The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 18th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 18th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds first pre season friendly ended with a 2-1 victory to the Whites courtesy of first time finishes from Roofe and Ayling, but did Leeds make heavy weather of it in the second half?

Here are the talking points:-

Peacock Farrell. Did not have much to do. Totally at fault as he palmed the ball in his own net in the last minute of the first half. It looks like he has been working on his distribution.

Forest Green changed their tactics to keep Ayling quiet in the second half and it worked. undoubtedly, Ayling was one if not our best player in the first half, but with his qualities should he have been able to overcome FG's tactical change and deliver the same kind of performance in the second half as he did in the first?

Dallas. Safe enough performance. He'll always put in a shift, and you know exactly what you'll get from him, but will he ever set the game alight?

Cooper. Similar to Dallas, safe enough performance, but feel there's always an error waiting to happen. Can he step up to the next level under Biela?

Berardi. Performed well in an unfamiliar role. Ran with the ball without fear.

Forshaw. Did alright, but would have expected a player of his qualities to stand out and boss the midfield a bit more.

Phillips. The only reason I knew he was playing was I saw his rediculous hair cut on the screen. Am I being harsh?

Hernandez. Safe performance, was expecting a bit more tbh, especially from his free kick. He's good, but is he good enough?

Saiz. Delivered a delicious chip to set Roofe up in the second half, but for someone so creative, should he have done more?

Alioski. He kept hold of the bal well, and had good link up play with the forwards imo.

Kemar Roofe. He scored a goal early on, but he missed three during the game! The opposition were a team that escaped relegation from the Football League last season by a single point. I know this was our first pre season game of the season, but should he have done better? If West Brom do come along with 7m, should we take it?

Whilst we wait on news of another signing, let's talk about LUTV!

Was I the only one that cringed every time Eddie and Co-commentator opened their mouths?

Who was the Co-commentator, he must have been from Forest Green, as he knew absolutely sod all about us, or our players. It was embarrassing!

Agree?
Brader
First Team
First Team

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 18th July)

Post by Brader »

Disagree with a couple of points - mainly Phillips. I was really interested to see what role he would play and I can see why bielsa has taken him under his wing abit.

He’s filling a roll I last saw at Leeds by bridcutt. Playing very deep in midfield allowing forshaw to push further up, when the Wing backs pushed up he slipped into their position to cover against counter attacks, when CBs went up for headers purposefully swept in behind them to cover. I think his role is more important when he’s off the ball than on it. He’ll get slated by twitter / the Fifa football collective however tactically - doing a really good job.

I was also alittle disappointed with Alioski - the passing was quite fluid however he was trying too hard to play pinhole passes rather than the simple stuff - possibly down to what he’s been told to do however sometimes he gave the ball away too cheaply.

Can really see the pack hunting go down well at Elland Road too - I don’t know if anyone else noticed but every time we lost the ball there was a minimum of 3 players pressing for 10/15 seconds before dropping back into formation.
Last edited by Brader on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Morning all...

I’ve been reflecting on why we had only 4 subs and none were used and I’ve come to a conclusion, I don’t believe it was just about fitness.

I think Bielsa wanted to see who was still following his instructions come the 89th minute. He plays a slightly more complex tactical game, players covering positions, pressing, movement and interchanging positions, one player getting it wrong and the whole balance can go out the window.

I think Bielsa wanted to see who had the right mental attitude at the end of the game and who reverted to bad habits.
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Richard wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am Morning all...

I’ve been reflecting on why we had only 4 subs and none were used and I’ve come to a conclusion, I don’t believe it was just about fitness.

I think Bielsa wanted to see who was still following his instructions come the 89th minute. He plays a slightly more complex tactical game, players covering positions, pressing, movement and interchanging positions, one player getting it wrong and the whole balance can go out the window.

I think Bielsa wanted to see who had the right mental attitude at the end of the game and who reverted to bad habits.
I’d agree with all this - mixed with the York game being less than 48 hours from this one.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Brader wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am Disagree with a couple of points - mainly Phillips. I was really interested to see what role he would play and I can see why bielsa has taken him under his wing abit.

He’s filling a roll I last saw at Leeds by bridcutt. Playing very deep in midfield allowing forshaw to push further up, when the Wing backs pushed up he slipped into their position to cover against counter attacks, when CBs went up for headers purposefully swept in behind them to cover. I think his role is more important when he’s off the ball than on it. He’ll get slated by twitter / the Fifa football collective however tactically - doing a really good job.
Morning Brader, very interesting post. I suppose I always saw Phillips as a combative midfielder, though if playing a deeper role, I would then have expected better from Forshaw.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Brader wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am Disagree with a couple of points - mainly Phillips. I was really interested to see what role he would play and I can see why bielsa has taken him under his wing abit.

Morning Brader, very interesting post. I suppose I always saw Phillips as a combative midfielder, though if playing a deeper role, I would then have expected better from Forshaw.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Richard wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am Morning all...

Morning Richard, yes, the subs were there just in case of injury. It will be very interesting to see who he plays in the second game against York tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing Baker, Blackman, Ideguchi and Roberts.

Its interesting that all the players that played last night were the first team from last season.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 am Morning Richard, yes, the subs were there just in case of injury. It will be very interesting to see who he plays in the second game against York tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing Baker, Blackman, Ideguchi and Roberts.

Its interesting that all the players that played last night were the first team from last season.
I’d expect all 11 from yesterday to be left at home, same 4 subs in case of injury. I’m looking forward to seeing what Klich and Roberts bring to the table and also Ideguchi as I’d written him off.

I’m guessing our game against Oxford will be a mixture of the two starting lineups and a true indication of the starting 11 prior to any further signings

Guiesley a chance for any new signings to get an outing and the B team to make a final claim then Las Palmas a true test before the season kicks off.
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Fun fact to point out is that Las Palmas will be the first game in the new kit
hector

Post by hector »

fun fact 2...

I lived in Las Palmas for a while at the end of the 90's
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

hector wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:45 am fun fact 2...

I lived in Las Palmas for a while at the end of the 90's
Morning Hector, I love Gran Canaria. Always thought I'd like to retire out there....

Why did you come back?
hector

Post by hector »

The job ended...... :shhh:

I did go back for 3 years later though, but you can only sell Time share for so long before you go wibble..... :) :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Here are the talking points:-
Peacock Farrell. Did not have much to do. Totally at fault as he palmed the ball in his own net in the last minute of the first half. It looks like he has been working on his distribution
The reason BPF's distribution was good is because we had midfielders & defenders wanting for the ball as oppose to turning the backs on him & running up field, Phillips in particular gave him plenty of options to roll the ball out to him
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Forest Green changed their tactics to keep Ayling quiet in the second half and it worked. undoubtedly, Ayling was one if not our best player in the first half, but with his qualities should he have been able to overcome FG's tactical change and deliver the same kind of performance in the second half as he did in the first?
Sorry Matt that comment is a little unfair on Ayling. FPR put an extra man on the right flank to combat Ayling's runs, our fans would have been screaming at him if he had bombed forward so much leaving us totally exposed down the flank
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Dallas. Safe enough performance. He'll always put in a shift, and you know exactly what you'll get from him, but will he ever set the game alight?
Not Dallas biggest fan but I thought he was outstanding last night
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Berardi. Performed well in an unfamiliar role. Ran with the ball without fear
Looked comfortable
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Forshaw. Did alright, but would have expected a player of his qualities to stand out and boss the midfield a bit more
Phillips. The only reason I knew he was playing was I saw his ridiculous hair cut on the screen. Am I being harsh?
Very harsh, I thought Phillips & Forshaw bossed the midfield, very impressed with KP
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Hernandez. Safe performance, was expecting a bit more tbh, especially from his free kick. He's good, but is he good enough?
Our touch of class
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Saiz. Delivered a delicious chip to set Roofe up in the second half, but for someone so creative, should he have done more?
Needs to deliver more, came into the game more in the 2nd half
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Alioski. He kept hold of the bal well, and had good link up play with the forwards imo
Typical Alioski, flattered to deceive, one footed & struggles to go round a League Two full-back
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Kemar Roofe. He scored a goal early on, but he missed three during the game! The opposition were a team that escaped relegation from the Football League last season by a single point. I know this was our first pre season game of the season, but should he have done better? If West Brom do come along with 7m, should we take it?
Roofe missed four, one in five opportunities taken is not good enough if we want to be successful
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 am Whilst we wait on news of another signing, let's talk about LUTV!
Was I the only one that cringed every time Eddie and Co-commentator opened their mouths?
Who was the Co-commentator, he must have been from Forest Green, as he knew absolutely sod all about us, or our players. It was embarrassing!
At least it wasn't Tom Kirwin ;-)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

TRANSFER NEWS UPDATE

An offer from an unnamed club has been accepted for Brentford winger Florian Jozefzoon. The 27 year-old right winger had a brilliant season last year, scoring seven goals and assisting on seven more.

If this is not Leeds, they will very quickly be lodging a rival bid.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Btw Good morning Matt
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I was also alittle disappointed with Alioski - the passing was quite fluid however he was trying too hard to play pinhole passes rather than the simple stuff - possibly down to what he’s been told to do however sometimes he gave the ball away too cheaply.

Can really see the pack hunting go down well at Elland Road too - I don’t know if anyone else noticed but every time we lost the ball there was a minimum of 3 players pressing for 10/15 seconds before dropping back into formation.
Agree with all this, great summary :tup:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 am The reason BPF's distribution was good is because we had midfielders & defenders wanting for the ball as oppose to turning the backs on him & running up field, Phillips in particular gave him plenty of options to roll the ball out to him

Sorry Matt that comment is a little unfair on Ayling. FPR put an extra man on the right flank to combat Ayling's runs, our fans would have been screaming at him if he had bombed forward so much leaving us totally exposed down the flank

Not Dallas biggest fan but I thought he was outstanding last night

Looked comfortable

Very harsh, I thought Phillips & Forshaw bossed the midfield, very impressed with KP

Our touch of class

Needs to deliver more, came into the game more in the 2nd half

Typical Alioski, flattered to deceive, one footed & struggles to go round a League Two full-back

Roofe missed four, one in five opportunities taken is not good enough if we want to be successful

At least it wasn't Tom Kirwin ;-)
Afternoon Leon,

I thought Ayling was our best player in the first half, but saw nothing of him in the second.

Are you saying we should let Roofe go...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Harsh to blame Roofe for all of those. Poor ball from Ayling contributed to the second miss. First miss down to lack of game sharpness plus most forwards would have missed that. Lovely movement to lose his marker for the headed chance, 50/50 he should have done better. Even the commentator said it should have been headed back, a goal shot not really on

Now the good,

Clinical passing.
Calm cool for the pass to Ayling, I've seen those short passes screwed up so many times ...not least multiple times by England in the WC
High skill flick pass late for Alioski I think
Clever movement
Harried keeper into kicking into touch twice
Closed down well when not on the ball
Got into positions to score all night
Scored
Assisted
Should have had a pen
Set other players up for good positions subsequently squandered
Last edited by The Subhuman on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

I think you are being a bit harsh on Roofe 64...

It was his first competative match in 3 months, in a role he was only partly used in last season.... Of course he is not going to be firing on all cylinders at this stage..

He did however get himself into good positions plenty of times, so once his eye gets in, he will be blasting them in..... You see!!!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's worth his weight imo, If we sell it need to be 10M plus. Not saying we don't need a striker we absolutely do, maybe two. But Roofe is an essential squad player who's best position is probably coming off the left wing. I also prefer Alioski on the right, he seemed to be on the left most of the game

If we want to denigrate FGR (and I'm not one for doing that especially as it was a friendly) Then Alioski should have beaten his man a lot more, Ayling should have been better second half, adding a second rubbish player to his side should have made no difference at all.. Saiz should have found more space and Hernandez too quiet for a game against League 2 rubbish.

I'm not saying that. I thought it was a good run out and we played as a team very well with the requisite team performances.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"