Phillips or Vieira ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Phillips or Vieira ?

Post by 1964white »

Now the dust has settled......

Phillips or Vieira ?
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: Phillips or Vieira ?

Post by dezzy »

How is Ronaldo getting on it Italy? Would have loved to have seen him develop the same way as Phillips, certainly had the talent
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
gessa

Post by gessa »

dezzy wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:31 am How is Ronaldo getting on it Italy? Would have loved to have seen him develop the same way as Phillips, certainly had the talent

Last I read he wasn't getting much game time but the club were happy the way he is progressing in training, they said he wasn't bought for this season.

Was sorry to see him leave, definitely think he'll be one in the future that we'll be saying" can't believe we let him go".

Tbh I dont want to draw comparisons Phillips has improved immensely under MB, no reason that RV couldn't have done the same.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Different players tbf for me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Phillips has improved under Bielsa and credit for that.

However as Ges said there is no reason Vieira wouldn't have done the same.

Vieira was an asset we had who others wanted, Phillips wasnt which is an indication imo.

Vieira has more natural talent and is a few years younger.

Decorated youth international who was brought as a long term replacement for a world cup star.

Phillips has done well but Vieira always was the higher rated player in the footballing world and it will take more then 10-15 games for Phillips to prove on the same level talent wise as RV.

Jorge Mendes staked his reputation on Vieira, that speaks volumes.

Phillips has done well but Vieira is still the one id rather have.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

gessa wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 am Last I read he wasn't getting much game time but the club were happy the way he is progressing in training, they said he wasn't bought for this season.

Was sorry to see him leave, definitely think he'll be one in the future that we'll be saying" can't believe we let him go".

Tbh I dont want to draw comparisons Phillips has improved immensely under MB, no reason that RV couldn't have done the same.
Agree with this Vieira is a good young player who may well have flourished under MB like Kalvin has but we’ll never know
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 am Phillips has improved under Bielsa and credit for that.

However as Ges said there is no reason Vieira wouldn't have done the same.

Vieira was an asset we had who others wanted, Phillips wasnt which is an indication imo.

Vieira has more natural talent and is a few years younger.

Decorated youth international who was brought as a long term replacement for a world cup star.

Phillips has done well but Vieira always was the higher rated player in the footballing world and it will take more then 10-15 games for Phillips to prove on the same level talent wise as RV.

Jorge Mendes staked his reputation on Vieira, that speaks volumes.

Phillips has done well but Vieira is still the one id rather have.
Well said, Bielsa wasn’t happy to let Viera go, a shame.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

gessa wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 am Last I read he wasn't getting much game time but the club were happy the way he is progressing in training, they said he wasn't bought for this season.

A pity, feel he would have been amazing under the new coaching set up, just like Phillips has done,
1964white

Post by 1964white »

No one committing themselves then :lol:

I have to go with our player of the season, that's my boy Phillips

I believe KP/Vieira were on a similar standing last season, both were inconsistent & erratic, always felt we could do better than the pair in the middle of the park as has proven this season.

Philips has revelled in his new role under Bielsa & I would assume he is ahead of Vieira's progression now, difficult to judge as I haven't seen Ronaldo play since he left Leeds.

I doubt Vieira has pushed on to the standard of Phillips level but I maybe wrong
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:03 am No one committing themselves then :lol:

I have to go with our player of the season, that's my boy Phillips

I believe KP/Vieira were on a similar standing last season, both were inconsistent & erratic, always felt we could do better than the pair in the middle of the park as has proven this season.

Philips has revelled in his new role under Bielsa & I would assume he is ahead of Vieira's progression now, difficult to judge as I haven't seen Ronaldo play since he left Leeds.

I doubt Vieira has pushed on to the standard of Phillips level but I maybe wrong
Its still Vieira for me (we will never agree which is fine).

Philips has developed well so far but we dont know how RV would have done.

He was the more natural DM of the pair though.

Nearly 3 years younger then Phillips to with far more recognition in football so far as a Double Toulon Tournament winner and was named on the prestigious CIES list as one of the best young players in the world u20 in February.

We'll never know how RV would have done unfortunately.

But Vieira is the younger player who is already deemed good enough to be at the 5th placed team in Serie A.

Until anyone shows firm interest in Phillips from a top level club Vieira will always be the more talented player imo.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:19 am
We'll never know how RV would have done unfortunately.
We may know if Vieira develops into a Champions League or a full international player
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

dezzy wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am Well said, Bielsa wasn’t happy to let Viera go, a shame.
Widely reported we were touting Vieira around all summer.

I'm sure Bielsa knew that.
Signed

King Cjay

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:09 pm Widely reported we were touting Vieira around all summer.

I'm sure Bielsa knew that.
When Viera left Bielsa expressed disappointment, but yeah the club were keen to sell an asset to get some cash, one of the bigger mistakes, when you consider Forshaw and Klich aren’t natural defensive midfielders and Philips can put in a shift at CB, so no reason we couldn’t have kept both, imagine how good he could have been under Bielsa
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

phillips. still cant believe we got 10 mill for someone who couldnt pass on a cold.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:35 pm phillips. still cant believe we got 10 mill for someone who couldnt pass on a cold.
That has all changed this season though

86% pass rate v Ipswich & often above 75% in the majority of his games

Apparently Vieira never gave the ball away :roll:
gessa

Post by gessa »

It it was tv's we were talking about much prefer a viera to a phillips, good gear is the panasonic.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm That has all changed this season though

86% pass rate v Ipswich & often above 75% in the majority of his games

Apparently Vieira never gave the ball away :roll:
:? i think you miss understood me there 64. !!!!!!!
id rather have phillips all day long because vieira couldnt pass on a cold !
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

As Phillips is the one we have. Phillips. He has been nothing short of outstanding this year. Viera (although highly rated) was very inconsistent and did struggle with his passing.
Put it this way, how many games where we have either lost or drawn has anyone said, if only we had Viera here we might have got something out of that game? .

I think he was the one asset we had that we could afford to sell without too many negative repercussions for the season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leic white 63 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:57 pm :? i think you miss understood me there 64. !!!!!!!
id rather have phillips all day long because vieira couldnt pass on a cold !
Apologies I did 63

Difficult to comprehend how a midfielder who can't pass a ball for toffee can become a top player
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:00 pm Apologies I did 63

Difficult to comprehend how a midfielder who can't pass a ball for toffee can become a top player
apologies accepted old chap :)