Kiko Casilla

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by The Subhuman »

I think Miazek could be better than both
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The GK position is one we don't need to look at for next season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

i wouldn't be sorry if i'll never see him in a leeds shirt again. a total liability.
gessa

Post by gessa »

leic white 63 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:06 pm i wouldn't be sorry if i'll never see him in a leeds shirt again. a total liability.
Me neither, seem to be in the minority here but I put him at fault for the first, nearly did it again with Phillips just after,the look of disbelief on Phillips face toward him shows what he thought of him, why did he go to ground so early for their second, the same thing as the first goal last night at Ipswich, the stupid sending off, it's been building.
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am I think Miazek could be better than both
Only seen him 3 times and know it's a big step up but from what I've seen I've been impressed.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

gessa wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:11 pm Me neither, seem to be in the minority here but I put him at fault for the first, nearly did it again with Phillips just after,the look of disbelief on Phillips face toward him shows what he thought of him, why did he go to ground so early for their second, the same thing as the first goal last night at Ipswich, the stupid sending off, it's been building.
agreed mate , the writing has been on the wall for a while. another orta signing on a decent wage ! get rid of the bow legged clown and play the kid.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Kiko is quality imo, he earned a reputation in Spain as one of the top goalies during his time at Espanyol.

Cooper panicked and tackled Kiko, how is that his fault? Same as Ayling getting in his way.

Kiko is a sweeper keeper, he is told to come out and clear (as he did very successfully against Derby when he calmly took the ball past there player and played it out).

The issue imo is this season the defenders have gone from BPF who came for nothing and was permanently rooted to his line meaning they had to take responsibility. To Kiko who will always come but because we have never had that sort of keeper, BPF,Green, Wiedwald, none of them were like that, because of that our defenders struggle to adapt.

Combined with the fact Cooper, Berardi etc are limited defenders they havent the composure to deal with the situation correctly ie shield the ball and wait, that leads to issues.

Kiko hasnt been perfect but put him behind a cb pairing who are used to that sort of keeper and know how to defend in that system properly then he will thrive.

We have asked defenders who are not used to that system to work with a keeper who has played at the highest level with players who were, it was bound to have teething problems.

Go back to what Guillem Balague said (an Espanyol fan) "Kiko would be a top 6 La Liga goalie had he not gone to Real Madrid".

He is a perfectly good goalie but he needs defenders who understand his role and imo many of our defenders dont and havent got the nerve to do it.

They either leave him wide open or get in his way.

Sweeper keeper requires defenders who understand that the role is different from a usual keeper and as such it requires a different sort of defending imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
gessa

Post by gessa »

Someone elsewhere who posted a week before we signed him, that we were signing a Spanish international goalkeeper but wouldn't name him as just posted his same contact in Spain as told him Casilla will not be here next season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

gessa wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 pm Someone elsewhere who posted a week before we signed him, that we were signing a Spanish international goalkeeper but wouldn't name him as just posted his same contact in Spain as told him Casilla will not be here next season.
Smdh if this means BPF is back as number 1 that is a massive downgrade.

Saving cash . . . . . .
Signed

King Cjay

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

makes far to many mistakes for me . zero communication with our defence. not to sure about his positioning at free kicks either, shows far to much of the goal for my liking , nearly got caught out a few times . how many clean sheets as he kept since we've signed him ?
a total liability needs shipping imo.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

gessa wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 pm Someone elsewhere who posted a week before we signed him, that we were signing a Spanish international goalkeeper but wouldn't name him as just posted his same contact in Spain as told him Casilla will not be here next season.
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some sort of clause in his contract with us that effectively would allow him to leave if we weren't promoted. His wages are very expensive to a championship club. Similar to deals in the past where we loaned Alfonso Pedraza and had a deal in place to buy him if we got promoted and also like the proposed Dan James deal which would have been converted from a loan deal to a full transfer if we were promoted. As such I wouldn't be surprised if he has a deal whereby he can leave on a free because we didn't get promoted - effectively the same as if he was here on a loan deal and then went back to Real Madrid and then left them on a free.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Watched the first goal several times

Cooper was the problem, had he not intervened Casilla would have cleared his lines

If Cooper felt he needed to get a touch he should have booted the ball & conceded a corner not pass it to Marriott

Cooper has bottled it v Sheff Utd, Norwich & Derby, three massive games we couldn't afford to lose, apart from that he has had a decent season
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am Watched the first goal several times

Cooper was the problem, had he not intervened Casilla would have cleared his lines

If Cooper felt he needed to get a touch he should have booted the ball & conceded a corner not pass it to Marriott

Cooper has bottled it v Sheff Utd, Norwich & Derby, three massive games we couldn't afford to lose, apart from that he has had a decent season
I have to agree with that, he's a good CB 3/4 but with the talent we have coming through he may not play much with any luck. He'd still be better than what most championship teams have at CB so we should be able to get a little compensation if we sold him, or part ex'd him
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am Watched the first goal several times

Okay somebody has hacked 64s account as this is the second time we agree today. I mentioned this before when people were blaming Casilla. Casilla was in the right position but he has to wait for the ball to get to him, which it was doing. Cooper just panics. As you can see when Cooper goes to kick it Casilla is actually in the process of attacking the ball and is all set to comfortably clear.

Other mentioned the other incident when Casilla and Phillips had a mix up but again for me Casilla was in the right. Berardi made a hash of his clearing header and then Phillips didn't really deal with the ball, Casilla tried to take command but when he did so in attempting to take the ball away from the danger it hit into KP - not really a keeper error in my eyes more just a case of him trying to keep it away from the Derby player but instead hitting it into KP as the space wasn't there.

If Casilla does stay then hopefully these things will get cleared up next season when hopefully communication is better and the players have more trust in Casilla that when he sweeps up he will get there.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 pm
Other mentioned the other incident when Casilla and Phillips had a mix up but again for me Casilla was in the right. Berardi made a hash of his clearing header and then Phillips didn't really deal with the ball, Casilla tried to take command but when he did so in attempting to take the ball away from the danger it hit into KP - not really a keeper error in my eyes more just a case of him trying to keep it away from the Derby player but instead hitting it into KP as the space wasn't there.

If Casilla does stay then hopefully these things will get cleared up next season when hopefully communication is better and the players have more trust in Casilla that when he sweeps up he will get there.
I actually did think Casilla was at fault for the Phillips one but actually if you see it from the camera behind the goal the entire situation was caused by Phillips being weak.

Phillips saw Casilla coming he did the right thing, got out of the way and tried to push the Derby player to the side but their player was stronger and knocked Phillips over into Casilla.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:29 am Cooper has bottled it v Sheff Utd, Norwich & Derby, three massive games we couldn't afford to lose, apart from that he has had a decent season
Some players just aren't big game players, others thrive on it. I remember a lad we had playing for my Sunday league side, we played on the Tuesday night at a bog standard pitch in what was the title decider. He was our striker but he had a mare, we ended up losing 2-1 thanks to a very dodgy penalty decision. But then on the Sunday we were in the cup final, played at a local non league ground with a stadium. You could see his eyes light up, he wanted to be the star man, this was his stage, a stadium and a bit of a crowd (well for Sunday League standards as families etc were all there watching). He banged the hat trick in we won 4-3 (the ref after sent him off for a second yellow for removing his shirt when he scored his third goal with a couple of minutes of extra time left) but he wanted to be the star man and some players are like that. Others though you could see them literally sh*tting themselves before the game and they were jittery all game.

For me being a top player is 10% ability and 90% mental. That is why a lot of talented youngsters don't make it. They look great playing in front of one man and a dog in the U18s, U23s etc but can't do it in front of a crowd, one mistake and they go to pieces.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Totally agree. As a keeper once youve made the decision to go you absolutely go for it taking everything out in you way. One little hesitation and confusion begins. He needs to sort out this side of his game with the defence but at his age he should know better.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Paper talk that he is on his way back to Spain.

if its true we have just saved a few shillings as his wage was unsustainable imo.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/kiko-casilla-leeds-united-transfer-16333615
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

why can we not post links on here anymore ?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Is Casilla really going back to Spain or did he just come too far off his line?

(Stolen from Twitter)