West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Scoreline :West Brom v Leeds Utd

Poll ended at Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:52 pm

0-0
No votes
1-1
19%
2-2 or higher
13%
Brom by 1
6%
Leeds by 1
38%
Brom by 2
No votes
Leeds by 2
25%
Brom by 3 or more
No votes
Leeds by 3 or more
No votes

Total votes: 16

leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Re: West Brom v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by leic white 63 »

the harsh truths are roofe is not a lone striker , hes not intelligent enough . need a c wood type player.
need a winger who can beat a man which will drag defenders over and open spaces up and can deliver a cross not some pansy with little knowledge like that scrote alioski . a good strong experience keeper also a quality cb to play along side jansson . facts are we need ayling , bamford and brown back asap and spend some dam money on quality not cheap options . we have a nucleus of a good team just lacking in on or two departments at the moment.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 pm We were very poor and deserved everything we got.
Against the quality of WBA attacks our limited Championship players like Phillips, Cooper and Dallas were always going to struggle.
Quality players will always beat well coached players if the tactics are right.
Forcing us to kick long to Roofe was clever to.
WBA are a better team individually who were tactically spot on, no complaints.
Harrison should never have been on the bench ahead of Clarke.
You can only play square pegs for so long, was always going to happen.
And BPF is shite.
I noticed you don't mention the scrawny big girl's blouse Alioski, a very average footballer who somehow manages to play 90 minutes of every game contributing a minimum shift but seems exempt from being substituted. Is it any wonder why Douglas reacted when he was subbed & he sees a player in front of him masquerading as a Leeds United footballer :chair:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The main reason Alioski is in the team is because he fits the criteria of what Bielsa needs in that position - albeit better end product would be good but then you are talking big bucks. For the team to be balanced right and working then Bielsa needs wingers that get forward at pace but also work back which allows the full backs the freedom to attack. The trouble is that without Saiz in the middle to carry the team from one area to another (transitions I think Bielsa calls it) then a lot of the other cogs simply don't work properly. Bielsa's machine works fine but only with enough of the right cogs in place - even if some of the cogs lack a consistent end ball the fact is that they are doing the right things and the opposition has to try to deal with them in case the end product is good (even if it is say only good 1 in 10). That is why when we have been playing well we have looked good until the final ball. But take away the cogs that get us into the positions to play the final ball and we then look poor.

Man City look great doing what we are doing because they can pay £50m for a player that can do everything that Pep Guardiola wants. a Debruyne or Silva for example will do the things that our players can but they will also find the right end product 7 or 8 times out of 10 whereas our players might find it 2 or 3 times out of 10.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

HarryofOz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:07 pm It seems that either this league is crap or our coach is great, because we have been challenging for the top spot all season despite all those allegedly decidedly average players that we have.
My theory is both options are correct. If so many of the teams around us hadn't dropped so many points, I don't think we would be anywhere near the top.

In saying that, Bielsa has been able to get the best out of a few players and play a style of football we can enjoy. However, the team has never filled me with an amazing sense of belief that it can truly challenge the top teams for the whole season. We shall see, I enjoy being proved wrong.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Sad, people taking glee sticking it to some of our players.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Yeah no need dezzy we were turned over and well battered by a top team in this league. For me our lot ( Collectively) were A no match in midfield & B. Therefore unable to threaten their rearguard. If you need want to personal well just look at West Brom as where they are regarding personal no to mention their bench players. After all they are probably on premier league salaries too. Ask ourselves the question ? Had we been Outmuscled .or purely outclassed?.. I think the former though .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:25 am The main reason Alioski is in the team is because he fits the criteria of what Bielsa needs in that position - albeit better end product would be good but then you are talking big bucks. For the team to be balanced right and working then Bielsa needs wingers that get forward at pace but also work back which allows the full backs the freedom to attack. The trouble is that without Saiz in the middle to carry the team from one area to another (transitions I think Bielsa calls it) then a lot of the other cogs simply don't work properly. Bielsa's machine works fine but only with enough of the right cogs in place - even if some of the cogs lack a consistent end ball the fact is that they are doing the right things and the opposition has to try to deal with them in case the end product is good (even if it is say only good 1 in 10). That is why when we have been playing well we have looked good until the final ball. But take away the cogs that get us into the positions to play the final ball and we then look poor.

Man City look great doing what we are doing because they can pay £50m for a player that can do everything that Pep Guardiola wants. a Debruyne or Silva for example will do the things that our players can but they will also find the right end product 7 or 8 times out of 10 whereas our players might find it 2 or 3 times out of 10.
From an attacking point of view I suspect young Jack Clarke would give us more going forward
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

paddy parrott wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:23 am Yeah no need dezzy we were turned over and well battered by a top team in this league. For me our lot ( Collectively) were A no match in midfield & B. Therefore unable to threaten their rearguard. If you need want to personal well just look at West Brom as where they are regarding personal no to mention their bench players. After all they are probably on premier league salaries too. Ask ourselves the question ? Had we been Outmuscled .or purely outclassed?.. I think the former though .
A bad day at the office, PP. Happens to all teams every now and again, thing is, is for the team to learn from it, I’m sure they will with the coach we have.
Your never as good as some think and not as poor as some like to think
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:10 am Sad, people taking glee sticking it to some of our players.
I just having a pop at those whom are critical of players that have generally been our most consistent over the season.

We are always gonna lose games, the concern is the way we fell apart so easily

The key is we won't be playing a premiership line-up every week.

None of our players have played in the premiership
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

A reality check. We are short in real quality in several areas Keeper, right back,striker. People pinning hopes on a returning Bamford or an on loan Browne who may or may not be interested or any better than the other poor loaners we got. If Bielsa is to be believed there won’t be any January signings so I suspect we may have to settle for a scramble for a play off position
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am A bad day at the office, PP. Happens to all teams every now and again, thing is, is for the team to learn from it, I’m sure they will with the coach we have.
Your never as good as some think and not as poor as some like to think
Very true indeed
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Bad bad day.

BPF - tbh I'd still keep him in goal and am sure Bielsa will too, but he's never going to be a top class keeper and the mistake for yesterday's second goal was a really bad one, there was no deflection on the shot or anything. However, after that he made two or three decent saves showing it didn't knock his confidence and tbf as long as it's not wiedwald back in goal I don't mind.

Back four - all poor I thought for the goals. People giving Jansson MOTM but he was at fault for at least the first goal as he was too far away from the striker when he shot. Still the best defence we've had in a long time and would like us to get a right back in for Dallas in January as he went missing a few times.

Hernandez - turned it off by the time it got to his goal but he was embarrassingly bad, constantly gave the ball away.

Klich probably the best out of the midfield but gave the ball away for the second goal.

ali- forgot he was on the pitch

harrison - when he came on....dear oh dear...he was awful

Roofe - as has been said, not a lone striker and lost the ball everytime he got it yesterday, really bad day and glad we haven't offered him that bumper contract already. Roberts not really much better when he came on.

We've played like this for a while and got away with it. We have all this possession but its often around our back line or passing across the midfield 30 yards out from goal, there's no penetration and we can't just whip balls into the box because Roofe isn't big enough for that. I noticed yesterday sometimes there was a big gap between defence and Roofe and we just had to launch it forward. When passing it through, as said above, its slow and we get to the opposition's box and just try to somehow pass it through 11 defenders - which obviously doesn't work.

Having said all that, I think we will beat a decent number of teams this season just by having so much possession and the quality of our players, especially the poorer teams, but got caught out by west brom yesterday. For me Bielsa needs to change his plans a bit and work on how to break teams down better.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

And Philips mate..? You didn't mention him .
hector

Post by hector »

For me even before this match WBA were the team that will win the league, there is a lot of class in that team, and yesterday it just gelled for them, as it has done for us on occasion... we will be up there or there abouts with the team we have....

we have 2 right backs, it just so happens that both are crocked at the moment, and how can anyone prepare for that happening? at the moment Dallas is the best we have to fit in there, but he was missing for a lot of the time yesterday..... so maybe time for a youngster to come in

Why he took Douglas off and Klich off I will never understand..

BUT...
that was yesterday.....

next!!
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:09 am A reality check. We are short in real quality in several areas Keeper, right back,striker. People pinning hopes on a returning Bamford or an on loan Browne who may or may not be interested or any better than the other poor loaners we got. If Bielsa is to be believed there won’t be any January signings so I suspect we may have to settle for a scramble for a play off position
pretty certain there be f**k all signings ..... unless its a crock on a freebie . be the normal excuses but in theory we really should have bought in the summer if we was ambitious enough instead of these w**k loanees . the real facts are that our shrewd owner can peel a orange in his pocket. stingy tight ba***rd.
LevLeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @Simonlev99

Post by LevLeeds »

As bad as we were, i'm sorry but hats off to WBA, the players and Darren Moore. That was the first side we came up against and stood tall, gave us nothing away and got right in our faces. We've never faced that before and had no answer for it, we didn't know what to do. Write it off, and we move on. Im sure we will bounce back, but every other team will now do the same thing. Don't sit back and defend, that's asking for trouble teams will come out after us now, esp the better sides like WBA. They have some serious quality in the side btw, some people seem to forget that. Over an out!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:09 am A reality check. We are short in real quality in several areas Keeper, right back,striker. People pinning hopes on a returning Bamford or an on loan Browne who may or may not be interested or any better than the other poor loaners we got. If Bielsa is to be believed there won’t be any January signings so I suspect we may have to settle for a scramble for a play off position
So a lack of ambition could cost us once again Eire :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:54 am pretty certain there be f**k all signings ..... unless its a crock on a freebie . be the normal excuses but in theory we really should have bought in the summer if we was ambitious enough instead of these w**k loanees . the real facts are that our shrewd owner can peel a orange in his pocket. stingy tight ba***rd.
I was saying this yesterday, we only have eleven available players at a pinch who are good enough for a first team place, not great if we are looking to achieve a play-off place.

Having two decent players in every position is a load of nonsense, you only have to note how we fell apart when we made our substitutions yesterday or when we were without Hernandez & Roofe for two months. If we lose Pontus for a sustained period we'll be totally fooked :(

The loaning signings are not good enough & the U23's are not ready yet !

Why do we make a mess of every transfer window ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LevLeeds wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:01 pm As bad as we were, i'm sorry but hats off to WBA, the players and Darren Moore. That was the first side we came up against and stood tall, gave us nothing away and got right in our faces. We've never faced that before and had no answer for it, we didn't know what to do. Write it off, and we move on. Im sure we will bounce back, but every other team will now do the same thing. Don't sit back and defend, that's asking for trouble teams will come out after us now, esp the better sides like WBA. They have some serious quality in the side btw, some people seem to forget that. Over an out!
Correct Lev we won't be playing the baggies every week :tup:
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 pm I was saying this yesterday, we only have eleven available players at a pinch who are good enough for a first team place, not great if we are looking to achieve a play-off place.

Having two decent players in every position is a load of nonsense, you only have to note how we fell apart when we made our substitutions yesterday or when we were without Hernandez & Roofe for two months. If we lose Pontus for a sustained period we'll be totally fooked :(

The loaning signings are not good enough & the U23's are not ready yet !

Why do we make a mess of every transfer window ?
simply because the owner is a cheapskate. if only we have shown a tad of ambition i genuinely believe we would have got promoted this year. we might still 64 but with the lack of ambition again i really fear it will probably cost us. hope im wrong.