Album of 2018 Grand Final - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Album of 2018 Grand Final - VOTE NOW

Post by lufc1304 »

gessa wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:14 am Played a minute sample of each song from Sea Change earlier, listening to whole album :tup: not what I was expecting, even though I understand he's pretty diverse.
He keeps you guessing, Ges, not afraid to go off in unexpected directions. Glad you're enjoying Sea Change, it's a mighty fine album
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
hector

Post by hector »

I have a suggestion '64...

As most of the players on here have expressed the same thoughts ie there are too many to listen to in a month, and they lose intrest after a few....

Why don't we have an album of the year thread running all year, in which players can post up an album from that year as it comes out and they have heard it, this then gives the rest of us longer to get to hear it, and make an informed decision after having time to hear them... Then in January with the thread full we can nominate as usual from the list we have already provided...

hope that makes sense?/ :)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 am He keeps you guessing, Ges, not afraid to go off in unexpected directions. Glad you're enjoying Sea Change, it's a mighty fine album
Odelay obviously and I love Modern Guilt too. Most of his stuff is at worst interesting though.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sounds like a plan Hector ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 am Odelay obviously and I love Modern Guilt too. Most of his stuff is at worst interesting though.
I didn't pay much heed to him after Odelay, to be honest, but then someone bought me Morning Phase and I started backtracking from there. Some albums are more standout than others but, as you say, everything he does has something of interest on it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Same here, bought and loved Odelay virtually form day of release then forgot about him for a few years..Guero being the next purchase..Went back for Midnite Vultures and then bought Modern Guilt and the one after, can't recall the name without google and not really had that one on much..By then of course most stuff I just add to Spotify and hook the tablet up through the hi fi
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BTW ...CD sales were down 25% last year that's a massive drop over 12 months and a continuation of that over the next 5 years could see CD's become extinct anyway and a small recovery for vinyl one would assume as the hard copy of choice..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unsure which Beck album is my favourite now :duno:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lets have some Volcano from MG

1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:26 pm BTW ...CD sales were down 25% last year that's a massive drop over 12 months and a continuation of that over the next 5 years could see CD's become extinct anyway and a small recovery for vinyl one would assume as the hard copy of choice..
Well at least I keep the CD market going :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:49 am I have a suggestion '64...

As most of the players on here have expressed the same thoughts ie there are too many to listen to in a month, and they lose intrest after a few....

Why don't we have an album of the year thread running all year, in which players can post up an album from that year as it comes out and they have heard it, this then gives the rest of us longer to get to hear it, and make an informed decision after having time to hear them... Then in January with the thread full we can nominate as usual from the list we have already provided...

hope that makes sense?/ :)
Makes sound sense Hector :tup:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Morning Phase is the one after Modern Guilt. Give it another try, mate, beautiful album and, as I said to Ges, a companion piece to Sea Change. One for headphones and no distractions
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

My sister just uses her i pad to cast and stream music to her houses in built hi fi (most rooms) ...Shame her taste is poor and after all that hard work I did as a teenager to "upgrade" her collection...
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Serious question to our music loving chaps. How do you find all these different artists. I honestly have never heard of over 90% of the albums nominated....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:36 pm Serious question to our music loving chaps. How do you find all these different artists. I honestly have never heard of over 90% of the albums nominated....
I have a annual subscription of the Mojo magazine

Also :

• Read reviews on the net
  • Listen to albums on Spotify/YouTube
  • Recommendations from friends
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Read ..Radio 6 music is easily the best radio station out there. Take risks.

My top 5 Albums of the year are

1 - Masta Ace & Marco Polo - A Bruekelen Story - This amazingly from a link supplied by 64 to another teams music forum. I love soulful rap anyway and 25 seconds listening told me this was special..Need to hear the whole album to keep it in context imo

2 - Ryley Walker - Deafman Glance - From Radio 6 music one afternoon this wonderful slice of chill post rock tinged triumph of songwriting came on and I was hooked. That track was Telluride Speed, from there a google search did the rest

3 - Still Corners - Slow Air - Via the Guardian Arts section first then heard Black Lagoon on 6 music and already primed I followed the lead. Wonder electro-pop with an Air like feel without being too Air. How good is this?

4 - Earl Sweatshirt - I've know about Earl for a while have previous albums and this is another good slice of chilled hip hop with clever lyrics

5 - Khruangbin - Con Toldo El Mundo - Guardian again and upon investigation found an album chock full of wonderful rhythms and a band from Texas using world music influences to create some wonderful soundscapes..A nice late night down low album to chill to
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm 1 - Masta Ace & Marco Polo - A Bruekelen Story -This amazingly from a link supplied by 64 to another teams music forum I love soulful rap anyway and 25 seconds listening told me this was special..Need to hear the whole album to keep it in context imo
Has my memory gone

Remind me ?
1964white

Re: Album of 2018

Post by 1964white »

Grand Final

Vote for your favourite album

2 Masta Ace and Marco Pole 'A Breukelen Story' 1304
1 Courtney Barnett 'Tell Me How You Really Feel' Ges
0 Ryley Walker 'Deafman Glance' Faaip
0 Kamasi Washington 'Heaven & Earth' 64
0 Thom Yorke ' Suspiria' 64
0 Gary Numan 'Savage (Live)' Durly

Voted - Faaip, Ges,1304

Abstained - BB, Gandi, Hector, John, Mrs 64, Swannie
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:13 pm Has my memory gone

Remind me ?
From the thread about other fans opinions ..you linked an album of the year thread
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:36 pm Serious question to our music loving chaps. How do you find all these different artists. I honestly have never heard of over 90% of the albums nominated....
Got in to a rut with music for quite a while, always played a lot of music but couldn't find much new stuff that I liked, then as I was starting to widen my horizons, it coincided with reading the music discussion thread on waccoe, got into a lot of new bands to me, from recommendations on there, then came over to here and it continued. There is a lot of stuff I listen to now that have come from posters off there and here, I also use a website that you can listen to 1 minute clips off thousands of albums, they list new releases 2-3 times a week on average, so if I like the look of something I go from there.