The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 21st Nov)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 21st Nov)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

We may see Forshaw and Saiz playing together on Saturday against Bristol City.

With Jansson out injured, it is believed that Phillips will switch to centre back allowing another midfielder to enter the frame.

I believe Forshaw will be asked to play deeper in a Phillips type role which will free up Saiz.

Square pegs in round holes or could it work?

Leeds are being linked with PSG teenage sensation Timothy Weah. The 18 yo striker is the son of former Ballon d'or superstar George Weah.

19yo striker Mallik Wilks is due in Court today to face charges of violent disorder and assault following a stabbing at a West Indian Carnival last year.

Outlining the violent disorder offence, the court clerk said it is alleged that, at Chapeltown Road, on August 28, 2017, Wilks "used or threatened unlawful violence and...as such would cause a person of reasonable firmness to fear for his or her safety."

Wilks, who is currently on loan at Doncaster Rovers has pleaded not guilty to both offences.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 21st Nov)

Post by Chilli D »

Morning EB1 and Everyone,

I expected the team changes to be pretty much what you have mentioned.
MB obviously doesn't think Shaughnessy is ready despite him having first team experience.

Timothy Weah? Most likely just paper talk. If he leaves PSG I doubt very much it will be to join us.

I don't know what to say about the Malik Wilks case really. I hope he wasn't involved but the police must feel they have enough evidence to proceed with the case.
Hopefully he will get cleared of all charges so he can continue his development at Donny.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Morning all. To be honest, if we cant beat Bristol at home, regardless of personnel, likely with our usual 70% possession, our season will be going nowhere anyway
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Good morning.

No, Phillips isnt a cb, you cant keep getting away with square pegs. Famara Diédhiou is 6ft3 and strong as an ox he would have a field day. Besides that would mean the right side of the defence would be Dallas and Phillips, they would be caught out of position often.

Paper talk, Timothy Weah isnt coming to Leeds anymore then George is.

Hope he isnt guilty but never know, just hope he wouldn't be so stupid given what happened.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am Morning EB1 and Everyone,

MB obviously doesn't think Shaughnessy is ready despite him having first team experience.
So if Bielsa doesn't rate Shaughnessy & we sent another tall CB O'Connor out on loan, why didn't we bring in a 3rd CB during the summer? Ayling is no CB, Phillips & Berardi are not commanding enough in the air

Crazy decision imo & one of the major reasons why we won't win this league, could even cost us a play-off place

Other clubs around us don't operate on just two big CB's
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 am Morning all. To be honest, if we cant beat Bristol at home, regardless of personnel, likely with our usual 70% possession, our season will be going nowhere anyway
Without Berardi, Ayling & Jansson & a keeper out of form our defence looks very fragile Eire, any calamity could happen, we may get away with it but I'm not confident even though we are playing a team whom have lost their last three matches
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

IMO it would put Forshaw in his best position so no square peg there. Phillips has been playing at CB or sweeper a lot this year and everyone has been raving so not sure why we're worried about that and not forgetting we've looked at our best when Pontus didn't play early season. That said Beradi was outstanding at CB and he's also injured.

Saiz has to start or Bristol can relax and not need to double team our AMF
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 am Good morning.

No, Phillips isnt a cb, you cant keep getting away with square pegs. Famara Diédhiou is 6ft3 and strong as an ox he would have a field day. Besides that would mean the right side of the defence would be Dallas and Phillips, they would be caught out of position often.
Correct Cjay :tup: I love Kalvin Phillips who has been a revelation this season imo, but he is not a main CB, his role is to protect Jansson & Cooper which has worked perfectly in the majority of our games so far !
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:24 am IMO it would put Forshaw in his best position so no square peg there. Phillips has been playing at CB or sweeper a lot this year and everyone has been raving so not sure why we're worried about that and not forgetting we've looked at our best when Pontus didn't play early season. That said Beradi was outstanding at CB and he's also injured.

Saiz has to start or Bristol can relax and not need to double team our AMF
Agree on Saiz and Forshaw.

But think having Dallas and Philips as our right side of defence is pushing it.

Dallas positional sense is poor (as shown at WBA). Then asking Phillips (who i dont think has been as amazing as some) to cover for him and do his defensive duties wont work, Jansson couldn't do it dont see why Phillips could.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:27 am Correct Cjay :tup: I love Kalvin Phillips who has been a revelation this season imo, but he is not a main CB, his role is to protect Jansson & Cooper which has worked perfectly in the majority of our games so far !
Think theres a big difference between what Phillips has been doing and being a main cb from the start imo.

Famara Diédhiou I'm a fan, he is big, strong and quick, good player at this level and undoubtedly he would target Phillips.

Apart from him being 4 or 5 inches taller, he is probably quicker and stronger. It just wouldn't work.

Phillips isnt Javi Martinez, in the same way Dallas isnt Arturo Vidal. Just hope Bielsa realises this.
Signed

King Cjay

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:17 am So if Bielsa doesn't rate Shaughnessy & we sent another tall CB O'Connor out on loan, why didn't we bring in a 3rd CB during the summer? Ayling is no CB, Phillips & Berardi are not commanding enough in the air

Crazy decision imo & one of the major reasons why we won't win this league, could even cost us a play-off place

Other clubs around us don't operate on just two big CB's
shaughnessy and o'connor are not good enough and berardi lacks height and his a liability .
agree we needed and should have brought cb in the summer . its wasn't rocket science.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:53 am shaughnessy and o'connor are not good enough and berardi lacks height and his a liability .
agree we needed and should have brought cb in the summer . its wasn't rocket science.
Most on here don't think it's a problem

As you say it wasn't rocket science '63, we are one of the smallest teams in the championship hence why we have a problem at set-pieces

We haven't one physical player in midfield or up top to assist with set-pieces. Both Wood & Becchio use to win their fair share of headers at the back

Under Monk we had Ayling, Pontus, Bartley, Berardi or Taylor plus Wood (with Cooper as back-up)

On Saturday our defensive line-up maybe Dallas, Cooper, Phillips, Forshaw & Douglas :(
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Time to keep the set pieces down to a minimum then!
it promises to be an interesting game.
Have they got any "I was there when we last got a penalty" T -Shirts?

What is it? 60 games now?
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:57 pm Most on here don't think it's a problem

As you say it wasn't rocket science '63, we are one of the smallest teams in the championship hence why we have a problem at set-pieces

We haven't one physical player in midfield or up top to assist with set-pieces. Both Wood & Becchio use to win their fair share of headers at the back

Under Monk we had Ayling, Pontus, Bartley, Berardi or Taylor plus Wood (with Cooper as back-up)

On Saturday our defensive line-up maybe Dallas, Cooper, Phillips, Forshaw & Douglas :(
Not true, Leon, and you know it. Most on here, either in the summer or when the question has been posed about January, have said we need another CB. Bielsa apparently thought not, but that could now have changed. Phillips isn't a CB, though he may be able to cover in the short term. No issue with Forshaw as DM, it'll stop him getting in Klich's way. And I think Saiz has earned a recall.

Do agree that we lack a physical presence in an attacking sense and when defending set pieces
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm Not true, Leon, and you know it. Most on here, either in the summer or when the question has been posed about January, have said we need another CB. Bielsa apparently thought not, but that could now have changed. Phillips isn't a CB, though he may be able to cover in the short term. No issue with Forshaw as DM, it'll stop him getting in Klich's way. And I think Saiz has earned a recall.

Do agree that we lack a physical presence in an attacking sense and when defending set pieces
Maybe I worded it wrongly Nick, it just seems that folk are content that we haven't got a suitable replacement for Pontus or Cooper. I hate to say anything against Bielsa's point of view on the CB issue but I do think he has made the wrong call. Not all clubs in the championship play their football on the ground, many teams play for free-kicks & long balls to exploit teams like ourselves !

And yes I would start Saiz on Saturday :tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

Most on here don't think it's a problem

There are people who trust Bielsa's methods, including not needing more centre backs, but I'm not one of them and it may not be 'most'. No matter what the formation is, we need a settled back line and we haven't had one all season. Results reflect that. Aside from injuries we've got 1 great CB and 1 enormously competent left back, both of whom show great class, but we definitely need Berardi at right back and another CB than Cooper imo.
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

People forget we were without Jansson for the first few games of the season when beradi and cooper played with Phillips in front of them, Forshaw can play the Phillips role and Phillips would be a better option than beradi in my opinion as his positional play and control and distribution would be streets ahead of beradi who I think is poor
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am Morning EB1 and Everyone,

Timothy Weah? Most likely just paper talk. If he leaves PSG I doubt very much it will be to join us.

I don't know what to say about the Malik Wilks case really. I hope he wasn't involved but the police must feel they have enough evidence to proceed with the case.
Hopefully he will get cleared of all charges so he can continue his development at Donny.

Chilli
Evening Chilli D, it seems the charges against Wilks are not very serious when you consider someone was stabbed which would carry a far bigger charge.. I dare say with some plea bargaining perhaps his charges will be downscaled to affray.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:37 am Morning all. To be honest, if we cant beat Bristol at home, regardless of personnel, likely with our usual 70% possession, our season will be going nowhere anyway
Evening Eire, I'd be surprised if we don't win by a couple of goals
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 am Good morning.

Paper talk, Timothy Weah isnt coming to Leeds anymore then George is.

Hope he isnt guilty but never know, just hope he wouldn't be so stupid given what happened.
Evening Cjay, well said, square pegs in round holes, though Phillips drops that deep sometimes that he plays as a sweeper..