Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:24 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
No votes
2-2
6%
3-3 or higher
No votes
RU by 1
No votes
Leeds by 1
56%
RU by 2
No votes
LU by 2
19%
RU by 3
No votes
LU by 3
19%

Total votes: 16

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

skysports-rotherham-leeds-efl_3838801.jpg
,,,,,,,,,,ggggggggggggg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd
hhDDDDDhhhSaturday 26th January 2019@3pm
jjjHHDDDDDHHHHjjjjjStreaming links to follow

Leeds make the short trip South(well, 33 miles to be exact) to the New York Stadium to face Championship strugglers Rotherham Utd on Saturday afternoon.

Izzy Brown completed another 45 minutes for the U23's and may well be on the bench, whilst Berardi completed 44 minutes and is not due back to first team action for another fortnight.

Bamford, Douglas and Dallas are also all due back to first team action next week.

Jansson will serve a one match suspension for being sent off last week against Stoke whilst Phillips returns from a three match ban and will fight it out with Halme to partner Cooper in central defence.

Leeds have lost 3 out of their last 4 games - surely this has to be a must win match!!!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Rotherham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

If Douglas is back I would go with :

.......................Peacock-Farrell..........................

Ayling.........Halme.........Cooper.........Douglas

.............................Phillips...................................

Hernandez.......Forshaw........Klich........Alioski

..............................Roofe....................................

Douglas & Alioski work well together defensively & going forward

Save Jack Clarke as our game-changer if we need him
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I can't see Douglas being ready for Saturday, so I'd play Alioski at left back and try to fit Clarke into the formation
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 pm I can't see Douglas being ready for Saturday, so I'd play Alioski at left back and try to fit Clarke into the formation
Would have to go with that if Douglas is unavailable although I do think we are weaker defensively
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Both points wise and psychologically this is a very important game. Lose to Rotherham and we possibly fall to 2nd with 5 other teams now too close for comfort.....not a good scenario with the way our results have been going recently.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

as a matter of interest, have we actually won ANY games with Phillips at CB?
or Ayling for that matter
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 pm Izzy Brown completed another 45 minutes for the U23's and may well be on the bench, whilst Berardi completed 44 minutes and is not due back to first team action for another fortnight.

Bamford, Douglas and Dallas are also all due back to first team action next week.
Time these players earned a living :chair:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dalton wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:16 am as a matter of interest, have we actually won ANY games with Phillips at CB?
or Ayling for that matter
Played 8. (Swansea, QPR, Forest, Blades, Hull, Blackburn, Villa, Reading)
Won 5
Lost 2
Drew 1
Conceded 13
Scored 14

I think :duno:

So yes but the problem is clear.

43% of our goals conceded in only 28% of our games, we'd be conceding 75 goals a season at that rate.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Thanks for that Cjay.....that confirms to me that MB will ignore Halme again then and risk it against a long ball team.
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Going to keep the faith here, can't possibly believe that even with our inconsistency as of late we're going to lose to relegation fodder. Surely?
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

We really have missed Phillips and Douglas. If they both play on Saturday then we win.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:06 pm Played 8. (Swansea, QPR, Forest, Blades, Hull, Blackburn, Villa, Reading)
Won 5
Lost 2
Drew 1
Conceded 13
Scored 14

I think :duno:

So yes but the problem is clear.

43% of our goals conceded in only 28% of our games, we'd be conceding 75 goals a season at that rate.
It does show the genius of Bielsa's madness though that we actually averaged 2 points per game during those games - which is higher than matches played when we, in theory, had a stronger defence. For all it weakens the defence it in theory makes us stronger attacking wise as we are able to play it out better from the back with having in effect an extra midfielder on the pitch (passing ability wise rather than positionally).
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm It does show the genius of Bielsa's madness though that we actually averaged 2 points per game during those games - which is higher than matches played when we, in theory, had a stronger defence. For all it weakens the defence it in theory makes us stronger attacking wise as we are able to play it out better from the back with having in effect an extra midfielder on the pitch (passing ability wise rather than positionally).
And yet on the face of it it makes us worse both offensively and defensively.

We concede at a far higher rate and score at a lesser rate. 1.75 scored to 1.95 season average.

I don't like it tbh, in all those games we have won by 1 goal, thats unsustainable imo as we saw in defeats.

Cant help but feel the passing from the back stuff is nonsense in games like Rotherham, they wont press high, Cbs will have an age regardless, we need defenders able to defend in games like this not midget cms at cb.
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Team news

Bielsa has confirmed Kiko will start vs Rotherham.

Phillips will replace Jansson.

Cant help but feel that puts extreme pressure on Casilla.

Michael Smith the 6ft3 burly Rotherham forward gave Berardi and Cooper real problems at Elland Road.

Phillips isnt going to cope better then Berardi against that type of forward.

Going to need a commanding performance from Kiko.
Signed

King Cjay

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

BobHirst wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:02 pm Both points wise and psychologically this is a very important game. Lose to Rotherham and we possibly fall to 2nd with 5 other teams now too close for comfort.....not a good scenario with the way our results have been going recently.
Totally agree Bob, a must win game! Why does bielsa insist on Phillip's at CB when we have a perfectly good defender sitting on the bench :duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm It does show the genius of Bielsa's madness though that we actually averaged 2 points per game during those games - which is higher than matches played when we, in theory, had a stronger defence. For all it weakens the defence it in theory makes us stronger attacking wise as we are able to play it out better from the back with having in effect an extra midfielder on the pitch (passing ability wise rather than positionally).
Indeed it does Weasel

We do miss Kalvin Phillips, one of the first on the team sheet for me
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Izzy Brown won't make bench, needs 6-8 games to reach the required level (sorry he was a stupid signing, total waste of time), Bielsa admitting basically that even if he can remain injury free he wont be at his best for 6-8games meaning we signed a player to play 10games at most full strength.

Bamford wont be on the bench, started training today will increase tempo next week, will play for the u23s in a week or so, perhaps a bench role vs Norwich but not so sure.

Dallas and Douglas are available but will play for the u23s next week (so sounds like they wont be playing Saturday either).

Reading between the lines nobody back bar Philips for Rotherham, Bamford and Brown probably wont make Norwich, Dallas and Douglas may (yipee).

Bielsa talks about Rotherhams style, long balls, play for set pieces, compete for second balls . . . .So wtf are you playing Phillips at cb for? I dont understand the logic.

Still dont think MB understands the league imo, passing out from the back means bugger all against teams like Rotherham, its defending them long balls and setpieces that matter.
Signed

King Cjay

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:36 pm Indeed it does Weasel

We do miss Kalvin Phillips, one of the first on the team sheet for me
I miss him in that midfield role most of all, when did he last have the chance to play in that position?
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote:Izzy Brown won't make bench, needs 6-8 games to reach the required level (sorry he was a stupid signing, total waste of time), Bielsa admitting basically that even if he can remain injury free he wont be at his best for 6-8games meaning we signed a player to play 10games at most full strength.

Bamford wont be on the bench, started training today will increase tempo next week, will play for the u23s in a week or so, perhaps a bench role vs Norwich but not so sure.

Dallas and Douglas are available but will play for the u23s next week (so sounds like they wont be playing Saturday either).

Reading between the lines nobody back bar Philips for Rotherham, Bamford and Brown probably wont make Norwich, Dallas and Douglas may (yipee).

Bielsa talks about Rotherhams style, long balls, play for set pieces, compete for second balls . . . .So wtf are you playing Phillips at cb for? I dont understand the logic.

Still dont think MB understands the league imo, passing out from the back means bugger all against teams like Rotherham, its defending them long balls and setpieces that matter.
Totally agree about playing Philips at cb. He is NOT a cb, Halme is and a bloody tall one at that which is something that will be quite useful on Saturday at both ends.
Re Brown; I'm looking at the last 6 games thinking there are clearly 18 pts up for grabs against clubs which Leeds should be beating with Villa being a possible exception if they play well. Even if Brown is only fully fit for those matches he could well be the one to make that significant difference to get over the line. We have him, he's a damn good player on his day so let's get the most out of him to get up...even if it is just for 6 games.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:06 pm Even if Brown is only fully fit for those matches he could well be the one to make that significant difference to get over the line. We have him, he's a damn good player on his day so let's get the most out of him to get up...even if it is just for 6 games.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
I reckon that's what it'll come down to in the end, for us, Norwich, West Brom and everyone else: fine margins. Brown or Bamford coming back just to nick those vital goals and vital points which will all be totted up at the end.

We've known for a long time now that there'll be no Wolves/Newcastle-style coasting for any team this season. No reason to expect any different now. Promotion will be decided by these little things - odd important goals scored and vital saves made.