Barry Douglas

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Barry Douglas

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 pm I don't buy tired legs argument as Alioski probably runs more than anyone, has played more matches than anyone, has also played every international match and yet his form in the last few weeks has improved.
Ali has improved to my surprise, ever since MB moved him over to the right flank

I do believe certain players can handle their fitness better than others.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It seems non stop the bashing of our players. BPF gets stick most weeks, Ayling has been shite, Douglas too, don't get me started on Captain Calamity, Forshaw can't pass 5 yards, Alioski can't beat a man, cross or shoot, Hernandez can't play in away matches and is past it at 36, Bamford is a crock, Saiz couldn't shoot or pass, Harrison is the worst player ever, Baker is anonymous etc etc. All this rubbish being managed by a stubborn manager who consistently plays players out of position and owners who never bring players in, or when they do they are all crap.

I just thank god when I look at the table that we statistically should have enough points at this stage of the season to be safe from relegation.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

weasel wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:13 pm It seems non stop the bashing of our players. BPF gets stick most weeks, Ayling has been shite, Douglas too, don't get me started on Captain Calamity, Forshaw can't pass 5 yards, Alioski can't beat a man, cross or shoot, Hernandez can't play in away matches and is past it at 36, Bamford is a crock, Saiz couldn't shoot or pass, Harrison is the worst player ever, Baker is anonymous etc etc. All this rubbish being managed by a stubborn manager who consistently plays players out of position and owners who never bring players in, or when they do they are all crap.

I just thank god when I look at the table that we statistically should have enough points at this stage of the season to be safe from relegation.
:tup:

Getting a bit ridiculous at this point. We're top of the league and have been playing some of the best football I can remember from a Leeds team since relegation.

You only have to read the first few posts in this thread to highlight this... Douglas one of the best left backs in the championship last season/most exciting signing in years, to (the much maligned) Alioski being better for his position!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We know Douglas is a good player, we've already seen it lots of times

In full agreement with the above two posts
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Douglas’s turn I see! Poor defender? Has saved us many times over the season.
Cooper being out, Philips out of position, Forshaw not as good as Phillips in the CDM position, puts extra pressure on our LB and RB, this thread is evidence that players have dips in form. We play to a system, that’s based on us being fluid, interchangeable, complex for players to implement, it’s worked well enough I guess.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Thumbs up to weasel, faaip and Dezzy, others on here and across social media are only happy if they're having a pop at the players, manager and board who collectively have us top of the league and playing the best football since O'Leary's tenure. I suspect the same moaners would be having a pop if we were regularly making the CL last four. Gets tiresome after a while. In short, quit whinging and enjoy the best season we've had in years, ffs
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:34 pm Thumbs up to weasel, faaip and Dezzy, others on here and across social media are only happy if they're having a pop at the players, manager and board who collectively have us top of the league and playing the best football since O'Leary's tenure. I suspect the same moaners would be having a pop if we were regularly making the CL last four. Gets tiresome after a while. In short, quit whinging and enjoy the best season we've had in years, ffs
This. Precisely.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

My god this forum would be boring if there were no controversial views on here

Imagine everybody agreeing with each other :shock:

Apart from Hernandez & Cooper some of those comments are true at times this season

My future match reports/player comments will have read how brilliant our players are every game.

And yes this season is without any doubt the best football I've witnessed in a very long time from a Leeds team & seeing Leeds at the top of the table is all down to the best coach in the championship by far !
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Leon, it's not about everyone being in agreement, it's about the propensity of some to swing wildly from eulogising to criticising within the space of a couple of games. These are championship players (in the main), they won't be brilliant every week. Even the very best out there have off days. What Bielsa has done is create a synergy whereby the sum is greater than the individual parts. Fact is we aren't Wolves, with huge resources and a Mendes contact book, and yet we are still top of the league with a collection of players some are happy to label as shite if they have a bad game. I'm all for differing opinions, thats football after all, but this rush to condemn and lambast really does get tiring after a while. Maybe supporters of other clubs are the same, I don't know and don't give a shite, but the scapegoating and moaning a section of our support indulge in if we haven't won 5-0 playing like Barca gets on my wick.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:44 pm Leon, it's not about everyone being in agreement, it's about the propensity of some to swing wildly from eulogising to criticising within the space of a couple of games. These are championship players (in the main), they won't be brilliant every week. Even the very best out there have off days. What Bielsa has done is create a synergy whereby the sum is greater than the individual parts. Fact is we aren't Wolves, with huge resources and a Mendes contact book, and yet we are still top of the league with a collection of players some are happy to label as shite if they have a bad game. I'm all for differing opinions, thats football after all, but this rush to condemn and lambast really does get tiring after a while. Maybe supporters of other clubs are the same, I don't know and don't give a shite, but the scapegoating and moaning a section of our support indulge in if we haven't won 5-0 playing like Barca gets on my wick.
Tbf ive been consistent largely on what i think of certain players even when i was all positive and upbeat :)

And but Radz know Mendes very well and could easily use him if he wanted, he said so himself.

Yes, most forums are much more forceful then this tbf, pretty sedate here.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:44 pm Leon, it's not about everyone being in agreement, it's about the propensity of some to swing wildly from eulogising to criticising within the space of a couple of games. These are championship players (in the main), they won't be brilliant every week. Even the very best out there have off days. What Bielsa has done is create a synergy whereby the sum is greater than the individual parts. Fact is we aren't Wolves, with huge resources and a Mendes contact book, and yet we are still top of the league with a collection of players some are happy to label as shite if they have a bad game. I'm all for differing opinions, thats football after all, but this rush to condemn and lambast really does get tiring after a while. Maybe supporters of other clubs are the same, I don't know and don't give a shite, but the scapegoating and moaning a section of our support indulge in if we haven't won 5-0 playing like Barca gets on my wick.
Well put
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I understand where you are coming from Nick & agree with much your post.

A couple of those comments go back to last season when we were totally under-performing, the Pablo comments i never got as in my opinion he is the most clever skilful player I've seen at ER in many years.

I'm absolutely amazed we are top of the league bearing in mind our severe injury problems. I think fans are concerned that everything could go pear-shape due to a lack of ambition
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:11 pm My god this forum would be boring if there were no controversial views on here

Imagine everybody agreeing with each other :shock:

Apart from Hernandez & Cooper some of those comments are true at times this season

My future match reports/player comments will have read how brilliant our players are every game.

And yes this season is without any doubt the best football I've witnessed in a very long time from a Leeds team & seeing Leeds at the top of the table is all down to the best coach in the championship by far !

So you admit your views are controversial? ...We can criticize individual performances during games, I do all the time. Someone stinks they'll know it too and I or we will say so here.

..what a lot do is take that one or two games form dip and extrapolate it to include a season or career..

Feel free to slag off a player in game just try not to let that colour an overall opinion.

AND REMEMBER FORM IS TEMPORARY, don't mix form and talent or ability up...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm Tbf ive been consistent largely on what i think of certain players even when i was all positive and upbeat :)

And but Radz know Mendes very well and could easily use him if he wanted, he said so himself.

Yes, most forums are much more forceful then this tbf, pretty sedate here.
Wasn't a pop at you, Cjay, you are consistent in your opinions. Most of which I agree with. But there are fans on here and on social media who are almost bipolar with players. Fact is, most are average or a bit above average but nothing more. It's a testament to MB and the players that we are where we are. I'm just enjoying it, weird feeling to think we'll get something from every game we play, not been like that for a long time.

I like Radz, think he's doing a pretty decent job, but he should learn to keep his mouth shut. The best chairmen are, in my opinion, virtual unknowns who just support the manager.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:16 pmI'm absolutely amazed we are top of the league bearing in mind our severe injury problems. I think fans are concerned that everything could go pear-shape due to a lack of ambition
We probably are all amazed at what MB has done with these players and equally as confused with some of the decisions that he makes which by his own admission sometimes backfires. It may well be that his unconventional style and tactics will ultimately see LUFC into the land of £ which is becoming more desperate as each season passes . It is this desperation which sometimes gets the better of us long suffering fans resulting in a barrage of insults but I'm sure most of it isn't really meant and what we all want is to be able to carry the lads over that final line so its at times like this we must all pull together as one and make sure that this season is OUR season ! Good win tomorrow lads !

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:21 pm So you admit your views are controversial? ...We can criticize individual performances during games, I do all the time. Someone stinks they'll know it too and I or we will say so here.

..what a lot do is take that one or two games form dip and extrapolate it to include a season or career..

Feel free to slag off a player in game just try not to let that colour an overall opinion.

AND REMEMBER FORM IS TEMPORARY, don't mix form and talent or ability up...
Yes I have strong views & they could be construed as controversial at times.

I do my utmost not to slag players off when I'm at games & I never boo the team off the park, couldn't believe it when a section of our fans booed our team off the pitch at half-time v Hull. Always feel it is best to get behind the players at games although Forshaw who is a experienced campaigner is testing my patience somewhat of late especially as I think Phillips is a far better player.

I applauded our players at the end of the Forest game for their efforts as both Pontus & Roofe took their shirts off & gave them to a couple of our young fans.

I tend to reserve my criticism for the forums
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm I tend to reserve my criticism for the forums
I may have to think again on here
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Oh Lord.

So unless we think everything is rosy in the garden, you're negative. :roll: For the record, I'm happier than I've been for a long time, but I still see reservations in the team rather than thinking nothing could possibly be improved.

BPF is taking pelters for the amount of goals conceded atm, but since Douglas came back in we've been so shaky at the back and he didn't play in our best win of the season. He's even admitted he's not been good enough recently, so he must be negative too then.

I only questioned why he's classed as a great signing. Fans are living off his reputation and saying we've got a bargain, but I don't see it personally.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

lufc1304 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 pm Wasn't a pop at you, Cjay, you are consistent in your opinions. Most of which I agree with. But there are fans on here and on social media who are almost bipolar with players. Fact is, most are average or a bit above average but nothing more. It's a testament to MB and the players that we are where we are. I'm just enjoying it, weird feeling to think we'll get something from every game we play, not been like that for a long time.

I like Radz, think he's doing a pretty decent job, but he should learn to keep his mouth shut. The best chairmen are, in my opinion, virtual unknowns who just support the manager.
I think tbh mate last season was a bit of a breaking point for some of our fans, it was for me. It takes a while for me to build a concrete view on our players, i have opinions on new signings like Douglas but for players like Phillips, Ayling, Cooper, Roofe, those who have been here a while I'm set on them and it will take at least a full season for that view to change.

I can appreciate good performances from players who have been here a while, but my all round view wont change if at all till this season ends.

Like you say Bielsa has done brilliantly to do what he has done and it is very enjoyable to believe we have a chance to win every game, thats not something I've experienced since the O'Leary days.

But then things like Phillips getting sent off and back to back defeats happen and you find yourself remembering last season and other seasons where these things have happened and it all goes tits up and you think "oh god here we go" so you vent furiously :lol:

I think thats why people are concerned, its largely the same squad as before, plenty of these players have let us and themselves down before and its hard as a fanbase to shake that.

Agree on Radz, he has done ok, like you i wish he would shut up especially when its not something he will act on and i would like to see some ambition this month.

We've had a while to stew over defeats which doesnt help, few more wins and all will be well again and hopefully some quality players to see us through :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm Yes I have strong views & they could be construed as controversial at times.

I do my utmost not to slag players off when I'm at games & I never boo the team off the park, couldn't believe it when a section of our fans booed our team off the pitch at half-time v Hull. Always feel it is best to get behind the players at games although Forshaw who a experienced campaigner is testing my patience somewhat of late especially as I think Phillips is a far better player.

I applauded our players at the end of the Forest game for their efforts as both Pontus & Roofe took their shirts off & gave them to a couple of our young fans.

I tend to reserve my criticism for the forums
And for all the times I argue with you on here, never once would I have expected any less, a credit to the club.
We’ll make you up a “I love Radz” T-shirt with his face on it, to wear to the match, when we lift the trophy ;-)