England/Southgate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

England/Southgate

Post by 1964white »

Lost their last three games

Southgate bemoaning the fact their three defeats have come against quality opposition

Welcome to world football Gareth :shock:

He wasn't moaning when we were beating the minnows of world football after we had drawn & beat poor international sides in the qualifiers & the actual World cup tournament itself
gessa

Re: England/Sothgate

Post by gessa »

When you look at the players at his disposal, then compare them to the likes of Spain, France and Belguim then we will struggle, can't think of one player in the England squad that would get in any of those teams. I blame the premier league and teams like Chelsea for the international demise, it's they who buy up all the young talent and let then fester, then loan them out to lower league teams, where they won't get anywhere near the level of coaching or opposition they need to progress, so mostly they stagnate.

I thought he was a poor appointment but I honestly think he is doing a good job, I like the fact he picks players on form not reputation, all's not well with England being a force but there are other places than Southgate to be throwing the blame.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:10 am When you look at the players at his disposal, then compare them to the likes of Spain, France and Belguim then we will struggle, can't think of one player in the England squad that would get in any of those teams. I blame the premier league and teams like Chelsea for the international demise, it's they who buy up all the young talent and let then fester, then loan them out to lower league teams, where they won't get anywhere near the level of coaching or opposition they need to progress, so mostly they stagnate.

I thought he was a poor appointment but I honestly think he is doing a good job, I like the fact he picks players on form not reputation, all's not well with England being a force but there are other places than Southgate to be throwing the blame.
Agree mate Southgate is doing a decent job with the players at his disposal & he has huge respect from them too. Don't get me wrong Ges I like the fella it was just is comment about playing quality teams that made me react, my point was proven in the WC when we played the likes of Belgium & Croatia when some England fans thought we'd win the trophy

Sky, FIFA, FA & the Premiership clubs have a lot to answer to for the demise of British football at international level :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:43 am Agree mate Southgate is doing a decent job with the players at his disposal & he has huge respect from them too. Don't get me wrong Ges I like the fella it was just is comment about playing quality teams that made me react, my point was proven in the WC when we played the likes of Belgium & Croatia when some England fans thought we'd win the trophy

Sky, FIFA, FA & the Premiership clubs have a lot to answer to for the demise of British football at international level :tup:
But he's right mate, they are quality teams, people bemoan the fact he got the luck of the draw but it's not his fault the likes of Germany, who we could have played got knocked out.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: England/Southgate

Post by Norm »

gessa » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:10 am

When you look at the players at his disposal, then compare them to the likes of Spain, France and Belguim then we will struggle, can't think of one player in the England squad that would get in any of those teams. I blame the premier league and teams like Chelsea for the international demise, it's they who buy up all the young talent and let then fester, then loan them out to lower league teams, where they won't get anywhere near the level of coaching or opposition they need to progress, so mostly they stagnate.

100% ges
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Puts Saturday into perspective to see Spain beat Croatia 6-0 tonight.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 pm Puts Saturday into perspective to see Spain beat Croatia 6-0 tonight.
Hell of victory for the Spaniards after their disappointment in the World Cup

Class will prevail & they'll come back with a vengeance in the 2020 Euros
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Spanish coaching is light years ahead of English coaching - they will always have a conveyor belt of players that are comfortable on the ball no matter what position they play.