The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 17th Dec)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 17th Dec)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds left the University of Bolton Stadium with 3 very valuable points in the bag, returning to the Summit of the Championship in the process.

A peach of a goal from Bamford with 23 minutes left on the clock was the difference between the two sides.

Give Bolton their dues, they gave it absolutely everything, but it seems Leeds have learnt how to win ugly.

Did Roofe look tired to you?

Does Bamford deserve to start against Villa?

Did Bolton deserve a penalty?

Saiz will undergo his medical this morning with Getafe.

I'm sorry but there is more to this one than meets the eye!

Apparently Getafe are potless, yet they sit 5th in the La Liga table just behind the likes of Barcelona, Athletico and Real Madrid.

If depression, surely the pressure of playing for a top 6, top flight club would not be good for him?

Why are Leeds paying his salary during his 6 month loan?

This is what really angers me about the Saiz deal. You'll see two tweets below from the verified account of David Cartlidge, the editor of ESPN.

You'll notice the tweets were sent on the 13th December. Please note, if these were sent on the 13th, then they probably occurred a day or two previously!

It indicates not only had the deal more or less been tied up by this point, but the Leeds fans were still being drip fed spin about how Saiz can not keep his weight down or how Saiz' is finding it difficult to keep his fat FMI down to lower than 10%

David Cartlidge‏ Dec 13
Ángel Torres, president of Getafe, saying that a player will take a medical at the club next week and could also be present at their game on Saturday. Didn’t name him, but that player is expected to be Samu Sáiz from Leeds.

David Cartlidge‏ Dec 13
Torres said some players at Getafe already know who it is, but he couldn’t name the player tonight as “it would anger the English team”. Sáiz would arrive as a loan, with option to buy.

According to various sources, Leeds are lining up a bid for Sheffield Wednesday's Adam Reach.

You'll recall the the winger / forward scored an absolute screamer against us earlier in the season!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Mon 17th Dec)

Post by Ellandback1 »

There is definitely something strange going on with Saiz's medical.

saiz-medical-and-general-store-golconda-hyderabad-chemists-3x44i34.jpg
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Ellandback1 wrote:
Good Morning Everyone

Leeds left the University of Bolton Stadium with 3 very valuable points in the bag, returning to the Summit of the Championship in the process.

A peach of a goal from Bamford with 23 minutes left on the clock was the difference between the two sides.

Give Bolton their dues, they gave it absolutely everything, but it seems Leeds have learnt how to win ugly.
About time but welcomed
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Adam Reach, was he the one that fluked his goal against us?....TBH, that's all I remember him doing if it is
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB

Excellent result to put us on top the table.

Not concerned at all about Roofe, and he should start against Villa ahead of Bamford.

Saiz move doesn't concern me. He had good reasons for returning home. We are paying him because he is contracted to us.

No way was that a penalty to Bolton. Phillips was going for the ball, the Bolton player came from his blind side and stepped in front of him, no way Phillips saw him or could anticipate that he'd be there.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Tell it like it is Harry - didn't realise you've been a member almost as long as I have.
I wonder when OZWHITE last posted and if he occasionally checks the site anonymously.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I never thought we'd be lower than the EPL for so long.
Hopefully this year?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Norm wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 am Tell it like it is Harry - didn't realise you've been a member almost as long as I have.
I wonder when OZWHITE last posted and if he occasionally checks the site anonymously.
Hi Norm

I joined but didn't post here much at first. I can't remember the name of the site that I used to spend most of my time on - it wasn't only Leeds but a big site for all of the clubs, though each club had their own forum. Used to enjoy bantering with other fans - especially a few Chelsea lads. Then there was Waccoe of course before I began posting on here all the time.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Norm wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:06 am I never thought we'd be lower than the EPL for so long.
Hopefully this year?
It's been agonising. This is one tough league to get out of, though we have been out the wrong end of course :evil: .

I am very confident that this year is our year.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning EB1 and Everyone,

Winning 'ugly' as people like to call it is an important part of any team with aspirations of promotion and we seem to be doing it now.
Thankfully this particular below par performance came against a side with out a win in it's previous 11 games.
I doubt such a performance will get us the 3 points against Villa.
All wins are good no matter how they come and this one guaranteed a top 2 position at Christmas. Happy days.

Did Roofe look tired? I didn't see the game so I'll leave it to those that did make an assessment.
Should Bamford start against Villa? Not at Roofe's expense but maybe both could start (dump Alioski).
Did Bolton deserve a penalty? Yes, I'm afraid they did. Matt Murray and Liam Rosenior both said it was stonewall and I tend to agree.
Regardless of whether Phillips saw him coming or not, he clipped the back of the Bolton player's legs. The ref may have been partially unsighted and as a result felt he couldn't give it. We would have all been screaming for one if the same thing had happened at the other end.

It looks as though Samuel Saiz has kicked his last ball for Leeds and the way it has come to an end is a real shame.
Only he knows the real reason for wanting to return to Spain but I hope it all goes well for him.
Great on his day but this season he has been well below his best. I don't think he has been the same since the spitting incident at Newport.

Adam Reach would be an excellent signing if we could get him. In the games I have seen him play this season he has been their best player.
And we all know he has got an eye for goal.....especially those 30 yard 'flukes'

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I hope you're right Harry - this absence from the top flight has been way too long.
Bielsa rules :victor:
gessa

Post by gessa »

The first 10 minutes Saturday we were a different class to Bolton, then for whatever reason it all went a bit haywire to say the least, the slick passing, the movement, turned into too many stray passes and no one finding any room, Bolton did give it their all but I think our inabilities on the day gave them the lift they needed. I'm over the moon we can win ugly now, 3 of the latest 5 wins haven't been pretty but I honestly don't care, the fact we have ground out the win is brilliant, even when manure we're dominating the Premiership, they had that side to their game, people always associated them with good passing and dominating teams but it wasn't always the case, there was many games they had to dig deep and rely on long balls from Beckham.

It was just one of those days for Roofe, he didn't get much service and the few times he got the ball he couldn't hold on to it, there's no way he'd have put the Bamford goal away, as it wasn't his day, great substitute by Biesla. But Roofe has to start against Villa, my concern Sunday is Phillips playing along side Pontus, he doesn't look comfortable and it weakens the midfield imo.

Reach will just be one of many rumours between now and Jan 31st. I'm going to ignore them all and just wait and see who, if anyone signs.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Definitely not a penalty.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

the brief highlights i saw didnt even show the pen appeal which was interesting
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I give Bolton no credit - they offered nothing and were basically playing for a draw. As the home side that is deplorable. If we'd have scored when we were all over them in the first 10 minutes then we probably win comfortably.

Did Roofe look tired to you?

Not particularly. He just looked like he was being starved of service and with the amount of poor passes we played he hardly saw the ball. Looked like he was still putting the same effort in as usual.

Does Bamford deserve to start against Villa?

Much like the Alioski/Clarke debate for now I see Bamford more of an impact sub but given a few more matches so he/they are up to full first team match fitness and it could be a different story. Let the best men win the shirt.

Did Bolton deserve a penalty?

It is one of those that 50% of people will say yes and 50% will say no and it isn't just down to what team you support. It was certainly clumsy by Phillips and I have seen them given.

Saiz

Most Spanish clubs with the exception of the big few don't have much money. I see this as Leeds loaning him to Getafe to showcase his talent so a bigger/richer club buys him in the summer (assuming Getafe can't afford the fee although if they finish as high as they are now they may be able to - a bit like how we had a fee lined up for Alfonso Pedrazza but because we didn't get promoted didn't really then have the funds). The depression seems more linked to his partner and the fact they are having a child and would prefer to be back in Spain - I don't get the impression that any sense of depression with Saiz is football related (though the amount of times he gets kicked must frustrate the hell out of him). I only lived in Spain for 2 1/2 years but would rather be back there...
I don't doubt that the move has been lined up for a while, and don't see anything wrong in that. Likely the club has been trying to get the best deal they could and presumably this is it despite some fans suggesting we have jumped at the first offer and our owner is an idiot....

According to various sources, Leeds are lining up a bid for Sheffield Wednesday's Adam Reach.

Like others I will wait and see who actually signs before passing judgement.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:18 am Did Roofe look tired to you?
Had a poor game, conditions didn't help his cause
Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:18 am Does Bamford deserve to start against Villa?
I think Roofe will start
Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:18 am Did Bolton deserve a penalty?
No
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Bamford played in the u23s today I think so I assume Roofe will start this weekend! Hopefully the competition spurs Roofe on though because another few poor performances and you have to think that bamford will come in
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Reporters like to stir things up, and ask Bielsa awkward questions like what does he think
of Saiz moving to Spain? Bielsa refuses to be drawn into any speculation about Samu's form
past or present, he refuses to talk about mental health or depression, his lips are sealed
regarding Samu's wife's pregnancy, he will neither deny or confirm that Samu is in Spain.

What he does say is that his job is to concentrate on the football and prepare for every
game the best way he can, with the players that he has available. What has happened with
Samu is between the player and the owners of the club, and he does not want to get involved
in the why's or wherefores of the decision. He will not be sidetracked. His vision is steadfast.

He does not condemn the player nor management. It is what it is. This is not what the
reporters want to hear. They want gossip and conspiracies, some juicy titbits. Anything
to fuel the fire and sell copy. Anything to set Twitter aflutter, or cause social media to
go into meltdown.

Sorry but you won't get it from Bielsa. I think he just might be that last honourable man in football.