The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 17th Oct)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 17th Oct)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds are expected to bring close to 7000 fans to Ewood Park on Saturday for their lunch time kick off against Blackburn Rovers.

Has Bielsa's standards fallen short with the loan players that arrived in the Summer?

Blackman and Baker have barely kicked a ball, Harrison blows hot and cold and Brown is still returning from injury.

Am I being harsh?

Don't get me wrong, what El Loco has managed to get out of last season's rejects is incredible but how much of it was Leeds players under achieving?

Marcus Antonsson has scored five goals in eight league starts for Malmo.

The 27-year-old is also being entrusted to lead the line in the Europa League, having netted in both of their qualifying matches to help the club reach the group stages.

Did we let him go too soon?
gessa

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 17th Oct)

Post by gessa »

Not harsh at all Matt, non have impressed, is Harrison any better than Clarke? who should be given a chance ahead of him imo.

Antonsson, like Antenuci, good players at the club at the wrong time being asked to play out of position by shite managers.
I think Antennuci would thrive under Belisa and his system.
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

I think we all believed last year that the squad we had, underachieved based on their ability.

IMHO we always had the players to compete at the sharp end of the league, but without the necessary leadership to instill in them the belief and discipline to do so. We proved at the front end of the year that we had the ability to rip teams apart, but always appeared to lack the fitness. This told after around 10 games or so.

As for the loan signings, for me, Baker has looked decent when he has played for us, getting himself into good positions. Harrison has shown flashes of the player he can be but also been frustrating as well. Definitely looked better on the left last week when he switched there with Alioski moving to left wing back (if Douglas is out of the next game, and Hernandez isn't fit to return). I would then move Clarke onto the right wing.

As for Blackman, jury is out. He hasn't looked any better the BPF so for me BPF stays as i would rather us develop our own than someone else's.

Obviously nobody has seen anything of Brown as he is injured, but if (and admittedly it is a big IF) he comes back to us with the form he has shown in previous years then he will be a huge asset.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:14 am Good Morning Everyone
Leeds are expected to bring close to 7000 fans to Ewood Park on Saturday for their lunch time kick off against Blackburn Rovers
Good afternoon Matt

I'll be one of them :scar1
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:14 am Has Bielsa's standards fallen short with the loan players that arrived in the Summer?
Blackman and Baker have barely kicked a ball, Harrison blows hot and cold and Brown is still returning from injury.
Am I being harsh?
No your not being harsh Matt
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:14 am Marcus Antonsson has scored five goals in eight league starts for Malmo.
The 27-year-old is also being entrusted to lead the line in the Europa League, having netted in both of their qualifying matches to help the club reach the group stages.
Did we let him go too soon?
NO! simple fact is Antonsson wasn't up to championship level, a type of player who fits in well at a club like Malmo
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:48 am I think Antennuci would thrive under Belisa and his system.
I agree Ges :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Curious signings all three. I thought BPF showed enough last season to warrant further looks and behind him we had a couple of kids who look promising too. We've since added a couple more so I guess we needed a back up with some Champ. experience. Though I do think he (Blackman) was bought here as a starter, no way he agrees to that loan to sit on the bench..

Harrison is raw, has a decent ceiling but is playing too slow for me at the moment and up to now a little to one footed to be truly effective in the Champ.

Baker has flashed, and Brown we're not paying for other than what it's costing us to re-hab him

I still don't what the point in loans is unless you're a poor lower league club or in depth difficulties
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:48 am Not harsh at all Matt, non have impressed, is Harrison any better than Clarke? who should be given a chance ahead of him imo.

Antonsson, like Antenuci, good players at the club at the wrong time being asked to play out of position by shite managers.
I think Antennuci would thrive under Belisa and his system.
Afternoon Gessa, I think Brown will be a hit, once he is fit.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am I think we all believed last year that the squad we had, underachieved based on their ability.

IMHO we always had the players to compete at the sharp end of the league, but without the necessary leadership to instill in them the belief and discipline to do so. We proved at the front end of the year that we had the ability to rip teams apart, but always appeared to lack the fitness. This told after around 10 games or so.

As for the loan signings, for me, Baker has looked decent when he has played for us, getting himself into good positions. Harrison has shown flashes of the player he can be but also been frustrating as well. Definitely looked better on the left last week when he switched there with Alioski moving to left wing back (if Douglas is out of the next game, and Hernandez isn't fit to return). I would then move Clarke onto the right wing.

As for Blackman, jury is out. He hasn't looked any better the BPF so for me BPF stays as i would rather us develop our own than someone else's.

Obviously nobody has seen anything of Brown as he is injured, but if (and admittedly it is a big IF) he comes back to us with the form he has shown in previous years then he will be a huge asset.
Afternoon Hereford, I would say the loanees have 'potential' but imo are not first team material apart from Harrison, who is certainly not worth the hype he was given (or his 51k a week wage packet).

I'd love to see Shackleton at right back, Pearce at left back and Clarke on the right wing.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 am Good afternoon Matt

I'll be one of them :scar1

No your not being harsh Matt

NO! simple fact is Antonsson wasn't up to championship level, a type of player who fits in well at a club like Malmo
Afternoon Leon, I wonder how much of the wages we are paying for the loanees?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am Curious signings all three. I thought BPF showed enough last season to warrant further looks and behind him we had a couple of kids who look promising too. We've since added a couple more so I guess we needed a back up with some Champ. experience. Though I do think he (Blackman) was bought here as a starter, no way he agrees to that loan to sit on the bench..

Harrison is raw, has a decent ceiling but is playing too slow for me at the moment and up to now a little to one footed to be truly effective in the Champ.

Baker has flashed, and Brown we're not paying for other than what it's costing us to re-hab him

I still don't what the point in loans is unless you're a poor lower league club or in depth difficulties
Afternoon Faaip, BPF has gone from strength to strength this season - fair play to the lad, but I imagined we were bringing in a stronger keeper, and I thought Blackman was in the bracket. He played the majority of the season between the stix for the blunts last term and had raving reviews - a year on, you'd have thought he would have progressed more.

Huffer showed in pre season he is not ready yet, though Leeds do have a Polish keeper they are excited about, though I can't remember his name.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Good afternoon all,

Firstly, I cant believe the Harrison wage. In my view as you cant't be sure how committed loan players are to the cause then they HAVE to be exceptional. NOT fringe or fill in players. If the player isnt good enough for a first team place then don't splash out and promote the U23/Youth players.
The BPF situation was/is fair play to take a loan player on. BUT fair play to the lad he has put in the extra training to better his game and deserves his chance
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm Afternoon Faaip, BPF has gone from strength to strength this season - fair play to the lad, but I imagined we were bringing in a stronger keeper, and I thought Blackman was in the bracket. He played the majority of the season between the stix for the blunts last term and had raving reviews - a year on, you'd have thought he would have progressed more.

Huffer showed in pre season he is not ready yet, though Leeds do have a Polish keeper they are excited about, though I can't remember his name.
Will Huffer, Harrison Male, Kamil Miazek and Dimitar Shaytanov are currently 4 interesting keepers on our books
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I feel like the lone voice crying out in the wilderness, but...........

I see BPF improving visibly with almost every game. Still extremely young for a keeper. Believe his up side is tremendous and if we stick with him we will be rewarded greatly.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Afternoon Everyone,

On the whole the loan players have fallen short of our and I expect Bielsa's expectations. I don't think any of them would have signed if they were expecting a season of warming the bench but thankfully those who were here last season have stepped up to the plate and for the most part have delivered the goods.
It's up to them to take their chance when they get it. The next two and a half months will give MB a clearer indication if additions are need to the squad.

Antonsson looked the part when he first signed for us but never lived up to expectations.
He didn't hardly set the world alight in League 1 either.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
hector

Post by hector »

John in Louisiana wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 pm I feel like the lone voice crying out in the wilderness, but...........

I see BPF improving visibly with almost every game. Still extremely young for a keeper. Believe his up side is tremendous and if we stick with him we will be rewarded greatly.
I quietly agree with you John :tup:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Been saying he's our number one locked in since last season
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not being harsh at all, the Brown loan is pointless and could have just been done in January, Baker and Blackman were only ever going to be squad fillers and Harrison has talent but looks less useful then our own teenage winger so yeah.

The squad from last seaosn are playing very well, i do doubt they can keep it up, coaching doesnt make up for talent in the end, im doubtful all the coaching in the world can keep average talents like Cooper, Dallas, Berardi etc playing at this standard.

No, we didnt, Antenucci, we did.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom