What are you doing today ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: What are you doing today ?

Post by 1964white » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:04 pm

gessa wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:47 pm
Just back from a walk down the Caledonian canal, had sun, rain, strong wind a heavy hailstorm and snow then back to sunshine and that was just the first mile and a half, you have to love Scotland.

Wedding anniversary today so out for a nice meal at the local hotel tonight. Sampled some of the dishes off the menu on Tuesday night and it was delicious, then we had the added bonus that we didn't know about but they are doung 2 for 1 on mains throughout February.
Hope both of you are enjoying a delicious meal to celebrate your special day :balloon:

Happy anniversary mate

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:41 pm
your 'Interrail' sounds like something far more interesting because of the company you'd probably have been keeping.
I set off with a friend, and then she went home after about four days, so I carried on on my own. It was one of the best things I've ever done, meeting different people every day, and hanging out in weird places. I had no confidence at all before that, but I became fearless, at least for a while.

Maybe the odd anecdote might pass the time when we're all bored, after we've finished celebrating promotion.
In football, nothing is true, nothing is false.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:12 pm

1964white wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:04 pm
Hope both of you are enjoying a delicious meal to celebrate your special day :balloon:

Happy anniversary mate
Thanks mate, lovely evening and an excellent meal, now for some Whisky to finish the night off.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 pm

rab_rant

Especially when drunk and off balance.
There is that, but I get the impression Sara would be capable, especially in the unlikely event that it could be established as an Olympic event - why is it we get all the boring events and none of the 'Woohoo' ones.

Sorry Hector I borrowed your call sign.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:36 am

Borrow away old bean...... the more the merrier
I'm often accused of acting like I don't care

It's not an act!!

:) :)

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:16 am

SaraM wrote:

I set off with a friend, and then she went home after about four days, so I carried on on my own. It was one of the best things I've ever done, meeting different people every day, and hanging out in weird places. I had no confidence at all before that, but I became fearless, at least for a while.

Maybe the odd anecdote might pass the time when we're all bored, after we've finished celebrating promotion.
Apologies - I missed your post before I posted mine - our 28-year old son Michael almost needs us to let him do that voyage of discovery. I hate that we've over-protected and managed him through our fear of his future, sometimes forgetting that, every time we've put him under pressure (unwittingly or not), he has grown. We really do need somehow to put a safety net in place, but give him more freedom to let him find himself, and that's the reason we're going to move back to England.

We're hoping to get our affairs completed, sell the house and come back to blighty, but we have a few things to take care of first. The one thing certain about living over there is that he'll have public transport as well as a cell phone. Perhaps the hardest thing we'll ever have to do is watch him leave on a train to somewhere and hope he will have the wherewithal to find his way back through hitherto-unforeseen circumstances. He will almost certainly exceed our original expectations, but there will be a few hiccoughs along the way.

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:41 am

I hope the move goes well for you, Norm.

It's difficult to find the right balance between being protective and letting someone make their own mistakes, but I can't help feeling we're too restrictive of young people's freedom these days.

As I've hinted, I had a weird mixture of very old fashioned values and a carte blanche to do what I wanted. It was always seen as my responsibility if I messed up. I think I've benefited from that, overall, and it's the line I took as a step parent, and teaching and working with SEN kids. They will always surprise you if you give them the freedom to be themselves.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 am

Had a Sparrow Hawk in the garden today, bought down a pigeon and proceeded to have lunch for well over an hour on our back lawn...Amazing to watch a raptor like that at work close up...feathers everywhere.....which coincidentally used to be my screen name
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious...

....but I am...

....so that's how it comes out

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 am

faaip wrote:Had a Sparrow Hawk in the garden today, bought down a pigeon and proceeded to have lunch for well over an hour on our back lawn...Amazing to watch a raptor like that at work close up...feathers everywhere.....which coincidentally used to be my screen name
Feathers everywhere is indeed a strange screen name.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 pm

SaraM wrote:
I hope the move goes well for you, Norm.

It's difficult to find the right balance between being protective and letting someone make their own mistakes, but I can't help feeling we're too restrictive of young people's freedom these days.

As I've hinted, I had a weird mixture of very old fashioned values and a carte blanche to do what I wanted. It was always seen as my responsibility if I messed up. I think I've benefited from that, overall, and it's the line I took as a step parent, and teaching and working with SEN kids. They will always surprise you if you give them the freedom to be themselves.
Thanks from both of us Sara. I think Michael will turn out better than we ever dared hope in the early days. He's the only child I have who likes trains (like me, but I made a career out of it) - I used to take him to Doncaster station once or twice a week when we were over on vacation - he always stood on platform 4 not far from the buffet, but he did grow to like different locations too and I was pleased with his progress. The thing is, there's nothing for him here, no public transport, no one will give him a job even as a volunteer, and he's worth that and more, with his intelligence and acumen showing through more and more. He actually corrected his social worker a month or so ago when she mentioned an archeologist in connection with dinosaur bones, "no, you mean a paleontologist." We about fell off our chairs trying to restrain our mirth. With praise but not overdoing it he is developing a sense of humour and, I'm not sure yet, but I think a touch of sarcasm - which is at once the best and worst of things. Having the ability elevates him but unthinking usage to someone helping him could defeat the object.

Anyway, I've been going to post this for 2 hours and kept getting distracted, so here goes. TTFN

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 pm

Humour is the great leveller, isn't it. I'm glad you can enjoy Michael's humour and intelligence. I've certainly shared many hilarious moments with students. The interest in trains reminds me of a lad I worked with who was obsessed by buses; could quote you all the timetables, routes, makes and models. He was discouraged from this by his school, so it became our guilty secret when I saw him. I did find it mega boring too, so it became a huge joke. Anyway, cut a long story short, he did eventually fulfill his dream of becoming a bus driver, against anyone's expectations of his ability to do so. I'm not taking credit for it, but it was wonderful to see and be a part of. Ironically, after several years in the job, he now finds buses quite boring too.

rab_rant
Manager
Manager

Post by rab_rant » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:43 am

SaraM wrote:Humour is the great leveller, isn't it. I'm glad you can enjoy Michael's humour and intelligence. I've certainly shared many hilarious moments with students. The interest in trains reminds me of a lad I worked with who was obsessed by buses; could quote you all the timetables, routes, makes and models. He was discouraged from this by his school, so it became our guilty secret when I saw him. I did find it mega boring too, so it became a huge joke. Anyway, cut a long story short, he did eventually fulfill his dream of becoming a bus driver, against anyone's expectations of his ability to do so. I'm not taking credit for it, but it was wonderful to see and be a part of. Ironically, after several years in the job, he now finds buses quite boring too.
It's made my day that has.
https://youtu.be/heh-ZMyzdig

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:25 pm

😂

Stan
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Stan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:52 pm

faaip wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 am
Had a Sparrow Hawk in the garden today, bought down a pigeon and proceeded to have lunch for well over an hour on our back lawn...Amazing to watch a raptor like that at work close up...feathers everywhere.....which coincidentally used to be my screen name
They are ferocious given their modest size. We used to have a regular visitor at our previous house which used the buildings on the steer to disorientate its prey. It would then devour it meal on the lawn looking at us watching through the window as if to say "what you looking at".

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:56 pm

Wonderful birds, fairly hard to spot here unlike their raptor cousins the red kite which are over our house every day

....but I am...

Overman
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Overman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:03 pm

Went for a walk along a local Jungle trail and spent some time chatting with some Indonesia folk, who have set up home in there. Managed to a see a couple of monitor lizards along the way.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:53 pm

I liked Blakey's take - thanks Rab, used to watch that series years ago in England. Corny but had a certain juvenile attraction, a bit likes little boys and farts.

This may be disgusting to some but, at about 12, I was at my Grammar School (working class entry from the 11-plus if anyone remembers that) and a group of us had a farting contest in the big open loo (boys-only school), until 1 of the lads quickly developed an unfortunate sphincter. I'll not elaborate but the rest of us were damned near paralytic with laughter. For the rest of the day, all one of us had to do was make a slight noise (as you do) and we were off again, helpless. Eventually the form master sent us all to the headmaster and we each received 2 strokes of the cane, which we richly deserved tbh.

Little boys never grow up - soixante-quinze and still treize when it comes to smut.

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:57 pm

Just thinking that I can always be relied upon to lower things - tone, standards, whatever - I'm your man. :tup:

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Germans love their toilet humour ..it's a thing I reckon and fair enough. South Park, imo, lived by that sort of humour. My kind of humour is more along the lines of the guy that spouted my signature originally

....but I am...

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:16 am

Self-isolating along Bridlington seafront as it was deserted :lol: to be honest it was 8.30am & there were quite a few dog-walkers with their dogs having a great time on the beach :dog: crumpets/scones & coffee at our favourite self-isolated cafe at ten-o'clock.

Chiropractors this afternoon in Beverley for more muscle pressing & manipulation :)

Advertisment