Bailey Peacock-Farrell

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Bailey Peacock-Farrell

Post by whiteswan »

Switched the game on somewhere 70 odd minutes....made a couple of good saves. Not sure what happened before and what kind of game he had.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The goal conceded was reminiscent of many last year where he just didn't seem to get to shots he should have. The Estonia player passed the ball into the next from the free kick and BPF went down slower than the Titanic. It was woeful keeping and like Cjay says he really does have a problem from long range shots - reflex stuff not bad at but too many weaknesses in his game that he needs to work on but not in our first team.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

leic white 63 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:40 am He's not good enough yet. if he wants to leave than he's a fool . he'll never go to a better or bigger club than leeds . no better place to learn his trade at the moment.
If he wants to keep playing at international level he needs to start somewhere. It's fair enough, plus how long would he need to learn his trade ..Two three years ..and how much do you learn sitting on a bench not playing matches?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Would have been an outstanding save had he got there though, curls low round the wall, so would have seen it late then is still going wide 4/5 yards out before curling in almost off the post ...I'm only talking about that goal not others but he gets a bad rap imo.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

He has 20 yards to see it, 20 yards with nothing in his line of vision, no players that could deflect it, he could dive from his starting position and get to it but he has a weird way of moving in which he is almost crumbling to the floor before he dives so he doesn't get any real spring on his dive. It just isn't right and is a huge flaw and has happened too many times for it just be a one off or a good shot.

As you say it does bend back in but it is like BPF isn't even going to cover the shot (dive towards the post to cover the shot just to make sure) and then realises too late that it is going in and hasn't set himself properly to dive.

He just doesn't look right as a keeper.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Pretty pathetic effort.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I'm a Bailey fan, but now beginning to hope the lad moves on and becomes a real success for some other team. Sick and tired of all the flack this young keeper gets from Leeds Utd supporters. He was thrown into a massive (expectant) Leeds Utd team at the beginning of last season, with no first team experience whatsoever. He didn't ask for that...didn't expect it. He did his best.....and didn't do too bad actually. Kiko the clown came in....and hey, not the great saviour between the sticks we expected. The season is over, now BPF is the international goalie for Ireland.....they win, and still....still...his home club supporters want to have a go.....Bailey, go and find yourself another club where the supporters get behind you. Young man, I wish you all the success in the world.....go on and prove your doubters (not me) wrong.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:41 pm Pretty pathetic effort.
Do you want to mention the good saves he made? :duno:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Don't get me wrong Whiteswan I would love BPF to be a fantastic keeper for us but he is repeating the same mistakes and that is a huge worry. Keepers usually don't peak till mid to late 20s as it is far different to outfield players due to the amount of time they are simply stood still. BPF might become a good keeper but he is years away from that happening and we can't afford to be the club where he develops and makes continual mistakes (plus the boo boys would destroy him). Like you say he was thrown in with precious little experience (a horror loan at York) and he needs to get that experience and learn.

Additionally he is not a Bielsa type keeper as he is rooted on his line too often. I made the comparison with Joe Hart at Man City, who was England no.1 when Pep Guardiola took over. PG knew Hart wasn't what he needed and ruthlessly discarded him (as he did with Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero initially). He knew Hart couldn't do the sweeper role.

The sweeper role, as a keeper, is incredibly hard and nowhere near as easy as people seem to think it is. You have a ball played over the top and you have to work out
a) how fast the ball is travelling and if it bounces will it bounce and carry on at the same speed, get faster (if it has any top spin on it) or slow down (if it has back spin on it)
b) how fast the opposition striker is coming towards the ball and is the striker about to accelerate
c) how fast you can get to the ball as it approaches you, and will you get there before the striker

it is like the train travelling at x miles per hour etc and as a keeper if you get it wrong you will get run over. Whilst many tried to blame Casillas for the opening Derby goal we should really be amazed at how well he judged the situation as he had got to the ball before the Derby player and was about to leather it clear when Cooper intervened. It is easy for a keeper to get to the ball first when it is completely in his favour and he will get there 5 seconds before the striker but Casillas's judgement against Derby was absolutely spot on to get there a second or two before the Derby striker.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

"Kiko Casilla should have one of those shock collars that prevents dogs from running out of the garden onto the road."

Best chirp I have come across so far, it is just a pity we will probably be reading a few more next season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ash »

BPF is not good enough to be number 1. He needs to get game time elswhere, either out on loan or sold on. The question still needs to be answered as to what we are doing about our apparent weakness in this position.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:20 am Do you want to mention the good saves he made? :duno:
Not really as they are expected, you live and die by the balls up in professional sport unfortunately.

I think you misunderstood the point was this happened to him regularly from long range. Makes no difference to me how old or whether through the academy.
Do you think he is good enough not potentially good enough I might add, which I think he probably could be.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:11 am I'm a Bailey fan, but now beginning to hope the lad moves on and becomes a real success for some other team. Sick and tired of all the flack this young keeper gets from Leeds Utd supporters. He was thrown into a massive (expectant) Leeds Utd team at the beginning of last season, with no first team experience whatsoever. He didn't ask for that...didn't expect it. He did his best.....and didn't do too bad actually. Kiko the clown came in....and hey, not the great saviour between the sticks we expected. The season is over, now BPF is the international goalie for Ireland.....they win, and still....still...his home club supporters want to have a go.....Bailey, go and find yourself another club where the supporters get behind you. Young man, I wish you all the success in the world.....go on and prove your doubters (not me) wrong.
Funny thing is Swanny I think pride is getting in the way of some Leeds fans just admitting that Kiko wasn't the January upgrade that was wished for.
And the frustration is being deflected elsewhere.

Some for Kiko related fun here: Just to remind us of what we might be missing if we move him on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MypXAIxJ9kw

And here, 1.30 is a classic sweeper keeper move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXSCWCuI6eA

Bailey I hope you get a contract somewhere where you will be allowed to grow. :tup:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

:shock: Blimey Ian I don't know what to say after watching that lot! It would be hilarious if he wasn't our goalkeeper. :shock:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Bizarre - a 3 minute clip of goals conceded by our keeper for another team and only 1 goal was by an error by him - where he passes to the opposition player. As for the rest those are just shots that as a keeper sometimes you save sometimes they go in especially when you are spreading yourself - none were errors. Put together a series of 'highlights' of any keepers and guess what keepers concede goals.

Really can't understand why people are knocking him, oh yeah it's cos he is on a decent wage. What do people expect him to be - he is a player that has come to us to play in the championship he isn't going to be the best keeper in the world, until recently that was a chap called De Gea maybe someone could post a 3 minute clip of all the mistakes he has made recently - don't think there would be enough time for any replays.

He is a sweeper keeper, a style of keeper Bielsa needs in his system. With that style of keeping there will always be risks, especially if you have your own players getting in the way. However him reading the play and clearing danger before it becomes danger will likely stop us conceding more than any errors of judgement costs us. Additionally it allows our whole team to play far higher up the pitch which makes it so much easier to press the opposition.

If Kiko goes then it won't be cheap to find a keeper that fits Bielsa's style and is actually better than him. You could probably write off 90% of the keepers in the world as they can't play that way. It isn't about whether you rate BPF or not as BPF isn't the answer as he is too slow at coming off his line, he doesn't suit the way we play and that is regardless of the errors he makes.

We got points despite BPF being in net not because of him (apart from the match where he saved the last minute penalty). Take the Blackburn game where he completely misjudged a freekick which led to us being 2-1 in injury time and but for our late late goals in that match we would have lost directly because of him. The reason our form was poorer with Kiko in net was due to us not scoring.

BPF - Played 28 league matches - we scored 1.71 goals per game and conceded 1.14 goals per game

Kiko - played 17 league matches - we scored 1.35 goals per game and 1.06 per game

Will Huffer - Played 1 league match - we scored 2 and conceded 0.

So the main reason for our decline in form was not the change of keeper. Kiko conceded less goals per game than BPF did. The reason for our decline was the huge reduction in the amount of goals we scored whilst Kiko was in net. If we had carried on scoring at the rate we were when BPF was in net then we would have scored 6 goals more during the 17 matches when Kiko was in net.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Had a decent game against Belarus...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The goals conceded by BPF this season.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1136736104281968640

Worryingly I would say at least half of those you would expect a decent keeper, i.e championship level, to save. Good save v Belarus though,
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Imo it doesnt matter if BPF is a good keeper or not because he isnt a sweeper keeper.

MB wants a sweeper keeper, our style demands it.

Kiko imo 75% of the time gets his judgement spot on when coming off his line and that is vital, the keeper has to be willing to take that risk, BPF isnt at this stage.

Joe Hart was a top class keeper but didnt suit the style so Pep got rid, it happens.

Kiko for better or worse is the sort of keeper our style demands, BPF is not.

Thats not to say he wont become a good sweeper keeper one day, but at this time, next season, he isnt that keeper now and he isnt going to change that any time soon imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

And still our fans want to knock young Bailey.....why? Because a comical post was posted about Kiko? Tit for tat maybe? Who can find the best videos of our (OUR's remember) keepers mess ups? I make no wonder the kid wants to move away from Elland Road.......However, I do agree with some of the comments re young Bailey.....he isn't ready yet, and certainly wasn't ready at the beginning of last season. I kept saying so.....time and time again....My beef was always about the unfair criticism by our own supporters of a very young man, still learning his trade and out of his depth. The management were the ones to blame for putting him in that unenviable position. He did his best, (which wasn't too bad really) and that's all we can ask in that situation. Kiko came in and I really thought that we had now got a top class keeper. I thought that young Bailey could learn a lot from him. Kiko made some silly decisions, which cost us games some of which obviously divided the fans. Hopefully, we will get the position of goalkeeper remedied (by whatever means) for next season.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Regarding the criticism BPF got tbf he isnt unique, goalies in general split opinion, they can be a hero on Tuesday and then the worst thing ever on Saturday, just have to look at Kiko's thread to see that.

Similar to strikers, Klich, Phillips, Pablo misplace a pass chances are it wont directly lead to a goal that costs us points, Bamford or Roofe miss a chance, Kiko or BPF make an error and that can because of where they play, so goalies and strikers especially are susceptible to intense scrutiny.

Still think whoever is advising BPF needs to have a word, he isnt doing himself any favours with some of his comments, talking about every game being an opportunity to attract a buyer in one quote i read.

Still dont think goalie is an issue, Kiko and BPF are fine imo its the defence that needs sorting.

When BPF was in goal the most noticeable criticism on the pitch came from Jansson, he was quite often yelling at BPF usually because he wanted BPF to come and he didnt.

BPF suited more limited defenders like Cooper and Ayling because they are used to that style of keeper, Jansson though would get frustrated. Its Cooper and Ayling that have had issues with Kiko, not a coincidence imo and its that we need to correct.

If your defenders arent comfortable with the style of goalie behind them thats when issues occur, MB needs a sweeper keeper, either players like Ayling and Cooper adapt or they need to be changed because there lack of mental awareness is going to cost us.

BPF should get his head down and learn, he is 22, no hurry, learn the sweeper keeper role then see where he is.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom