The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 14th Aug)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 14th Aug)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Jamal Blackman, Jamie Shackleton, Tom Pearce, Lewis Baker, Tyler Roberts and Jack Harrison are all expected to start this evening against Bolton in the first round of the Carabao Cup.

With this amount of talent, will Bolton be wandering whats hit them?

According to the press, Sheffield United have beaten Leeds United to the signing of Brighton midfielder Oliver Norwood with the Northern Ireland international ungoing a medical yesterday

The Blades have agreed a deal to sign Norwood on loan until January with the deal set to become permanent for £2million when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.

I would doubt Leeds are too bothered tbh.

Leeds are favourites to top the league!!!

Bet365 are offering odds of 5/1 for Leeds to finish the 2018/19 season as favourites. Stoke and Boro are joint second at 13/5 with West Brom 15/2.

Leeds are also the shotest odds to be promoted this season. 15/8, just shy of 2/1 is the going rate. Stoke are narrowly behind.

For Leeds to finish in the top 6 is 8/13.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 14th Aug)

Post by lufc1304 »

Morning Matt,

Not too bothered about the cup, tbh, but hope to see whatever team MB puts out employing the same style as the first XI. I think that should probably be enough to see off Bolton, but they've started well and will be up for it.

Also not bothered about Norwood (despite the fact that he's from Norn Iron), bang average in my view.

We were 12s before a ball was kicked, we've shortened dramatically. Though I don't ever bet on or against Leeds, feel a bit superstitious about doing so!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Morning all,

Its all a bit strange really as we had 17 points from 7 games a 2 point lead last year...thrashing all and sundry and not finishing in the top half!
I think we were all excited in the same way and it was the TC revolution rather than Bielsa.
I think i will keep my money in my pants for the time being!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am Morning all,

Its all a bit strange really as we had 17 points from 7 games a 2 point lead last year...thrashing all and sundry and not finishing in the top half!
I think we were all excited in the same way and it was the TC revolution rather than Bielsa.
Truth is we didn't thrash all and sundry

We thrashed one of the poorest championship teams I've seen Burton 5-0 who were relegated

We comfortably beat Sunderland 2-0 who struggled to win games & finished rock bottom

We also comfortably beat a poor Forest side 2-0 who finished 17th in the championship

After that it all went downhill with the likes of Millwall, Cardiff & Sheff Wed bullying & battering us into submission, yes we won a few games but we rarely looked convincing
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I agree with Dalton - last season we were all very excited after the start we made but the key to this side will be how they respond when they lose a match. Last season we never really recovered after the Millwall defeat and after looking invincible at times prior to that we suddenly looked like a team that could be bullied and beaten. People are quick to forget the quality of the wins v Sunderland, Forest and Burton. At the points we dismantled Sunderland and Forest they were being tipped as promotion contenders. The Burton win gave me huge false hope as it looked like we were not only capable of beating teams on the counter attack but also of ruthlessly cutting through a team that had come to defend. Lasogga looked amazing and likewise a few players, such as O'Kane had started the season well. Not trying to bring everyone down but we are just 2 games into a very long season and as we saw last year when the grass was green and the weather was nice that we looked a good side.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

I was ever so slightly taking the p*ss with the "thrashing" it was from the over excitable press point of view.
I dont think any true fan was under any illusion that we didnt have a squad to really go the distance and our formation wasn't realling tested yet after a few games.
This season is no exception. Can we get bullied again like last year? Can we dismantled teams who park the bus and how do we play when conceding early.
And is Cooper going to get sent off twice in the first half again!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am Good Morning Everyone
Jamal Blackman, Jamie Shackleton, Tom Pearce, Lewis Baker, Tyler Roberts and Jack Harrison are all expected to start this evening against Bolton in the first round of the Carabao Cup.
With this amount of talent, will Bolton be wandering whats hit them?
Good morning Matt & everyone

All six players above I've predicted to start tonight
Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am According to the press, Sheffield United have beaten Leeds United to the signing of Brighton midfielder Oliver Norwood with the Northern Ireland international ungoing a medical yesterday

The Blades have agreed a deal to sign Norwood on loan until January with the deal set to become permanent for £2million when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
I would doubt Leeds are too bothered tbh
Not bothered tbh
Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am Leeds are favourites to top the league!!!
Bet365 are offering odds of 5/1 for Leeds to finish the 2018/19 season as favourites. Stoke and Boro are joint second at 13/5 with West Brom 15/2.
Leeds are also the shotest odds to be promoted this season. 15/8, just shy of 2/1 is the going rate. Stoke are narrowly behind.
For Leeds to finish in the top 6 is 8/13.
Not at all surprised the way we have performed & thrashed two play-off hopefuls
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dalton wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:03 am I was ever so slightly taking the p*ss with the "thrashing" it was from the over excitable press point of view.
I dont think any true fan was under any illusion that we didnt have a squad to really go the distance and our formation wasn't realling tested yet after a few games.
This season is no exception. Can we get bullied again like last year? Can we dismantled teams who park the bus and how do we play when conceding early.
And is Cooper going to get sent off twice in the first half again!
I reckon & hope the meticulous Bielsa will have a plan to combat the bullying tactics of the usual suspects. As for parking the bus it's always difficult to play these type of teams.
Bielsa seems to have got a grip of the indiscipline of certain players, hopefully, the likes of Cooper, Berardi, Saiz & others behave themselves this season

Rotherham on Saturday & Millwall away in mid-September will be telling Dalton
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

The difference as I see it is that when things started going wrong last season the quality of possible replacements in the squad was poor. Just looking at the bench you can see how much stronger we are and that's without Forshaw and Dallas. Plus some of the U23's have another year's hair on their balls and look ready to step up when called on. If we get one or two more quality loan signings we will be in good shape.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:13 am Morning Matt,

Not too bothered about the cup, tbh, but hope to see whatever team MB puts out employing the same style as the first XI. I think that should probably be enough to see off Bolton, but they've started well and will be up for it.

Also not bothered about Norwood (despite the fact that he's from Norn Iron), bang average in my view.

We were 12s before a ball was kicked, we've shortened dramatically. Though I don't ever bet on or against Leeds, feel a bit superstitious about doing so!
Morning 1304, I agree about Norwood, squad player at best. I'd like to beat Bolton tonight, but a long Cup run is an unnecessary distraction!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am I agree with Dalton - last season we were all very excited after the start we made but the key to this side will be how they respond when they lose a match. Last season we never really recovered after the Millwall defeat and after looking invincible at times prior to that we suddenly looked like a team that could be bullied and beaten. People are quick to forget the quality of the wins v Sunderland, Forest and Burton. At the points we dismantled Sunderland and Forest they were being tipped as promotion contenders. The Burton win gave me huge false hope as it looked like we were not only capable of beating teams on the counter attack but also of ruthlessly cutting through a team that had come to defend. Lasogga looked amazing and likewise a few players, such as O'Kane had started the season well. Not trying to bring everyone down but we are just 2 games into a very long season and as we saw last year when the grass was green and the weather was nice that we looked a good side.
I wasn't...I was warning against the good start, it didn't feel right. TBF thought TC was a dickhead from day one so that may have had something to do with it.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Teams will try to figure us out though so lets not be expecting 3/4 goal wins weekly. We may have to grind some results out ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Dalton wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am Morning all,

Morning Dalton, we are a completely different animal from this time last season., our movement off the ball, fitness and a World class coach.

One of the biggest things for me is balance.

Ayling on the right and Douglas on the left complement each other really well. Phillips role is a crucial one mopping up in front of the defence.

Hernandez' vision, Saiz' surging runs and Klich's pin point passes will be crucial...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am I wasn't...I was warning against the good start, it didn't feel right. TBF thought TC was a dickhead from day one so that may have had something to do with it.
When judging how a team will perform over the season I always look at the manager's credentials, we were doomed from day one last season

Bielsa (Leeds)
Pulis (Boro)
Rowett (Stoke)
Karanka (Forest)

Then you have those who will do well on limited funds at the less fashionable clubs

Neil (Preston)
Smith (Brentford)
Harris (Millwall)

After the above seven there isn't a lot to rave about!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am I agree with Dalton - last season we were all very excited after the start we made but the key to this side will be how they respond when they lose a match. Last season we never really recovered after the Millwall defeat and after looking invincible at times prior to that we suddenly looked like a team that could be bullied and beaten. People are quick to forget the quality of the wins v Sunderland, Forest and Burton. At the points we dismantled Sunderland and Forest they were being tipped as promotion contenders. The Burton win gave me huge false hope as it looked like we were not only capable of beating teams on the counter attack but also of ruthlessly cutting through a team that had come to defend. Lasogga looked amazing and likewise a few players, such as O'Kane had started the season well. Not trying to bring everyone down but we are just 2 games into a very long season and as we saw last year when the grass was green and the weather was nice that we looked a good side.
Morning Weasel, completely agree by what you said about us never recovering from getting bullied off the park by Millwall.

I recall Christiensen saying he was trying to adapt a plan B but would take the squad time before it could be implemented. We also had glaring frailties at left back, between the sticks and defensive midfield.

These area's have been addressed.

I'd be amazed if we don't finish top 5.

My only concern is the Championship is very unforgiving, and I'm wondering whether 22 players is enough.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 am Good morning Matt & everyone

All six players above I've predicted to start tonight

Not bothered tbh

Not at all surprised the way we have performed & thrashed two play-off hopefuls
Morning Leon, the two performances we have seen in my opinion were our best displays in over a decade. Yes, we started well last season, but we have reinforced our frailties, become fitter, and we have a much better balance too.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am The difference as I see it is that when things started going wrong last season the quality of possible replacements in the squad was poor. Just looking at the bench you can see how much stronger we are and that's without Forshaw and Dallas. Plus some of the U23's have another year's hair on their balls and look ready to step up when called on. If we get one or two more quality loan signings we will be in good shape.
Morning Chilli, 100 percent pal, though with Klich playing out of his skin, it will be hard for Forshaw to break back in to the starting eleven.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am Teams will try to figure us out though so lets not be expecting 3/4 goal wins weekly. We may have to grind some results out ...
Morning Faaip, absolutely pal. How will the players react to a cold Wednesday night fixture against lets say QPR where you have to grind out a 1-0 win?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 am How will the players react to a cold Wednesday night fixture against lets say QPR where you have to grind out a 1-0 win?
That we do not know. Don't forget that even after some bad results the team still showed class at times. The away win at Bristol when we blitzed them after a bad run of form, the over-running of a traditional bogey side in Barnsley and the dismantling of Monk's Boro side. This showed that despite the frailties our players showed they were capable of producing great really good performances even after the initial good start had faded into the recesses of our memories. The point I am making is that we have seen these players produce decent performances at times what we have yet to see is them do it consistently and that goes for this season too and 2 performances are still just that. The Derby performance was great but how different would it have been if Derby had taken their chance in the 3rd minute and gone in front? So far a lot of things have gone our way at crucial times.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am Morning Chilli, 100 percent pal, though with Klich playing out of his skin, it will be hard for Forshaw to break back in to the starting eleven.
Absolutely EB1, if the team, and Klich in particular are playing so well that a player of Forshaw's quality can't get in when he is fully fit then things can only be good.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden