Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline :Aston Villa v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:50 am

0-0
6%
1-1
6%
2-2
19%
3-3 or higher
No votes
Villa by 1
13%
Leeds by 1
31%
Villa by 2
13%
Leeds by 2
6%
Villa by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
6%

Total votes: 16

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ.jpg
......................................................................Aston Villa v Leeds Utd
................................Sunday 23rd December 2018@1.30pm
............................................Streaming links to follow​

Hi Folks

Leeds make the 2 1/2 hour journey down the M1 for a Sunday lunchtime kick off against fellow promotion rivals Aston Villa.

Superstitious or not, knowing the team that is top of the Championship on Xmas Day has always won automatic promotion every year since 2008 must be playing on their minds.

Villa have scored 21 goals in the last 7 games, 13 of those at home - They have however conceded 13.

Unsurprisingly Villa boss Dean Smith is feeling positive about their chances of collecting at least a point against their Yorkshire rivals. He told Birmingham Live: "We're looking forward to Leeds United at home."

“I know we’ve got players who will score goals, that’s one guarantee.

“It doesn’t matter who we play against - Stoke, Leeds, West Brom, we will score.”

Villa are further boosted with the news that Bjarnason, Lansbury, Jedinak and Adomah should all be available for selection.

Leeds Captain Liam Cooper is back in training, though would not expect to see him at least until Boxing Day against Blackburn.

I'd expect Halme to partner Jansson at centre back with Shackleton and Douglas on their respective wings with Phillips sitting in front of the defence.

I see that as being our strongest defence - agree?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 am Ut_HKthATH4eww8X4xMDoxOjBzMTt2bJ.jpg

......................................................................Aston Villa v Leeds Utd
................................Sunday 23rd December 2018@1.30pm
............................................Streaming links to follow​

Hi Folks

Leeds make the 2 1/2 hour journey down the M1 for a Sunday lunchtime kick off against fellow promotion rivals Aston Villa.

Superstitious or not, knowing the team that is top of the Championship on Xmas Day has always won automatic promotion every year since 2008 must be playing on their minds.

Villa have scored 21 goals in the last 7 games, 13 of those at home - They have however conceded 13.

Unsurprisingly Villa boss Dean Smith is feeling positive about their chances of collecting at least a point against their Yorkshire rivals. He told Birmingham Live: "We're looking forward to Leeds United at home."

“I know we’ve got players who will score goals, that’s one guarantee.

“It doesn’t matter who we play against - Stoke, Leeds, West Brom, we will score.”

Villa are further boosted with the news that Bjarnason, Lansbury, Jedinak and Adomah should all be available for selection.

Leeds Captain Liam Cooper is back in training, though would not expect to see him at least until Boxing Day against Blackburn.

I'd expect Halme to partner Jansson at centre back with Shackleton and Douglas on their respective wings with Phillips sitting in front of the defence.

I see that as being our strongest defence - agree?
Good morning Matt

Right now without any doubt :tup:
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

The news of Cooper that broke yesterday is a massive boost. Agree that Sunday may come to soon but to have him before the new year is great news, as it will release KP back to he's favoured role.

I think MB will stick with the same starting line up that we had at Bolton, although young Clarke really cannot do any more to try and get in from the start of the game.

Living in Birmingham and having a brother who is a Villa ST Holder, this game is one I so badly want us to win, however I would take a draw for sure. A loss is not something I want to contemplate !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Got a bad feeling about this one, I would take a point and run now, can see this being a back to the wall affair - just hoping we don't get another WBA type result and the boys keep up the otherwise great defensive record......but I'm usually wrong - which means we may win by 4 :)
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

agreed...with the WBA game it all points to a back to the wall type game. May be MB has a few ideas up his sleeve to take the game to them as they concede nearly 2 goals a game recently. No reason we cant go and attack
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Leeds notoriously don't do very well over the festive period and is usually the signal for a downtown in form and results so I predict a heavy defeat at VP (due also to being so under-strength) but contrary to previous seasons I think they'll turn it around over the remaining festive fixtures with at least 2 wins and a draw.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

didnt was have 5 wins and a draw last year with TC and then the NY we fell apart with something like 4 points from 27!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
gessa

Post by gessa »

Hoping to see Halme in defence and Phillips moved back into midfield instead of Baker, Clarke to replace Alioski.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Dalton wrote:didnt was have 5 wins and a draw last year with TC and then the NY we fell apart with something like 4 points from 27!
Just saying 'generally' Leeds don't do well. Yes, occasionally they will have a decent run over Xmas and the New Year but it's rare that they have a great run over this time. Similar consistency as the first half of the season during the 2nd half should see them over the line.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

It goes without saying we will lose at some point and this Sunday may well be that time.
We were all doom and gloom after the WBA game and look what has happened since. Whatever the result there is no reason why we can't win the two home games against Blackburn and Hull and stay in the top two. I actually think it will be close, maybe one goal in it. If Villa were as good as everyone is making out they wouldn't be in 8th place. Hopefully MB puts an attacking formation out and we go at them. Their defensive record isn't great.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

nothing to fear at villa park. . drawn half of there home games and there best results have come away from home.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

gessa wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 am Hoping to see Halme in defence and Phillips moved back into midfield instead of Baker, Clarke to replace Alioski.
Anyone but Baker please !!!!
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

I’d like to see Roofe play the no.10 role, behind Bamford, gives him space to run at the CBs and the two of them can switch, prefer that to Pablo there, unless he starts Clarke.
Harrison and Ali on the wings wouldn’t be great with neither in great form, not gone on Baker either, seems low on confidence, who knows another game in that role, may see him improve.
It really is set up to be a cracker
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 am It goes without saying we will lose at some point and this Sunday may well be that time.
We were all doom and gloom after the WBA game and look what has happened since. Whatever the result there is no reason why we can't win the two home games against Blackburn and Hull and stay in the top two. I actually think it will be close, maybe one goal in it. If Villa were as good as everyone is making out they wouldn't be in 8th place. Hopefully MB puts an attacking formation out and we go at them. Their defensive record isn't great.
True to a point. But Villa's season and points tally is distorted due to the inadequacies of Steve Bruce. With Bruce, they were very defensive in their set up and struggle to score goals but post Bruce, i.e. since Dean Smith they have scored goals for fun and are unbeaten in 7 games, although they have drawn a fair few of those.

My point is, i would have been much more confident had this been Bruce's villa side. BUT that said, if we can repeat a performance like the one at Bramhall Lane , there is no reason why we cant get a positive result !
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Under Bruce Villa were misfiring. With the appointment of Dean Smith
from Brentford he has been able to tune the Villa engine so it is firing
on all cylinders. It is amazing what a good manager can do for a team,
and saying that we have one of the best.

It will be a tight game away from home and it will be a big bonus if we
get a draw for Villa are flying at the moment with 4 wins and 3 draws in their
last 7 games. We have only had 1 loss in the last 7 games and that was against WBA.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Villa have just signed Croatian keeper Louvre Kalinic for €6m from Gent who will join in January. Absolute joke really ! They are well outside the FFP restrictions yet continue to splash out !! Why should clubs like Leeds adhere to this ruling when others just flout it year after year !!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

If Villa are flouting FFP then good for them, till the EFL make it a proper deterrent we all should flout it.

Im not so sure Villa are safe from FFP myself, the owners cant write off the FFP money, doesnt work like that, sponsorship or sales, Purlow may be looking for sponsorship which it seems was his job at Chelsea and similar at Liverpool (reduce £100mil debt quickly), but until thats in place sorted then i still think Villa are in trouble.

Just an outside opinion, i dont think Villa and FFP has just gone away yet.

Mr Purslow confirmed that the club wants to be FFP compliant and have a clear set of plans to be so going forward. . . thats from the notes of a fan consultation thing, the devil is in the detail imo.

He also talked about incoming AND outgoings in January.

Villa fans are enjoying there new found wealth, who wouldnt, but i imagine they are worried to, deep down there is always that nagging doubt of "what if we dont go up".
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Considering how freely we play at the back we have been super strong defensively. Some of the other teams have been leaking goals by trying to play out, but our boys seem to be getting away with it so far.

I hate putting Leeds in my goal rush bet as I don't like seeing them concede but I think this game is going to be a case of trying to score one more than each other.

2-2
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Hutton looks vulnerable fro Villa, and their defence does not look too great
Stoke had lots of lots of chances on goal... if we get as many, we might just nick it.