Patrick Bamford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by dezzy »

Looks like Bamfords miss last night the defender got a toe to it before it got to paddy, so not as horrific as first feared, let’s hope he ups his game for Saturday and bags a goal
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

perhaps he does have his uses:

Leeds' minutes per goal conceded WITH Patrick Bamford on the pitch: 134
Leeds' minutes per goal conceded WITHOUT Patrick Bamford on the pitch: 47
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:23 pm perhaps he does have his uses:
He could be a great decoy if we got a stricker on the pitch
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

it's just starting to get a bit embarrassing now the number of chances that he's missing, both for him and the club - just doesn't really look like scoring even when presented with a golden opportunity, confidence must be gone
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

danhirons wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:17 pm it's just starting to get a bit embarrassing now the number of chances that he's missing, both for him and the club - just doesn't really look like scoring even when presented with a golden opportunity, confidence must be gone
Most players when out of form get dropped/rested, I actually feel for him. He’s trying hard, playing well but seems to be consumed by self doubt in front of goal. Is he trying to be too calm? Something is really off with his shooting
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Given the stats above we are less likely to concede with him in the team. It's a negative stat though, ie it is about goals conceded. If we actually score more when he's in the team as well then there's every reason to keep him in. My argument is that Bielsa hasn't found an alternative to this problem which has hung over us for nearly 2 years. If we had others who chipped in regularly with goals it would not be an issue but no one does which is why it comes back to Bamford .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

dezzy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:46 pm Most players when out of form get dropped/rested, I actually feel for him. He’s trying hard, playing well but seems to be consumed by self doubt in front of goal. Is he trying to be too calm? Something is really off with his shooting
true - not even an out and out striker on the bench yesterday to replace him, as you say something is off with him - would have though the two at QPR would have helped a lot, but doesn't seem to have made any difference!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Is Patrick Bamford As Bad As People Say? - A Deep Dive

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Is Patrick Bamford As Bad As People Say? - A Deep Dive

Post by The Subhuman »

I'll, of course, pass on any comment and refrain from watching the vid
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:03 pm I'll, of course, pass on any comment and refrain from watching the vid
You should watch it Faaip

Benjamin makes some good points, he has a superb knowledge of championship football
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's ok, never yet got to the end of one of his vids. Even if I watch I won't be able to comment so not really worth watching
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

The answer is yes ........... he has all the qualities to be a top striker, though I feel he’s not very quick. On his day (when he can be arsed) he can be a very good championship striker but he definitely isn’t a top striker which Leeds need and deserve.

All those that say he doesn’t score lots of goals because of all the hard work he does for the team, I’ll point you to the videos of him missing open goals, one on ones with the keeper and even an open goal while he’s stood on the goal line, also see Chris Woods as he worked hard for the team and still managed to score 44 goals in 88 appearances

I wish him all the best for next season and hopefully his new club gets the best out of him.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Interesting that you mention Chris Wood. His first season at Leeds he scored 13 goals in 36 matches.

With Bamford's last season being injury hit this is basically his first full season at Leeds - his record 13 goals in 36 matches.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

Interesting that you mention Chris Wood. His first season at Leeds he scored 13 goals in 36 matches.

With Bamford's last season being injury hit this is basically his first full season at Leeds - his record 13 goals in 36 matches
Very interesting - a lot of people now praise Wood but I remember that first season. IIRC a few rumbles were heard from some who thought he wasn't that good at first, but he later proved himself good enough for Dyche to get his timing right and there's nothing to say Bamford wouldn't similarly improve if given the chance. However, whatever initial criticism Wood may have had, I'm sure he never had the level of criticism Bamford has had, whether justified or not. That could be the thing that prevents Bamford actually being able to recover whatever talent he has whilst at Leeds - he may just have to move in order for that to happen, unless Bielsa can work the oracle.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Bamford should easily have 20 championship goals so far this season. He doesn’t, he has missed countless chances and his stats are shocking.
But when we do get promoted, he will have played a massive role in our promotion and has put in many good performances. But a striker is judged on their goals and he falls down massively there. A good player for us this year, has lots to work on, wouldn’t mind him being our third striker in the premiership
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

dezzy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:25 am Bamford should easily have 20 championship goals so far this season. He doesn’t, he has missed countless chances and his stats are shocking.
But when we do get promoted, he will have played a massive role in our promotion and has put in many good performances. But a striker is judged on their goals and he falls down massively there. A good player for us this year, has lots to work on, wouldn’t mind him being our third striker in the premiership
Great post. PB should have been into the 20 goals but equally in a small sample size of a season stats can be schewed a bit. Bamford has had at least a couple of very marginal offside goals disallowed, hit the woodwork several times and had a couple of great saves. Admittedly he has missed some good chances, all strikers do, but if even 3 or 4 more shots had gone in and his record would look ok.

Like you say though his workrate up front leading the high press has been a major cog in the Bielsa machine and with many strikers if they don't score you get absolutely nothing from them in a match.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I've been watching a few of these games Sky showed on Sunday. He certainly is a workhorse, also, he's laid on some superb balls for others to score. I do think he's a tad slow when trying to get on the end of a pass to score. maybe it's the fast way we play end to end that when he's done his bit for the team in midfield he then can't quite catch up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 pm I've been watching a few of these games Sky showed on Sunday. He certainly is a workhorse, also, he's laid on some superb balls for others to score. I do think he's a tad slow when trying to get on the end of a pass to score. maybe it's the fast way we play end to end that when he's done his bit for the team in midfield he then can't quite catch up.
Paddy is very useful at defensive corners, he often wins headers at the near post, three or four a game
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

Leeds are creating (or were) many more chances for bamford than they were for wood. so all things being equal bamford should be scoring more goals than wood ever got
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 pm Leeds are creating (or were) many more chances for bamford than they were for wood. so all things being equal bamford should be scoring more goals than wood ever got
Agree, his goal scoring this year has been indefensible.