January Transfer Rumours And Squad Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: January Transfer Rumours And Squad Discussion

Post by weasel »

Hard to say though because Bielsa walked out from clubs before cos they signed players he didn't want and similarly has walked out as they didn't sign the players he wanted - if he is happy with the squad then I think you have to take that at face value.

Realistically the clubs he has been at weren't really teams that were going to challenge for titles - maybe they overachieved, maybe they made signings midway through that rocked the boat. I do feel that we have to go with him on this, so far he has shown that he can still get the team averaging 2 points per game despite the injuries so maybe the squad is good enough. Berardi arguably our best player in the first few matches - could we get a 3rd choice centreback who could play as well as he did (despite all the astonishment at the time)? Can we get a better winger than the emerging Clarke? Can we get better strikers than Roofe, Bamford or even Tyler Roberts?

My feeling is that if it goes horribly wrong then Bielsa will evaluate in the summer, sell some players, sign some and blitz the league next season winning it at a canter.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

TBH I'm not seeing a lot wrong with the current squad to which we can add probably the finest collection of youth anywhere in England outside of the prem top 6.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Doesnt really matter anyway, from what Phil Hay says regardless of what Bielsa may or may not want the cupboard is empty.

We dont have money to spend, dont understand how other clubs with bigger net spends, bigger outgoings, bigger expenses, how they can spend but pur cupboard is always bare.

But there you go.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

To be honest, we probably have a lot of promotion related clauses that we would have to pay if we went up. I think Forshaw, Bamford and Roberts definitely do, that's about £6m. Plus I'm guessing all the players and staff would get bonuses too, so we're probably looking at a £15m outlay if we go up. So from that pov I can understand the club being cautious with spending.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 pmCan we get better strikers than Roofe, Bamford or even Tyler Roberts?
I think Kun will be better than all 3. He was highly rated at Barca, he only left as he saw a faster route to the first team through us.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Is it a coincidence that we signed Brown on loan knowing he wouldn't play till January.

The club reject Valencia, Saiz wants to go.

Say to Samu give us till January.

Sign Brown on loan.

Saiz goes in January after the club drip feed information as Ell pointed out, Brown is bigged up.

"We already have a replacement for Saiz, nothing we could do etc etc".

Hey presto Saiz money doesnt get spent or we do a loan to buy and plead poverty.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It seems more likely that Saiz will go there on loan - presumably from our point of view if he does well it then means we will have more teams interested in him in the summer and can drive the price up.
Likely also that the Brown deal will cost us a fair bit as we will have to start paying his wages and I would expect them to be quite high given he signed a new deal with Chelsea after doing well out on loan and had premiership clubs interested in signing him. Even at a conservative £40k per week it would cost us around £1m in wages from now until the end of the season.
As such I doubt we will be signing a permanent replacement in the window.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

I am not surprised about Saiz, we could all sense he wasnt playing like he did previously and has been at this lower standard for 12 months now, basically since that Newport disgrace.

This loan thing narks me though. If he wants to so badly, and they want him so much, make them bloody pay top whack for him !! Sick of LUFC always making it easy for clubs to steal our players !!
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

SG90 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:29 pm To be honest, we probably have a lot of promotion related clauses that we would have to pay if we went up. I think Forshaw, Bamford and Roberts definitely do, that's about £6m. Plus I'm guessing all the players and staff would get bonuses too, so we're probably looking at a £15m outlay if we go up. So from that pov I can understand the club being cautious with spending.
Fair point mate but that amount is absolute peanuts compared to what you get for simply being in the Prem. West Brom, finished bottom last year and received £100m !!! So the clause outlay on players will be of no real consequence if we do get promoted.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Gurj wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 am I am not surprised about Saiz, we could all sense he wasnt playing like he did previously and has been at this lower standard for 12 months now, basically since that Newport disgrace.

This loan thing narks me though. If he wants to so badly, and they want him so much, make them bloody pay top whack for him !! Sick of LUFC always making it easy for clubs to steal our players !!
Here here.
a loan dont make no sense to me.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

So Karl Darlow interest seems genuine.

What do we think?

I think he would be a good signing, decent record in this league.
140 games
176 conceded
43 clean sheets.

The majority of those games for a very average Forest side tbf.

If BPF can averageless then a goal a game for us in this style i imagine Darlow can do better.

And another link today.
West Ham teenage prospect Marcus Browne.

Shining on loan in league 1 for Oxford.
5 goals 3 assists.
Oxford are lower end of that table so even more impressive, but unfortunately itd be another loan.

Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsa on the transfer window: "The possibility of strengthening the team is hypothetical, not concrete. There are some clear facts - for example, we have less players than at the beginning of the season - but to add players while increasing the level of the team is not easy."
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:12 pm Bielsa on the transfer window: "The possibility of strengthening the team is hypothetical, not concrete. There are some clear facts - for example, we have less players than at the beginning of the season - but to add players while increasing the level of the team is not easy."
Sounds like he is very much changing his stance.

If we can sign better players then we have then thats good.

Thats all anyone wanted, look to improve the squad.

Very happy, well done Marcelo :)
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think circumstances have dictated a slight change in stance as he is 2 players down due to Blackman's injury and Saiz's departure.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

The Daily Mail linking Leeds with
Jarrod Bowen who has 22 goals in 72 league games for Hull and goalkeeper Karl Darlow from Newcastle.
What do people think of Bowen?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:34 am The Daily Mail linking Leeds with
Jarrod Bowen who has 22 goals in 72 league games for Hull and goalkeeper Karl Darlow from Newcastle.
A Hull season-ticket holder friend of mine who I spoke to yesterday about Bowen

He doesn't rate him that highly, said "he's inconsistent & looks good in a poor Hull side, not good enough for the premiership"

I did make the point playing under Bielsa his form would very likely improve !
gessa

Post by gessa »

BobHirst wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:34 am The Daily Mail linking Leeds with
Hull want a minimum of £10m, he'll not be coming. Seems the sort of player that would fit into the system and is the right age though. Everton seems to be his most likely destination.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

gessa wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:33 am Hull want a minimum of £10m, he'll not be coming. Seems the sort of player that would fit into the system and is the right age though. Everton seems to be his most likely destination.
Good signing but 10 million, can’t see us spending that, heard Everton is his likely destination too
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Personally id be furious if we dont add 2 or 3 quality players in January and end up not going.up.

There was a stat i saw and a new year slide is what we do, only 1 season out of 15 i think it was have we not finished below where we were turn of the year.

This is the best position we have been in, but wouldnt be the first time we have beem in a good one and failed, Monk and Grayson for example.

Absolutely vital Radz gives Orta a decent budget and Orta finds a few quality players.

If Villa can spend £7mil on a goalie and seemingly be willing to spend a good chunk more, no reason we cant.

Over to you Radz.
Signed

King Cjay

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Club has stated it is looking to add players who will make an immediate impact, but fall into our wage structure, there’s too much hot air being spoutted in the papers and online to be able to make any judgement on what will happen, I think two, quality players will come in, three if Baker goes elsewhere.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..