at our end seemingly). So this leaves us with 2 players coming in Kiko Casillas and the young Polish lad. Well before the window start nearly everyone agreed the biggest need we had was for a keeper and we have signed a very experienced keeper who on paper looks a bit of a coup for us. The young Pole could be another highly rated youngster who fails to live up to his potential or he could be a sensation, only time will tell.

So on the incoming the priority was sorted, the secondary target sadly didn't arrive. No sign that Bielsa wanted any further players, centre backs etc.

Now perhaps just as importantly nobody of note has left. Many doom mongerers were quick to suggest Clarke would be off, amongst others. Well he is here and perhaps that in itself is more important than signing James. Nobody else has gone despite AR supposedly just being a money grabber according to some.

All in all I would say it was a pretty good transfer window for us and but for Swansea messing us about would have been a great one.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: A good transfer window or not?

Post by HarryofOz »

I didn't expect or want much more, so you could say that I think it was a good one.

Did the crucial thing and brought in a new keeper - our major weakness, even if you do rate BPF as a good keeper which I do. We now have two quality keepers.

We kept hold of all our key players, in fact we didn't lose anyone who has featured regularly in the first team squad on match days, which is another plus.

Of course it would have been nice to spend a fortune, but I don't think that it's necessary for our promotion hopes.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I was very happy with the Casillas signing, James would have been nice too but when you consider we often sell in January and it's a notoriously difficult window, so I'd say a decent window.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

I would say it wasn't good or bad. Average. GK was the priority and that was sorted. But this debacle with James has spoilt things for me.

There is talk now that Leeds tried to move the goalposts payment wise at the end over a petty amount ( in footballing terms) of £750k

If that is true, it is utterly ridiculous and makes you realise how cash flow is still a major issue at LUFC.

And given the apparent lack of funds, have to go back to the Saiz Transfer here. Given he wanted to leave so badly and so quickly and given Getafe were so keen on him, we should have played hard ball and been much tougher in our stance. Should have insisted on a full transfer and fee on Jan 1st. We could have them used this cash to secure James now !! Poor Business sense from us there as far as i am concerned.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

If we’d have got James in I would have said a good window but probably have to downgrade that to acceptable. Having said that - we’ve had a lot worse!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Gurj wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:41 am I would say it wasn't good or bad. Average. GK was the priority and that was sorted. But this debacle with James has spoilt things for me.

There is talk now that Leeds tried to move the goalposts payment wise at the end over a petty amount ( in footballing terms) of £750k

If that is true, it is utterly ridiculous and makes you realise how cash flow is still a major issue at LUFC.

And given the apparent lack of funds, have to go back to the Saiz Transfer here. Given he wanted to leave so badly and so quickly and given Getafe were so keen on him, we should have played hard ball and been much tougher in our stance. Should have insisted on a full transfer and fee on Jan 1st. We could have them used this cash to secure James now !! Poor Business sense from us there as far as i am concerned.
Phil Hay reported last night/this morning that we were going to pay Swansea £1.5m on 1st June. Swansea said they wanted half up front, we said ok but then they cut off all communication. None of us are privvy to what exactly went on, but I don't think the club are at fault this time.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I never expected us to sign anyone of any calibre in the window as I realised last summer Radz is not prepared serious dosh on our squad.

The signing of Casilla is a massive plus hopefully

We've had serious problems when Jansson, Cooper, Hernandez & Roofe have missed games through injury, lost many points in my opinion but we still remain top so hopefully we can muddle through & achieve a automatic place with what we have at our disposal

Not signing a quality creative midfielder may backfire on us as we are extremely vulnerable in that department, totally reliant on Pablo

Jansson, Phillips, Roofe & Clarke have all been rumoured with moves to the premiership so retaining our quality players is essential to what we hope to achieve in the next three months
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

A keeper from Real Madrid and a talented youngster, I think we've done alright this window. And no jewels sold. From what I've seen, only moneybags WBA have strengthened, and that was probably always going to be the case with them. Notoriously difficult window to do business in, so I'm not going to grumble with our outcome.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:41 am I would say it wasn't good or bad. Average. GK was the priority and that was sorted. But this debacle with James has spoilt things for me.

Radz refuses to spend because he will sell our club if we are promoted for a big fat profit, right now there's only one winner in this scenario !

We require proper investment if we go up, he won't be able to p*ss in the pot in the premiership & getaway with appearing to be a bunch of cheapskates

We're not the only club with foreign owners who are in football for a quick buck, we've struck lucky because of the exceptional coaching skills of Marcelo
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

1964white wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 am Radz refuses to spend because he will sell our club if we are promoted for a big fat profit, right now there's only one winner in this scenario !

We require proper investment if we go up, he won't be able to p*ss in the pot in the premiership & getaway with appearing to be a bunch of cheapskates

We're not the only club with foreign owners who are in football for a quick buck, we've struck lucky because of the exceptional coaching skills of Marcelo

So Far!

Id Rather go up to the prem and be skint than hang about down here for another 15 years.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Well we got 2 out 3 targets so all in all it wasn't bad.
The James fiasco really rankles with me though.
It is what it is though, we've got who we've got. Time to move on.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The signing of Kiko exceeded my expectations.

I am actually pleased that we don't just sign players for the sake of it. So many clubs struggling with bloated squads and inflated wage bills with no guarantee of success. Would you honestly rather be someone like Forest?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 am A keeper from Real Madrid and a talented youngster, I think we've done alright this window. And no jewels sold. From what I've seen, only moneybags WBA have strengthened, and that was probably always going to be the case with them. Notoriously difficult window to do business in, so I'm not going to grumble with our outcome.
WBA though have also been weakened with Barnes returning to Leicester after doing really well on loan.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

weasel wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 pm WBA though have also been weakened with Barnes returning to Leicester after doing really well on loan.
Good point
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 pm WBA though have also been weakened with Barnes returning to Leicester after doing really well on loan.
I didn't realised Barnes was back at Leicester

That has cheered me up :-D
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Fuuny how things work out cos if Barnes had come to us then we'd have likely have not seen Clarke play and we would now be having a meltdown with him returning to Leicester.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Its difficult to grade this window.

Kiko Casilla is a high calibre signing, great pedigree and Victor and Radz deserve great credit for that.

Mateusz Bogusz is a highly rated young man, has talent and may become a surprise key player this season, who knows.

Keeping Jack Clarke makes me a very happy Cjay, was convinced hed go and he hasnt so thats fantastic :)

But!!!!

Radz and Orta have left Bielsa with a wealer squad then before.

Didnt replace Saiz and once again failed to get the winger Bielsa wanted, remember he wanted one in the summer to.

2 windows to get a winger and failing is incompetent.

Clearly Swansea have messed us about but we havent covered ourselves in glory either.

We should have got James permanently, he was Bielsa's main target, we should have made sure that we got him.

Whether that meant £8mil up front or whatever, its about backing your manager.

If we did quibble over the loan fee (and we may, lets be honest we very well may) then thats very poor from us.

So id say an average window, 5/10.

Clarke staying, Casilla.

The potential of Bogusz is good.

But we should have done more to get Dan James, we should have done more to get Johansen (Norwegian agent confirmed we enquired) we should have done more to replace Saiz.

Making MBs squad weaker in this window was inexcusable and allowing things to drag on till the last knockings was very poor and naive.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Yes Barnes may have gone which is/was a big blow but they made three excellent acquisitions last night.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gurj wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm Yes Barnes may have gone which is/was a big blow but they made three excellent acquisitions last night.
I wonder whether their fans though would have happily not seen any new signings if the trade-off had seen them keep Barnes.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Excellent window. Top keeper signed, a Polish wonder kid and didn't lose anyone important.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"