Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Post by lufc1304 »

I agree with Cjay's very measured post. He's not being down on Kalvin, who has had an excellent season to date, but the reality is that he's way down the pecking order for international honours. If we go up, and he stays and thrives in the Prem, then things might change, but that's a big IF. As it stands, there are countless others ahead of him. Would love to see it happen, but it ain't going to anytime soon.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:08 am I agree with Cjay's very measured post. He's not being down on Kalvin, who has had an excellent season to date, but the reality is that he's way down the pecking order for international honours. If we go up, and he stays and thrives in the Prem, then things might change, but that's a big IF. As it stands, there are countless others ahead of him. Would love to see it happen, but it ain't going to anytime soon.
If we don't go up Nick I suspect Phillips will be heading off to the premiership anyway. I'd be extremely disappointed but it's only human nature & an accepted part of football these days if the offer is too good to refuse you'll lose your best players.

I fear the losses of Pontus & Kalvin if we are not promoted this season :cry:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

dezzy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:44 pm Gotta love ya Cjay! The eternal pessimist :)
I think Cjay is very level headed. When things were going disastrously under PH he could see the problem was PH and that the squad was better than PH made them look. Now that MB has got them, and especially some of the individuals, playing at a level that they may not be able to sustain Cjay refuses to get carried away.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

dezzy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:44 pm Gotta love ya Cjay! The eternal pessimist :)
Best way to avoid disappointment :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:08 am I agree with Cjay's very measured post. He's not being down on Kalvin, who has had an excellent season to date, but the reality is that he's way down the pecking order for international honours. If we go up, and he stays and thrives in the Prem, then things might change, but that's a big IF. As it stands, there are countless others ahead of him. Would love to see it happen, but it ain't going to anytime soon.
Exactly :tup:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:10 pm I think Cjay is very level headed. When things were going disastrously under PH he could see the problem was PH and that the squad was better than PH made them look. Now that MB has got them, and especially some of the individuals, playing at a level that they may not be able to sustain Cjay refuses to get carried away.
Gee thanks :) :oops:

But yes thats basically it, its not negativity or pessimism.

Its realism, after the 2018 we had I'm trying to keep perspective, we have had years of false dawns, hopefully this is our year but long way to go.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:10 pm I think Cjay is very level headed. When things were going disastrously under PH he could see the problem was PH and that the squad was better than PH made them look. Now that MB has got them, and especially some of the individuals, playing at a level that they may not be able to sustain Cjay refuses to get carried away.
Gee thanks :) :oops:

But yes thats basically it, its not negativity or pessimism.

Its realism, after the 2018 we had I'm trying to keep perspective, we have had years of false dawns, hopefully this is our year but long way to go.
Signed

King Cjay

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:06 am People laughed at me when I said Kalvin will play for England one day :eng:

His presence on the pitch is immense for Bielsa's Leeds.

I questioned his attitude last season as he seem not to take the game seriously, that seems to have changed this season as he bounds around the pitch exuding confidence in his new role looking like a complete footballer.

Our most consistent player this season imo!
I'll probably get hate for this but I think he's a much better player than Cook was for me. He has it all and will play at some higher level than Cook.

Just a shame about that awful tattoo he's just got!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 pm I'll probably get hate for this but I think he's a much better player than Cook was for me. He has it all and will play at some higher level than Cook.

You won't from me
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:51 pm I'll probably get hate for this but I think he's a much better player than Cook was for me. He has it all and will play at some higher level than Cook.

No hate but Imo kalvin won't ever be a premiership player unless he makes it under bielsa. He's found this role that he's flourishing in that he think he wouldnt elsewhere.

Cook is million miles ahead at imo..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Detest tattoos SG

Phillips put in yet another terrific display

Player of the season imo!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:56 am No hate but Imo kalvin won't ever be a premiership player unless he makes it under bielsa. He's found this role that he's flourishing in that he think he wouldnt elsewhere.

Cook is million miles ahead at imo..
I think fans have always overhyped Cook, played the odd through ball every now and again, but often overran the ball and ran into blind alleys. Decent young player, but not even a regular starter at Bournemouth and not a top 6 level player.

KP has a much better range of passing, reads the game better, has a better anticipation and adds goals and set piece delivery to his game as well. Much more of an all rounder.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Great article on Kalvin
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo Bielsa has been at Leeds United for almost six months and the Whites look almost unrecognisable compared to the side that limped to a 13th place finish last season.

With limited activity in the summer transfer window, Bielsa has got his side playing some of the most attractive football in the Championship as they sit second in the table with 20 games in the books.

One of the key narratives this season is just how much of an improvement Bielsa has got out of several members of Leeds' existing squad.

Matuesz Klich has come back from the wilderness of a loan spell in Holland last season to become a fixture in the midfield, Kemar Roofe has gone from splitting his time on the wing and up front to become one of the Championship's most potent strikers, while Liam Cooper's performances in the heart of defence have contributed to Leeds having one of the best back-lines in the division.

But if you were handing out a most-improved player award for the season now, Kalvin Phillips would likely get the nod.
The Thorp Arch product has been shifted back by Bielsa, playing either just in front of the defence or as a part of the back-line and is playing the best football of his career in this new role.

But how has Phillips, who turned 23 at the weekend, managed to transform his game so quickly? And what do the stats say about his new role? We've taken a look...

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.17.05.png

The adaption

"It's been difficult at the start when I first tried it," Phillips told LUTV about his initial reaction to the changes Bielsa wanted to make.

"The manager said that he wanted me to play there and I was a bit surprised by I think I took to it quite well.

"I'm finding it easier to get on the ball, I get a lot of the ball which I like. Confined passes, so it's good."

Phillips began last season in a much more advanced role and would net seven times over the course of the campaign, a tally he does not look like beating this year.

"Last season I obviously played more attacking and when the manager came in and said I want you to play as the number four, I was like 'how come?' but I took to it quite well and I just need to work on my defensive attributes more and hopefully I'll keep getting better."

Bielsa has a track record of converting midfielders into defenders, as he looks to utilise their passing ability to build from the back in what is an integral part of his playing style - something he elaborated on last month.

"Usually, the defensive midfielder is the third centre-back of the team," said the Leeds head coach. "So when a defensive midfielder plays as a centre-back he does actions he is used to.

Phillips is playing in a far deeper position this season

"One thing is to take a decision when you know you have three team-mates behind you, the goalkeeper and the two centre-backs, and another thing is to take a decision knowing you only have one team-mate behind you.

"You see sometimes the defensive midfielders try to recover the ball without being sure they will be able to recover the ball. The centre-back doesn't take these risks."

How the sweeper role works at Leeds

With Phillips now settled into his new role, 20 games into the new season he is getting a better grasp of the in-game specifics Bielsa wants him to do.

"When Coops or Pontus are one-vs-one, I'm basically the sweeper, so if the ball goes over their heads or if there's a free man in here I go and press and then Coops and Pontus cover round.

Kalvin Phillips' defensive work this season

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.26.41.png

"As soon as I give the ball I've got to get in a position where I'm either covering the other centre-half or the wingback who's bombed on.

"I'm basically the third centre-half. When the ball goes forward, there's Liam, Pontus and then I'm either in front or with a man, so doubling up on one man, so if they win the ball back or break, I can hopefully stop that."

Pass master

Another factor of Phillips' game that has come to the fore under this new role is that it has allowed him to show off his passing range.

Phillips will often be the first port of call for the goalkeeper and he is excelling with his distribution and taking full advantage of the extra space and time he has sitting deeper on the pitch.

"When our 'keeper has got the ball, if there's two up top I'll come a little bit deeper so the 'keeper can find me and obviously miss these two strikers out and then I try and find whoever I can, the wingbacks, the midfielders or the strikers," Phillips continues.

The stats show just how effective he has been with the ball this season:

Kalvin Phillips' passing
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.40.31.png
The importance of versatility

Phillips' versatility is the reason why this new role works.

Kalvin Phillips' attacking play
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.31.40.png
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.31.40.png (9.46 KiB) Viewed 3868 times

"He is a versatile player and that is a very important skill in modern football," Bielsa has said.

"If you look at his game last year he played during some games as an offensive midfielder and then he played as a number eight, then he played as a number four, and now he plays as a centre-back.

"If I had to do the same process, but backwards, instead of going from an offensive position to a defensive one to go from defence to attack, he could play in these different positions with good results.

"This tells a lot about him because usually players lose their versatility when they go back. [Stuart] Dallas , for example, looks more like a full-back than a winger now, just to give an example."

Phillips himself has spoken of the versatility he has had to show, as Leeds' opponents look to shift their formations in an effort to slow down Leeds' high octane style of play.

"Normally when we play against two up top I play in the middle of the back three or if they play maybe a number nine and then a number 10 that goes bombing off all time I'll play in a back three. If they play one up top or maybe three, I'll play more in midfield.

"It just depends on the formation of the opposition and I think with the teams that we're playing and the changing formations I think it's good to get to know."

Graft

Phillips is one of just three Leeds players to start every Championship game this season and the hard working Thorp Arch product knows that the Whites are getting the rewards their industry deserves.

"I think we're one of the hardest working teams in the Championship," he continues.

"The way we work on and off the ball is incredible and you can tell when we get the ball and attack, you can just see the movement around us. And then if there's no movement I can go back to the 'keeper, to Pontus or to Coops and we can just play again, build again."

The respect of his team-mates

As well as getting a glowing reference from his boss, Phillips' transformation has also drawn plaudits from his Leeds United team-mates.

"It's a bit of a masterstroke isn't it?," Adam Forshaw told LeedsLive in October.

"I think Kalvin would say the same. He's surprised. But from day one in training that's why he played. Didn't never play him anywhere else. It's great that it's paying dividends.
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.36.22.png
Forshaw has been full of praise for his team-mate

"I think one thing that really suits him in that position is he's physical as well. He carries a lot of strength, he's a good size.

"He's a young lad as well, he's only going to get better. He's a really good lad as well around the place. I'm pleased for him."

With Cooper sidelined for the next six weeks, Phillips is likely to be called upon in defence again over the festive period.

It's this versatility, work rate and willingness to learn under Bielsa mean he has become one of the Leeds head coach's most trusted lieutenants and will no doubt play a starring role in the the second half of Leeds' season.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.30.00.png
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Having nightmares about Phillips at cb vs Villa.

He has had 2 poor games there now in a row.

Not his fault, he isnt a cb, he wont ever be a cb, not in a 2.

Can just see Villa targeting him, Phillips vs Abraham doesnt bare thinking about, to quick, clever, tall and strong.

And if they target the left of our defence where Phillips is, thats Bolasies side, last thing we want is Douglas getting pulled away from Bolasie to help Phillips.

Bielsa may think Phillips is Javi Martinez, he really isnt.

Not got a lot of choice but i hope he goes for Halme and left Phillips sit like normal.
Signed

King Cjay

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

No need to worry. I had nightmares as well. We lost 5-1 but won the next 5. 3 pts clear at the top

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 09.56.44.png
Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 09.56.44.png (25.11 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A masterclass from our young player of the season

Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 15.32.03.png
Screenshot 2019-02-14 at 15.32.03.png (242.75 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The guy is even worse at passing than Pontus......
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

TBH I think whoever does these makes them up half the time
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"