The Cupboard Is Bare

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

The Cupboard Is Bare

Post by Cjay »

That was the gist of what Phil Hay said the other day, regardless of whether Bielsa wanted signings or not he was under the impression that the club had little or no funds.

Radz even said they had to "sacrifice" Vieira and the club has to sell "one or two players a year to break even".

He also justified this by saying "The investment we've made in the past year does not allow us to do anything else to find more resources".

Bielsa wasnt happy about the club selling Vieira, Radz admitted this.

Jansson also said the club tried to flog him to a Russian side behind his back and Vieira said the Sampdoria move came out of the blue with Jorge Mendes helping us convince them to buy.

What i dont get is how we can have no money.

Other clubs have money, other clubs with smaller revenue streams have money.

Other clubs that didnt get a £10million pound investor have money to spend.

Other clubs with a larger net spend then we have under Radz have funds.

I actually think Radz has the totally wrong idea about Championship clubs.

They dont "break even", the only clubs that do sell players to do it, and those clubs are largely the ones that dont get promoted.

I think Radz has found that its much more expensive to run a Championship club then he imagined.

And a bit like what has happened with Eleven Sports, the cream of the crop in that area lose money for a while to gain money down the line.

Thats basically what experts have said, the competitors in that market understand that loses may happen at first, and they have the money to cover that.

Radz doesnt, or Radz wont fund us properly.

He has done good things of course, Bielsa, academy, we own the ground (although an unnecessary expense).

But he will only invest the minimum to keep us going, perhaps a bit like the Eleven Sports UK arm.

After all how much advertisement was there? I didnt see any.

Read about that and the gist is the owners wernt willing to invest the money required to break into that area.

They had underestimated the funding needed.

I think thats whats happened with us.

Think Radz thought he could run us like a normal business, profit and loss, minimum investment for maximum return.

I'm no expert in football business but i think that sort of business plan is flawed and very difficult in this league.

I think Radz has underestimated the funding needed, i think he has got the football club business a bit wrong.

I think thats why he brought in the 49ers, share the losses because he wouldn't or couldn't do anymore.

I dont think Radz is a bad owner or a crook, i do think he is a very naive one and is now finding out that he has got the football ownership business very wrong.

You cant run a 2nd tier football club like a normal business, profit and loss, it isnt that black and white imo.

People dont buy a Championship club expecting to make a profit straight away, if that was the case nobody would care about promotion.

They almost all lose money, some more then others, but thats expected and thats why owners spend large money in transfer windows.

They know that while the club may be in the red they are building a side that hopefully will get them up and then they can hope to turn a profit.

Its a balancing act between managing losses and building a promotion capable squad.

If you go into Championship football club ownership expecting a profit straight away then you have a problem.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Dumfriesleeds
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: The Cupboard Is Bare

Post by Dumfriesleeds »

Absolutely spot on ! You have to speculate to accumulate but we all know football is a complex business especially at our level.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

"The cupboard is bare"

They are having a laugh at our loyal fans expense Cjay, I did say previously forget any in's during the January window, it's the outs we have to be concerned about :(

Just like politicians blowing hot air & creaming it off to ensure their luxurious lifestyle
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 pm "The cupboard is bare"

They are having a laugh at our loyal fans expense Cjay, I did say previously forget any in's during the January window, it's the outs we have to be concerned about :(

Just like politicians blowing hot air & creaming it off to ensure their luxurious lifestyle
How do you know that?
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

We've been linked with Ibai Gomez again today, so we'll see what happens there.

Where does our money go? Our turnover must be pretty high given how expensive our tickets are, plus non football events and loss of rent payments. It's not like we spend it on players, as we sell to buy and our wages aren't massive. What's going on?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think this is the best squad of players we've taken into the second half of a season for a long time...Maybe a short term loan for a veteran keeper but with Halme coming through and others behind plus the injured recovering I think we can launch a legitimate assault...and signing a 10-15M so called impact player guarantees nothing.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 pm "The cupboard is bare"

Just dont understand how we have no money.

The 49ers £10mil whered that go?

We have a net spend under Radz of less then £10mil.

In fact we have a net spend of less then £10mil for the entire period of this FFP deadline.

I dont think the cupboard is bare.

I think Radz is focused on the bottom line, profit and loss and trying to keep in the black.

Thats fine for a normal business, this isnt a normal business.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:25 pm We've been linked with Ibai Gomez again today, so we'll see what happens there.

Where does our money go? Our turnover must be pretty high given how expensive our tickets are, plus non football events and loss of rent payments. It's not like we spend it on players, as we sell to buy and our wages aren't massive. What's going on?
Thats the question i want to know the answer to.

How do other clubs less profitable in terms of tv and merchandise and ticket sales and things still find funds yet we are always hand to mouth.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:56 pm I think this is the best squad of players we've taken into the second half of a season for a long time...Maybe a short term loan for a veteran keeper but with Halme coming through and others behind plus the injured recovering I think we can launch a legitimate assault...and signing a 10-15M so called impact player guarantees nothing.
You yourself have said Saiz should start as we look worse offensively without him.

So surely we should be aiming to replace him? And not just with Izzy who isnt even ours.
Signed

King Cjay

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:03 pm Just dont understand how we have no money.

The 49ers £10mil whered that go?

We have a net spend under Radz of less then £10mil.

In fact we have a net spend of less then £10mil for the entire period of this FFP deadline.

I dont think the cupboard is bare.

I think Radz is focused on the bottom line, profit and loss and trying to keep in the black.

Thats fine for a normal business, this isnt a normal business.
Wasted on sackho, de Bock, wiedwald, Cibicki, grot, ekuban etc. Etc.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm You yourself have said Saiz should start as we look worse offensively without him.

So surely we should be aiming to replace him? And not just with Izzy who isnt even ours.
We do but that was before I knew he was unhappy here and wants to go back to Spain to raise his kid...I respect that decision, family comes first and we have to suck it up. As for replacing him, it's not something I'd throw millions at..the trick will be not starting Forshaw there
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:02 pm We do but that was before I knew he was unhappy here and wants to go back to Spain to raise his kid...I respect that decision, family comes first and we have to suck it up. As for replacing him, it's not something I'd throw millions at..the trick will be not starting Forshaw there
I respect Samu's right to put his family first, no issue with that and if in the short term it sees Jack Clarke come in to replace Pablo who seems the natural short term answer I'm all for that.

I dont like that we will be a player down for the xmas period and Izzy isnt even fit enough for the bench yet.

He has been talked about id like us to go for Forestieri myself seems a natural replacement and with Wednesday feeling the pinch.

Or maybe our scouts have found someone else already in Portugal or France where we have been doing some scouting.

Just hope we dont leave ourselves shorthanded as we seem to every January.

He is a frustrating player Saiz, but he has skills we need and imo we do need to find someone able to do that to give us that spark.
Signed

King Cjay

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

no issue about selling saiz and getting a few quid but to loan him out is crazy and poor business imo. what happens if he gets a bad injury ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 pm How do you know that?
So where does all the massive incoming monies go then Dezzy ?

Not on :

Player transfer fees
High salaries or a huge squad
Ground refurbishment
Rent

I do believe we are paying a good wad to Bielsa which I haven't got a problem with as Marcelo is the major reason why we are doing so well
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:50 pm no issue about selling saiz and getting a few quid but to loan him out is crazy and poor business imo. what happens if he gets a bad injury ?
He returns to ER :lol:
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:03 pm So where does all the massive incoming monies go then Dezzy ?

Not on :

Player transfer fees
High salaries or a huge squad
Ground refurbishment
Rent

I do believe we are paying a good wad to Bielsa which I haven't got a problem with as Marcelo is the major reason why we are doing so well
I’m not an expert in the running costs of a football club, but I just can’t understand the abuse Radz is getting, I don’t belive him to be beyond criticism, but he is so much better than we have had, or what other clubs have, nobody wanted anything to do with this club, he saw potential, 100% the reason he is here is to make money, the difference is he wants to make it by improving the club, which he has, then sell us.
But has he spent any money on the ground? I’m sure buying it cost money, the investment in our youth system was massive, to me it looks like we are being run like a club like many smaller clubs who have gone way beyond us, Burnley, Bournemouth etc, the ones we were envious of, the ones we used as a template to follow?
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

BTW we are second in the championship, playing the best football we have in years, I’m not sure why I, or others have to defend the man!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:16 pm I’m not an expert in the running costs of a football club, but I just can’t understand the abuse Radz is getting, I don’t belive him to be beyond criticism, but he is so much better than we have had, or what other clubs have, nobody wanted anything to do with this club, he saw potential, 100% the reason he is here is to make money, the difference is he wants to make it by improving the club, which he has, then sell us.
But has he spent any money on the ground? I’m sure buying it cost money, the investment in our youth system was massive, to me it looks like we are being run like a club like many smaller clubs who have gone way beyond us, Burnley, Bournemouth etc, the ones we were envious of, the ones we used as a template to follow?
Buying the ground was essential for when he sells LUFC
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:18 pm BTW we are second in the championship, playing the best football we have in years, I’m not sure why I, or others have to defend the man!!
Agree we are & I'm really enjoying the football we're playing but that is all down to Marcelo

Yes Radz employed him, 3rd time lucky though

I've already said he is the best owner we've had at ER in many years however he is far from perfect. Like the majority of foreign football owners Radz is probably here to make a quick buck

I don't trust rich powerful businessmen, politicians, entrepreneurs, etc
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm Agree we are & I'm really enjoying the football we're playing but that is all down to Marcelo

Yes Radz employed him, 3rd time lucky though

I've already said he is the best owner we've had at ER in many years however he is far from perfect. Like the majority of foreign football owners Radz is probably here to make a quick buck

I don't trust rich powerful businessmen, politicians, entrepreneurs, etc
And I couldn’t argue with that opinion one bit! He is the best we’ve had in s long time, but perfect, makes mistakes, is here to make money for himself, but I do think he is genuine in what he is doing, just on a budget, but it’s taken us this far, just need to see him push the boat out a little in January, which he may or may not do, we have to wait and see!