Leeds Utd v Reading Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline : Leeds Utd v Reading

Poll ended at Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
No votes
2-2 or higher
No votes
Leeds by 1
18%
Reading by 1
No votes
Leeds by 2
64%
Reading by 2
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
18%
Reading by 3 or more
No votes

Total votes: 11

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Leeds Utd v Reading Match Thread

Post by SG90 »

If Douglas had scored that header after the first minute, I think we'd have cruised it, but that isn't the Leeds way! Still though that's two big chances he's missed to give us the lead, Wendies the other one.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

So that's four penalties the opposition have had at ER already this season and it's not even December yet. But Lee Johnson says the refs favour us... hmmmm.

On that note, I don't often praise refs in this league, but I thought Mike Dean was excellent tonight and kept the game flowing.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Coops MOM tonight - a real Captain's performance. BPF, Phillips, Roofe and Dallas not far behind. Can't believe that Sky gave it to Douglas. I thought he was poor defensively.

I'm still loving watching this Bielsa team. We're not at the level that we were at the start of the season, but some of the triangles tonight were lovely.
Last edited by Gandalf on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

SG90 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:50 pm So that's four penalties the opposition have had at ER already this season and it's not even December yet. But Lee Johnson says the refs favour us... hmmmm.

On that note, I don't often praise refs in this league, but I thought Mike Dean was excellent tonight and kept the game flowing.
Yep - good reffing performance tonight. Consistent and got the big calls right.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Douglas wasn't a deserving MOTM.
He had a decent game but looked uneasy and somewhat out if sorts following his earlier booking. Could see a foul coming a mile away.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cooper Motm for me. Two crucial tackles timed to perfection when Reading would have probably scored if he hadn't got them spot on.

Felt we were extremely sloppy at times and make it more uncomfortable than it should have been after we took the lead. We missed good chances and gave the ball away far too much. Great save from BPF which will hopefully give him a lift and was pleased to see him also cleanly catch a high ball in a dangerous situation earlier too - would have been very easy to drop or flap at.

Thought Douglas looked a lot shakier defensively second half and think that was down to Alioski not being on the pitch, however he also looked better going forward int he second half which was probably down to Hernandez being there so swings and roundabouts.

Was disappointed with Forshaw for lazily allowing their player to run past him to get to the ball (in the move where Reading carved us open but their player headed weakly at BPF).

Pleased for Dallas to get the goal and it shows why Bielsa plays him as he is able to get forward and back. Whilst not being brilliant putting in a 'shift' in that position is a key part of making Bielsa's system work.

Gotta hope Saiz starts the next match we look so much better when he is on the pitch.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Tonight was a classic example of when a team misses a very early 'great chance' which if buried would have probably led to a 3 or 4 goal win and what ended up being a bit of a hanging on operation. Alioski ?? I am no way equipped with Bielsas vision but as a fan what does he bring to the team ? Dallas, regularly slagged off on here, had a great game in a position which he probably doesnt prefer. Much better after the subs.......looking forward to playing Sheff Utd next weekend, which will certainly be one of our toughest challenges of the seaon.......we need to be better than tonight.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

All I have to say is that the players that have been getting flack for most of the games this season put in a real show tonight......ie Cooper (Great defending,) Dallas, (so right place right time with the goa) l and young Bailey (great saves and a penalty save as well) have all been vindicated tonight. Please, Let's just get behind the team????
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Didn’t watch the game but shock we limp through another performance. Ah well a win is a win! We will get caught eventually though!
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:02 am All I have to say is that the players that have been getting flack for most of the games this season put in a real show tonight......ie Cooper (Great defending,) Dallas, (so right place right time with the goa) l and young Bailey (great saves and a penalty save as well) have all been vindicated tonight. Please, Let's just get behind the team????
Alioski and Harrison play at all? Didn’t watch but they’ve both been abysmal
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I like that we won a 1-0. It's better if they get 1 or 2 more but there's something character and confidence-building about how the team manages a 1-0, especially against dour opponents.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Another win, another clean sheet and just one point off top spot. Proving yet again that Bielsa knows what he's doing.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

A deserved 3 points but ........pheew. I was glad to hear the final whistle.
I thought Cooper played great and also very good performances from Roofe and BPF.
The half time substitutions made a difference. I really don't see how Harrison gets to play instead of Clarke.
The ball retention and slick one time passing was a joy to watch.
Got to agree with Norfolk, I think Saiz had a right to be very disappointed that Clarke didn't play him in when he had the chance.
The penalty save was very very good. The penalty was hit well and was heading right into the corner but BPF guessed correctly and managed to get all the way over and tip it round the post.
Keep it up guys!
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

paddy parrott wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm Douglas wasn't a deserving MOTM.
He had a decent game but looked uneasy and somewhat out if sorts following his earlier booking. Could see a foul coming a mile away.
agreed . he nearly cost us no need to make a challenge the player and ball was going no where . they seem to never learn. very poor defending. also he should have buried that early chance . apart from one or two good crosses thought below average performance from him tonight. thank god for bpf !
cooper and roofe motm for me . roofe none stop running and could easily had an hat trick if it wasn't for some good saves from there keeper.
overall a massive win and 3 points. . a rare back to back home wins . however i felt we took our foot of the gas the last 15 a bit sloppy when we really should be going for that important killer second goal . got out of jail last night hopefully lessons will be learnt !
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:23 pm Not fair enough mate, he's like a headless chicken

I expect to hear one of your rants next time you see him play :lol:
Hahaha, thankfully Bielsa made the right call and didnt bring him on last night :-)
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Difficult to assess these performances currently. Both Bristol and Reading last night have hardly threatened us and there is absolutely no doubt that we are far superior but we are making such hard work of these wins right at the moment. All boils down to the same issue that we have been mentioning for months now, we are just not clinical enough in front of goal. I mean that header from Douglas in opening minutes, for a professional footballer to put that wide and by some distance, was unforgivable.

But it seems to be systematic of whats been happening of late. It would have been a travesty had Reading scored that pen last night - well done BPF by the way, I have slated him many times but that was a tremendous save - but the fact that we are not killing teams off, will hurt us one day for sure.

We seem to take the wrong option so many times when in the final third, young Jack Clarke for instance, although very happy how he performed as he did more in 45 mins than Alioski has done for weeks, could and should have put Saiz clean through to make it 2 v 0 and then its game over !

Just hope we can regain that killer instinct that we had earlier in the season when we were destroying the likes of Derby. We will certainly need it on Saturday as the Blades will be a real challenge and we cannot go into hiding as we did at West Brom in our last big away game.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I always enjoy reading everyone's comments after a game because it amazes me how people watch the same game, either live, on Sky or via an internet stream and yet people's views and opinions can differ so much.
Most people are saying that Cooper was MOTM and I can't argue with that, he was everything a center back and captain should be last night.
But Barry Douglas certainly got mixed comments from 'poor' to 'had a good game apart from the foul for the penalty'. Personally I thought he did well, some of his deliveries into the box were sublime and Kemar Roofe was very unlucky not to score from the header in the second half.
Also, very little praise for Adam Forshaw but I watched him closely last night and I thought he was excellent. Playing in the 'Phillips role' which Kalvin has done so well in this season Forshaw was everywhere breaking up play and starting some of our moves off.
Phillips did well alongside Cooper and maybe our fears of not having PJ available were a little unfounded?
Roofe was a real handful up front and we were much more of a threat when Saiz and Clarke came on. MB got those substitutions spot on and both should start against Sheff Utd. Saiz was poor up to when he got dropped a few games ago but he seems back to his best. And Clarke is so much better than Alioski or Harrison.
Opinions were divided about whether Jack Clarke should have passed to Saiz sooner or not but no-one mentioned that Jamie Shackleton was completely free to Clarke's left and he should have received the ball. Saiz had done his bit by dragging the defenders to the right.
I am so pleased for BPF as well. His and the rest of the team's reactions when he saved the penalty was fantastic and will have done him the world of good.
However, I still think we need to sign an experienced keeper in January.
I don't agree with Paul Clement's comments that they deserved a point but I do agree that they played well and frustrated us for long periods.
They looked decent going forward but they tired in the second half and the only downside was we didn't kill the game off and very, very nearly dropped two points.
Back in the automatic promotion places, on to Sheffield we go.
MOT
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 pm If Douglas had scored that header after the first minute, I think we'd have cruised it, but that isn't the Leeds way! Still though that's two big chances he's missed to give us the lead, Wendies the other one.
Douglas missed that header & almost cost us two points with a reckless challenge, Good going forward & played his part in the winning goal but his defending was really suspect at times.

Yet he wins the Sky MOTM & fans rated his display highly
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:22 am
Also, very little praise for Adam Forshaw but I watched him closely last night and I thought he was excellent
Spent more time going sideways & backwards stunting our attacking moves imo !