THE #LUFC BREAKFAST DEBATE (TUE 20TH NOVEMBER)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

THE #LUFC BREAKFAST DEBATE (TUE 20TH NOVEMBER)

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning Everyone

Representatives of all 24 Championship teams, led by Leeds, Derby and Aston Villa will gather at Villa Park today to discuss their next move after seeing objections to Sky’s new contract rejected by the EFL’s board.[/b]

The rebel clubs are hoping to persuade the EFL to change their plans from a five-year new contract with Sky to a one-year extension to the current contract.

Fortunately Jansson's ankle injury that he picked up at the Hawthorns is not as serious as first thought. It's doubtful whether he'll be fit to face Bristol City at the weekend but should be available for the visit of Reading.

This means that Cooper is our only recognised centre back!

James Collins and Robert Huth are both still free agents - thoughts anyone?

Is anyone wondering why Blackman wasn't given more of a chance to showcase his talent in pre season?

Blackman was out of condition (compared to the Leeds players) when he joined in July!

Three weeks into a pre-season programme saw virtually all of their players shed weight and body fat as Bielsa pushed them en masse to a higher level of fitness.

Blackman missed a number of friendlies as United worked to get him into the same shape and by the time the Championship season started, Bielsa had set his mind on starting Peacock-Farrell.

I wonder what Bielsa would have made of Paddy Kenny.
1964white

Re: THE #LUFC BREAKFAST DEBATE (TUE 20TH NOVEMBER)

Post by 1964white »

Just noticed Elland (Matt) hadn't posted his Breakfast Debate topic up today

Maybe the BIRTHDAY BOY is busy celebrating & is worse for wear already

:beer: :wine: :martini: :cocktail: :tumbler: :beers:

Anyway here is his topic to discuss
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

It would be great if the EFL could negotiate a high-earning deal with broadcasters to cover the Championship. Obviously it will still be dwarfed by the deal for the all-popular Premier League, but it should be more than the agree amount.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Blimey, Didn't I. Could have sworn I did....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Why I'm I not surprised that Jansson is unavailable for the visit of Bristol City ?

We've been playing a dangerous game all season

Radz/Orta & Bielsa need to take a long look at their philosophy of working on such limited resources.

The Championship is an unforgiving league, not a tinpot Scottish/Norwegian/Dutch/etc type of league

Without Jansson, Ayling or Berardi our likely line-up of Dallas Cooper Phillips ????? Douglas does not inspire me.

How many more points are we gonna chuck away because of our tight-arse management ?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The rebel clubs are hoping to persuade the EFL to change their plans from a five-year new contract with Sky to a one-year extension to the current contract.

Can see a breakaway league forming in a similar way to how the premiership did. May even be that it would become a closed shop with just 2 premier leagues and only promotion relegation between the two divisions and leagues 1 and left to flounder. The EFL have to be very careful how they play this as the only real interest in their product is because of the big name teams like us, Villa, Forest etc - lose them and no tv companies will pay for league 1 and 2.

James Collins and Robert Huth are both still free agents - thoughts anyone?

Can't see Bielsa going for them as he'd have to train them up for a few weeks to get them used to his way. Much more likely that back-up will come from within whether it is players out of position or from the U23s.

Is anyone wondering why Blackman wasn't given more of a chance to showcase his talent in pre season?

Did seem strange that he wasn't given more matches, perhaps Bielsa liked what he saw of BPF from the videos from last season and decided to go with him from early on. It may also be the case that Bielsa wants to predominantly use our own players and sees the loanees as back up only - may explain why the other loan signings seem to be on the fringes too.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 am Blimey, Didn't I. Could have sworn I did....
Sorry to step on your toes Matt. I know several of our members look forward to your BD topics
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:14 am James Collins and Robert Huth are both still free agents - thoughts anyone?

Can't see Bielsa going for them as he'd have to train them up for a few weeks to get them used to his way. Much more likely that back-up will come from within whether it is players out of position or from the U23s.
More points dropped then :(

If only we'd had shown just little more ambition & common-sense with the numbers in our squad during the summer we could have walked this league if Bielsa had enough workable tools in his toolbox.

As is the usual case with Leeds United our huge fan base invest their hard-earned monies into our beloved club & we make do putting square pegs in round holes. Is it any wonder why we amble around in the championship year after year
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:13 am Why I'm I not surprised that Jansson is unavailable for the visit of Bristol City ?

We've been playing a dangerous game all season

Radz/Orta & Bielsa need to take a long look at their philosophy of working on such limited resources.

The Championship is an unforgiving league, not a tinpot Scottish/Norwegian/Dutch/etc type of league

Without Jansson, Ayling or Berardi our likely line-up of Dallas Cooper Phillips ????? Douglas does not inspire me.

How many more points are we gonna chuck away because of our tight-arse management ?
Lots as long as 75% of our fan base seem to think the sun shines out of Radrizannis arse and make excuse after excuse for his zero spending
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:33 am Lots as long as 75% of our fan base seem to think the sun shines out of Radrizannis arse and make excuse after excuse for his zero spending
When you think our net spend of £3m was similar to the likes of Wigan, Reading, Hull & Birmingham.

Yes LUFC's overheads maybe high but our revenue must outweigh the overall costs
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sigh ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:08 amSigh ....
You'll be sighing even more if we miss out on the play-offs :(
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not expecting the playoffs mate...unless you're Abramovich rich or been given a shed load of dish by sky/epl for 3 years then you live within a budget. I can't remember the last complete rebuild team that rebuilt completely in season 1 without 100 M pounds to play with

Everything currently in the LUFC garden is rosy...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

This Villa Park summit doesn’t sit well with me, surely his focus should be on not being involved with this deal next year by getting promoted?!
Our squad is small, due to our coaches preference, which he has explained, I’m sure he’ll reasses his needs.
Too much negativity, it’s weird the hate our board get, it’s not easy, if it was we’d all be running clubs. A second keeper, winger and CB, were in a great position, I heard once the championship is a long slog, gets very long if you jump on every negative as if it’s a pre planned sabotage to drain money from the club.
Happy birthday El!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

This Villa Park summit doesn’t sit well with me, surely his focus should be on not being involved with this deal next year by getting promoted?!
Our squad is small, due to our coaches preference, which he has explained, I’m sure he’ll reasses his needs.
Too much negativity, it’s weird the hate our board get, it’s not easy, if it was we’d all be running clubs. A second keeper, winger and CB, were in a great position, I heard once the championship is a long slog, gets very long if you jump on every negative as if it’s a pre planned sabotage to drain money from the club.
Happy birthday El!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:26 am Not expecting the playoffs mate...unless you're Abramovich rich or been given a shed load of dish by sky/epl for 3 years then you live within a budget. I can't remember the last complete rebuild team that rebuilt completely in season 1 without 100 M pounds to play with

Everything currently in the LUFC garden is rosy...
A free-agent commanding CB such as Collins or Huth would not have cost a lot of dosh, well within our budget I suspect. I'd have felt much easier going into our next batch of games without Cooper or Jansson if we had a experienced defender who is good in the air, as it stands we may only have Cooper v Bristol City :(

Likewise Coyle wouldn't have broken the bank as he is one of our own whose salary is peanuts I'm led to believe & he is far ahead of our defenders in our U23 squad

All about common-sense but affluent businessmen don't always use the brains !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

A FA like Huth etc would not be able to slot right in...sign them if you like and they're cheap enough but we can't start them. Not in condition and not used to the system. Huth is a 34 yr old who hasn't played for 18 months. Collins is drawing his pension isn't he ? 35 and no takers since WH let him go....that says something about him

But signing them seems a waste of time to me....invest in the youth and we will reap the rewards down the line
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dont see the point of the meeting, wont change anything.

EFL have signed a contract now, its finished. Radz and all these pther chairman had plenty of time to drum up a rival bid, Radz himself could have bid, he didn't.

Nobody else bid, if Radz was so annoyed why didnt he bid?

Its again great PR but its just posturing, Radz could have put his money where his mouth is (common theme this, hello all these connections like Wolves ).

What happens if Sky think "you know what, sod you then". Then they back out which is what they said they would do, they did it before over La Liga and the Golf.

There are no other options, if the EFL had a better offer they would have taken it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 pm Dont see the point of the meeting, wont change anything.

EFL have signed a contract now, its finished. Radz and all these pther chairman had plenty of time to drum up a rival bid, Radz himself could have bid, he didn't.

Nobody else bid, if Radz was so annoyed why didnt he bid?

Its again great PR but its just posturing, Radz could have put his money where his mouth is (common theme this, hello all these connections like Wolves ).

What happens if Sky think "you know what, sod you then". Then they back out which is what they said they would do, they did it before over La Liga and the Golf.

There are no other options, if the EFL had a better offer they would have taken it.
Perhaps AR is hoping Sky pull out - he can then swoop in with a much lower offer. AR knows this market, he knows how much he could get selling TV rights for Leeds across the world and if Sky was to pull out then Leeds would be in a great position if we could sell our individual rights. It might even be better financially for Leeds to be in the championship with an individual deal rather than in the premiership under the blanket Sky/BT deals - that will get the conspiracy theorists going nuts.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Bielsa has always insisted on having a small squad supplemented by youth players. He seemed happy with Cooper and PJ with Berardi, Shaugnessy and Ayling as back up. If all those got long term injuries then I am sure he would look at signing another centreback and it may well now be the case that he does in January - however you can't go into the season and have a squad that can cover mass injuries in 1 position. Is Huth, likely to be a better fit in our system than one of our U23s who has played this style of football all season?