The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 19th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 19th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds are in a tug of war with Derby and West Brom to sign Brentford's highy rated winger Florian Jozefzoon.

Leeds leapt into gear yesterday following an announcement that Derby had made an acceptable offer for the 27 year old French man. The Elland Road club are back in the hunt following extensive talks with Brentford that went on well into the evening.

Leeds are signing Bulgarian goal keeper Dimitar Sheytanov from Levski Sofia!

The 19 year old will link up with Carlos Corberán's under 23's in the forthcoming days.

As reported by our intrepid reporter Richard (ristac) yesterday, Kalvin Phillips has revealed that Marcelo Bielsa has asked him to play as a third centre back!

Speaking to the press the 22 yo said: "I'm not too sure to be honest. Obviously I've been playing as the deepest midfielder and I've been playing in training as a third centre-half as well so I think he's just trying to work out where my best position is.

"I believe I can play anywhere in the midfield and I'm just happy to be playing and hopefully I can get the chance to do that throughout the season."

"As long as I'm playing games I'm not really fussed where I play. Like I said, I can play anywhere in midfield, I can play centre-half so obviously it's a good thing to have when you can be a utility player as well."

Would Phillips make a good centre back?

He is only 5 ft 8 tall. How much of a detrimental effect is that on a centre back?

Does this mean that Bielsa doesn't plan on splashing out on another centre back?

Perhaps there is a clue from a tweet Phil Hay sent yesterday!

Phil Hay@PhilHayYEP
It does look like Bielsa thinks he can work with (and improve) a sizeable core of the squad that was here last season.

Tonights game v York City is a 7pm kick off. Remember tickets are ONLY available via the Leeds United Ticket Office and website. No tickets for away areas of the ground are on sale at Bootham Crescent prior to the game.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 19th July)

Post by 60sUnited »

With reference to Kalvin Phillips as centre back, we are small all over the pitch so why not reduce the height of the back four, makes it exciting when we are defending corners with 6' 5'' centre forwards bearing down on our 5' 8'' defender !! HELP.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am Good Morning Everyone
Leeds are in a tug of war with Derby and West Brom to sign Brentford's highy rated winger Florian Jozefzoon.
Leeds leapt into gear yesterday following an announcement that Derby had made an acceptable offer for the 27 year old French man. The Elland Road club are back in the hunt following extensive talks with Brentford that went on well into the evening.
Leeds are signing Bulgarian goal keeper Dimitar Sheytanov from Levski Sofia!
The 19 year old will link up with Carlos Corberán's under 23's in the forthcoming days
Good morning Matt

All these potential signings are not inspiring, hopefully whoever we sign are decent prospects
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am Would Phillips make a good centre back?
He is only 5 ft 8 tall. How much of a detrimental effect is that on a centre back?
I have my doubts, it's not as if you see him heading many crosses out of the danger area when we are defending set-pieces
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am Does this mean that Bielsa doesn't plan on splashing out on another centre back?
You would assume so......season over before it commences if that is the case !
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 am Tonights game v York City is a 7pm kick off. Remember tickets are ONLY available via the Leeds United Ticket Office and website. No tickets for away areas of the ground are on sale at Bootham Crescent prior to the game.
Ticket in my wallet ready to go :-D
gessa

Post by gessa »

I think I've give up on potential signings, just going to wait and see what happens.

You wouldn't think Phillips as a natural player for the back 3 system, the only way to see is try it, which if it is the case, should be tonight, for 1 half at least. Looking more and more unlikely there will be more than a couple of new signings, we really need 3 imo.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 am I think I've give up on potential signings, just going to wait and see what happens.

You wouldn't think Phillips as a natural player for the back 3 system, the only way to see is try it, which if it is the case, should be tonight, for 1 half at least. Looking more and more unlikely there will be more than a couple of new signings, we really need 3 imo.
What happened to the 'Tuesday' special mate :lol:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Don't know anything about the Brentford lad, though I think Cjay (our Statto!) said he was decent. A winger with genuine pace and end product would be nice, but I think at the top end, a striker is more of a priority.

With regard to Phillips playing as a centre half; whilst I'm happy to put my faith in the much vaunted Bielsa, we need height at the back. If we could get a CH and striker in, then I think we'd be in fairly decent shape. Can see a few promotions from the U23s this season, young lads with talent who Bielsa can mould.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

It may have been noticed on here that I’m a bit of a supporter of Kalvin :) I’ve known him since he was about 13 and as I’ve stated on here I see him as a future Captain, I know others don’t but a Centre Back god save us :lol: :lol:

I’m 5’7 and once played as Centre Back for Brains Brewery’s in Cardiff for a season as I was the only one in the team who could head a ball which was fine when no one was near me but put me up against even a half decent centre forward over 6’ and I’d loose 9 times out of 10 so it’s a no from me
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

60sUnited wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 am With reference to Kalvin Phillips as centre back, we are small all over the pitch so why not reduce the height of the back four, makes it exciting when we are defending corners with 6' 5'' centre forwards bearing down on our 5' 8'' defender !! HELP.
Morning 60's, perhaps Anita could get on top of Phillips shoulders during set pieces? :)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 am Good morning Matt

All these potential signings are not inspiring, hopefully whoever we sign are decent prospects

I have my doubts, it's not as if you see him heading many crosses out of the danger area when we are defending set-pieces

You would assume so......season over before it commences if that is the case !

Ticket in my wallet ready to go :-D
Morning Leon, I think our team tonight will hit the ground running. I really hope Klich plays and shows what he can do.

Time is running out for signings, as you pointed out.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 am Morning 60's, perhaps Anita could get on top of Phillips shoulders during set pieces? :)
:lol: Just about bring him up to a decent height !!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 am I think I've give up on potential signings, just going to wait and see what happens.

Morning Gessa, I suppose with Baker coming in, Bielsa was keen to make use of Phillips. Time will tell...

We need a top marquee signing, preferably a striker...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 am Don't know anything about the Brentford lad, though I think Cjay (our Statto!) said he was decent. A winger with genuine pace and end product would be nice, but I think at the top end, a striker is more of a priority.

With regard to Phillips playing as a centre half; whilst I'm happy to put my faith in the much vaunted Bielsa, we need height at the back. If we could get a CH and striker in, then I think we'd be in fairly decent shape. Can see a few promotions from the U23s this season, young lads with talent who Bielsa can mould.
Morning 1304, Jozefzoon was certainly one of Brentford's stand out players last season, and remember, they only just missed out on the play offs. The fact West Brom and Derby (two teams with promotion on their minds) are also seriously interested shows we're targeting the right kind of player.........hopefully.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am What happened to the 'Tuesday' special mate :lol:
I didn't say which Tuesday. :roflmao:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:08 am It may have been noticed on here that I’m a bit of a supporter of Kalvin :) I’ve known him since he was about 13 and as I’ve stated on here I see him as a future Captain, I know others don’t but a Centre Back god save us :lol: :lol:

I’m 5’7 and once played as Centre Back for Brains Brewery’s in Cardiff for a season as I was the only one in the team who could head a ball which was fine when no one was near me but put me up against even a half decent centre forward over 6’ and I’d loose 9 times out of 10 so it’s a no from me
Morning Ratscoot, I wonder what Bielsa is thinking. All our defenders are not exactly blessed with height. I'm no football Manager, but if I were I would want two big physical centre backs in the style of Noel Blake. Defenders that are going to bully forwards and make their life difficult.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

60sUnited wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 am :lol: Just about bring him up to a decent height !!
:)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds' U23 player Alex Machuca has joined Spanish club Burgos CF on a season-long deal.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Looks like Liam Kitching is heading back out on loan to Harrogate Town, but not before committing himself to Leeds by signing a new 3 year contract.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This is for when we go three at the back I'm sure. Two big centre halves/stoppers and a ball playing libero. Libero doesn't need to be tall. Again this looks like Biesla being his thorough self and finding out who can handle what. Both in training and in games.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote: ↑

I didn't say which Tuesday. :roflmao:
...or which year!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 am This is for when we go three at the back I'm sure. Two big centre halves/stoppers and a ball playing libero. Libero doesn't need to be tall. Again this looks like Biesla being his thorough self and finding out who can handle what. Both in training and in games.
Morning Faaip, in Biels we trust eh?

At the moment, anyway... :-D