O/T Apologies

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

O/T Apologies

Post by John in Louisiana »

Many, many apologies for our President's atrocious behavior in front of Her Majesty the Queen.

A despicable way to treat a head of state.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: O/T Apologies

Post by YorkshireSquare »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 pm Many, many apologies for our President's atrocious behavior in front of Her Majesty the Queen.

A despicable way to treat a head of state.

He treats his own wife with even less regard so I'm not sure we should expect him to follow protocol where the Queen is concerned.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What happened
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 pmWhat happened
He was late, he failed to bow, he walked in front of her..........

You know, the usual. Just Trump being Trump.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/preside ... 26332.html
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Trump is a dick but... Head of the USA meets the Queen of England, why should he walk behind her, because it is the “said” thing to do? The monarchy needs William in the hot seat, Queen and Charles both need to go, pompous old farts.

Trump does what he believes is best for the USA the Americans voted him in, it’s none of our business yet we have just cost the UK taxpayer £5m in policing and security through childish protests. We’ve accepted far worse people on state visits, Mugabi for one.

If Trump thinks bollocks to you lot you’re not getting a trade deal watch how much worse off we’ll all be, again he isn’t my cup of tea but he isn’t my problem and the sooner the UK tries to stop fixing problems that are not of our concern the better off we’ll all be.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Have to disagree, Richard.

Trump is an invited guest. If he didn't want to adhere to the protocol associated with a visit to the Queen (who is, after all, the British head of state), he should not have accepted the invitation. His behavior was inappropriate, boorish, and an embarrassment to the United States.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 pm Trump is a dick but... Head of the USA meets the Queen of England, why should he walk behind her, because it is the “said” thing to do? The monarchy needs William in the hot seat, Queen and Charles both need to go, pompous old farts.

Trump does what he believes is best for the USA the Americans voted him in, it’s none of our business yet we have just cost the UK taxpayer £5m in policing and security through childish protests. We’ve accepted far worse people on state visits, Mugabi for one.

If Trump thinks bollocks to you lot you’re not getting a trade deal watch how much worse off we’ll all be, again he isn’t my cup of tea but he isn’t my problem and the sooner the UK tries to stop fixing problems that are not of our concern the better off we’ll all be.
My sentiments too Richard

What were those protesters hoping to achieve & yes where were they when Mugabi & others waltzed into this country ?
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:31 am Have to disagree, Richard.

Trump is an invited guest. If he didn't want to adhere to the protocol associated with a visit to the Queen (who is, after all, the British head of state), he should not have accepted the invitation. His behavior was inappropriate, boorish, and an embarrassment to the United States.
I can accept what you’re saying on that incident but he made a mistake, it’s the kind of thing that can happen when a Celebrity gets voted into power. The Americans have a thing about voting for people with zero political backgrounds and who are not accustomed to protocol when meeting other world leaders.

You feel the need to apologise for this mistake (I’m assuming you don’t believe he did it purposely?) I think it’s more embarrassing the way many in the UK behaved in flying a large baby balloon, waving banners, screaming abuse and the hostility shown to an invited guest.

None of which was a mistake, none done with anyone’s best interest :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 am UK behaved in flying a large baby balloon, waving banners, screaming abuse and the hostility shown to an invited guest.
Embarrassing !!!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Why was it embarrassing for people to protest the presence of a hugely devisive character? This is a man who said the KKK are very good people, boasts about predatory sexual behaviour and who seperates kids from their parents and locks them up. That's just a short list. I know quite a few people who went on that march and I'm embarrassed by none of them. In fact, if I lived anywhere near London, I'd have been there too

John, you don't need to apologise for that cretin, mate, May was desperate to get him here so she could beg for a trade deal once we throw ourselves off the Brexit cliff. That he didn't know how to behave in the company of the monarchy should come as no surprise to anyone.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Richard wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:59 am I can accept what you’re saying on that incident but he made a mistake, it’s the kind of thing that can happen when a Celebrity gets voted into power. The Americans have a thing about voting for people with zero political backgrounds and who are not accustomed to protocol when meeting other world leaders.

You feel the need to apologise for this mistake (I’m assuming you don’t believe he did it purposely?) I think it’s more embarrassing the way many in the UK behaved in flying a large baby balloon, waving banners, screaming abuse and the hostility shown to an invited guest.

None of which was a mistake, none done with anyone’s best interest :tup:
If you or I were to call it a mistake born of ignorance it might be excusable. The President of the United States, however, has an army of people to bring him up to speed on diplomatic niceties before he ever meets with any foreign dignitary. Donald Trump regularly dispenses with that advice.

He glories in showing disdain for others, especially those he feels are held in higher esteem. His behavior was not a mistake. He arrived late and kept the Queen waiting purposely. He walked ahead of her purposely. That's just who he is.

I won't comment on the behavior of the protesters, not being British. I will only say that, as an American, I am thoroughly disgusted by our President's behavior and would like to offer my apologies to any Britons who were offended by it, as I would have been had some visiting head of state shown such absolute disdain for mine.

You can bet your bottom dollar Trump won't show up late for his meeting with Putin.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I thought he looked fake and uncomfortable.

The Queen looked confident and dignified.

Not a big Royalist but The Queen is 92 and he forced her to have to stop dead in her tracks and go around him, she then had to remind him to walk.

Amazes me to this day Trump is president.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:57 pm I thought he looked fake and uncomfortable.

The Queen looked confident and dignified.

Amazes me to this day Trump is president.
This.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"