The #LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Tue 22nd Jan)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Tue 22nd Jan)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Berardi limped off with what appeared to be a muscle strain on his comeback from a torn hamstring that has seen him sidelined since October.

The utility player lasted 44 minutes of the Under 23's game v Southampton.

Talking about the Southampton U23's game last night, just under 3000 fans turned up at Tadcaster's ground to watch the topsy turvy match.

Leeds won the encounter 3-2 with goals from Halme, Stevens and Edmonson, as Leeds came from 2-1 behind mid way through the second half.

20yo centre back Aapo Halme was absolutely outstanding in the centre of defence, and with Jansson suspended for the trip to Rotherham at the weekend, I would not have any hesitation to play the 6ft 4' giant.

Izzy Brown completed another 45 minutes on his comeback trial.

Phillips is available following his three match ban. Should he come straight back in to the team, ands if so, at who's expense?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Tue 22nd Jan)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB

Interesting re Phillips

After the Derby game, I'm pretty sure everyone would have said 'no way, Jose' or 'way no, Marcello'.

But after a much less convincing performance against Stoke, who knows? Realistically, unless we unusually change formation, if Phillips does come in, it will be for Forshaw.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am Hi EB

Interesting re Phillips

After the Derby game, I'm pretty sure everyone would have said 'no way, Jose' or 'way no, Marcello'.

But after a much less convincing performance against Stoke, who knows? Realistically, unless we unusually change formation, if Phillips does come in, it will be for Forshaw.
Klich to No 10 (not downing street) got multiple assists in that position over in Holland
Forshaw to replace Klich going box to box
Phillips in CDM to get out of defence quicky by spraying passes and breaking up attacks
Pablo back on the wing
ALioski LB
Clarke LW
Halme for Pontus

Sorted
gessa

Post by gessa »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 am Klich to No 10 (not downing street) got multiple assists in that position over in Holland
Phillips in CDM to get out of defence quicky by spraying passes and breaking up attacks
Pablo back on the wing
ALioski LB
Clarke LW
Halme for Pontus

Sorted
:tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Halme has to play surely?

Only other thing I can see happening, which I wouldn't want,is, Ayling in the middle and Shacks to RB.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:57 am Klich to No 10 (not downing street) got multiple assists in that position over in Holland
Pablo back on the wing
ALioski LB
Clarke LW
Halme for Pontus

Sorted
Sounds good, I forgot about the red card for Pontus
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Pablo back on the wing
ALioski LB
Clarke LW
Halme for Pontus

Sorted
Are you MB in disguise??? ;-)

Sounds good to me, Rab, everyone playing in a natural position :tup:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

And now, having been reminded that Pontus is suspended, I think Bielsa will simply slot Phillips into his spot.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Cardiff's new signing Emiliano Sala, feared dead after the plane he was travelling to Cardiff on crashed somewhere in the Channel Islands.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 am Are you MB in disguise??? ;-)

Sounds good to me, Rab, everyone playing in a natural position :tup:
I agree with Rab's team selections but knowing Marcelo as we do from his first six months in charge sadly he'll probably play Phillips as one of our main CB's & waste another 45 minutes with the inept Harrison on the flank subbing him out of more frustration just after half-time yet again. Bielsa needs to stop the rot, right now his stubbornness is not helping our team performances of late apart from the Derby game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 am Cardiff's new signing Emiliano Sala, feared dead after the plane he was travelling to Cardiff on crashed somewhere in the Channel Islands.
Bloody hell that is awful news mate.

Yet again it would seem an act of fate has taken someone's life, had he not signed for Cardiff he'd be still alive

Tragic for the young man, his family & friends
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:36 am I agree with Rab's team selections but knowing Marcelo as we do from his first six months in charge sadly he'll probably play Phillips as one of our main CB's & waste another 45 minutes with the inept Harrison on the flank subbing him out of more frustration just after half-time yet again. Bielsa needs to stop the rot, right now his stubbornness is not helping our team performances of late apart from the Derby game.
Maybe he'll surprise us, Leon, but it's true that that's unlikely. Far be it from me to question MB, but sometimes his selections are mystifying.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think they're consistent, we know he likes to groom centre mids to play centre back and that process needs game time to work. I think Klich was the obvious replacement for Saiz and Forshaw centre mid too but we have to allow MB to do it his way and trust it'll work itself out.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 am Maybe he'll surprise us, Leon, but it's true that that's unlikely. Far be it from me to question MB, but sometimes his selections are mystifying.
We were always going to lose games, no match is a given in what is a competitive league. However we lost three games in the first five months of our season up to 29th December then we've lost three of our last four league matches in three weeks so it is obvious something is not quite right.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:27 am I think they're consistent, we know he likes to groom centre mids to play centre back and that process needs game time to work. I think Klich was the obvious replacement for Saiz and Forshaw centre mid too but we have to allow MB to do it his way and trust it'll work itself out.
Phillips has to be installed back in the role he's performed supremely in this season plus our most creative player Pablo needs to be back on the right flank where he was causing mayhem in the majority of our games, since playing in the middle he hasn't been as effective in that role. Halme to play alongside Cooper as you can guarantee the Millers will be bombarding us with crosses

Back to basics, simple !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am We were always going to lose games, no match is a given in what is a competitive league. However we lost three games in the first five months of our season up to 29th December then we've lost three of our last four league matches in three weeks so it is obvious something is not quite right.
Never as straightforward as that though as we could easily have lost the Blackburn and Aston Villa games, equally on another day Harrison's shot v Millwall doesn't squirm in and we lose that. How many of the 7 in a row games did we really look great? 2 of the defeats we have ended the match with 10 men - on other days those players aren't sent off and things could be different.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Will out new goalie start?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Sorry.....Good Afternoon everyone
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

To be fair to the lads, there's not a single side in this league that hasn't scraped their fair share of results so far. That's just the way this season is shaping up. What I will say is that this is the first time for a long, long while that I haven't felt outright dread going into a fixture. I reckon we'll pick back up again soon enough and now it seems we've gotten our arses into gear in the transfer market, Brown and Bamford will be returning very soon, I think we'll get another winning run going soon enough to see us to the end of the season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:12 pm Never as straightforward as that though as we could easily have lost the Blackburn and Aston Villa games, equally on another day Harrison's shot v Millwall doesn't squirm in and we lose that. How many of the 7 in a row games did we really look great? 2 of the defeats we have ended the match with 10 men - on other days those players aren't sent off and things could be different.
I believe it is straightforward as the points I've raised:

Harrison is a weak-link & invariably subbed, it's almost like playing with ten men.
Phillips is our best defensive midfielder.
Pablo creativity is key which has mainly come from when he plays on the flanks.
We look better at the back when we play with two tall accomplished CB's especially as we give away silly free-kicks in dangerous areas & corners are always a problem if you are numerically out-numbered height wise. Keep clean sheets & we win games

We should play our best available XI preferably in their natural positions

We never looked like getting back into the games v Hull & Stoke, really poor in both