The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 13th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 13th July)

Post by Richard »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am Underwhelming signings are the name of the game at Leeds Richard

When did we actually get excited about one ?
From day one I’ve defended Rads but something is starting to stink. Last season every signing was a surprise, they were flowing in, done and dusted, all the paper talk was miles off. Some of the signings worked better than others but we got on with our business, rivals couldn’t poach targets as everything was done close to the chest.

This season we’re linked with Hernandez, Vydra, Gunn, Kodjia all superstars at this level, the press are all over it how we are deep in talks with offers on the table. Then it starts to circulate that these players wage demands are too much.

The first day we were linked with Hernandez I went on the Hull City forum, their fans laughed at the Leeds interest questioning how we would pay something like the £70k a week he wanted to join Villa I think it was. That was the reason he never joined them a few months back.

Hull City had offered him £50k a week to sign a new contract and he said no, admittedly he had also fallen out with the owners. If you only have one brain cell you would know he isn’t going to accept 30k a week so were we clueless or were we hoping to boost season ticket sales.

My fear now... Bielsa walks due to not being backed and believing like many of us did that we really were in with a chance of getting Vydra or Hernandez or similar quality.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 am Good morning Matt & All

Is Blackman any better than Peacock-Farrell ?

Never played in the premiership

31 games for the Blunts in the championship
Morning Leon, Blackman has to compete with Courtois and Cabellero. Not surpring really.

We've got ourselves a very good keeper there.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Morning Leon, Blackman has to compete with Courtois and Cabellero. Not surprising really.

We've got ourselves a very good keeper there.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Richard wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 am From day one I’ve defended Rads but something is starting to stink. Last season every signing was a surprise, they were flowing in, done and dusted, all the paper talk was miles off. Some of the signings worked better than others but we got on with our business, rivals couldn’t poach targets as everything was done close to the chest.

This season we’re linked with Hernandez, Vydra, Gunn, Kodjia all superstars at this level, the press are all over it how we are deep in talks with offers on the table. Then it starts to circulate that these players wage demands are too much.

The first day we were linked with Hernandez I went on the Hull City forum, their fans laughed at the Leeds interest questioning how we would pay something like the £70k a week he wanted to join Villa I think it was. That was the reason he never joined them a few months back.

Hull City had offered him £50k a week to sign a new contract and he said no, admittedly he had also fallen out with the owners. If you only have one brain cell you would know he isn’t going to accept 30k a week so were we clueless or were we hoping to boost season ticket sales.

My fear now... Bielsa walks due to not being backed and believing like many of us did that we really were in with a chance of getting Vydra or Hernandez or similar quality.
Hull offered Hernandez 50k a week to stay? I doubt it...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 am From day one I’ve defended Rads but something is starting to stink. Last season every signing was a surprise, they were flowing in, done and dusted, all the paper talk was miles off. Some of the signings worked better than others but we got on with our business, rivals couldn’t poach targets as everything was done close to the chest.

From day one I've doubted Radz, so many businessmen in football are full of promises but fail to deliver. The fact remains we've gone backwards over the last fifteen months, last season was a joke & a total embarrassment

Now we are trying to sign players that are out of our price range. I don't want Vydra or Hernandez at ER if their excessive demands are true, Forget about them, rather than waste time on these over-priced prima donna's whom have achieved very little in their careers go out & find other suitable alternatives, other teams do !

If Bielsa walks we are back to square one again, probably doomed :(
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:13 am Hull offered Hernandez 50k a week to stay? I doubt it...
According to the gossip they did, one source is quoting it was £55k a week
https://www.90min.com/posts/3928925-hul ... w-interest
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Its always going to happen in the summer sadly. Leeds can be as tight lipped as possible when it comes to signings - however agents love to slip out stories to try haste clubs into upping their wages. I’m not too fussed by vydra - we already doubled our pay structure to tempt him here. If he thinks he can get 50k+ a week somewhere else then good luck to him. My memory isn’t short enough to forget about administration / goldfish / Seth Johnson so I’m more than happy to look at other sensible targets.

Blackman - really happy with him. Saw him a few times last season and I think he’s a really good talent if he can get the right coaching. 6’6 is a good way to address our problems of not being able to defend corners. 8 million clause in there too if he’s worth it.

Personally I’m willing to put my trust into bielsa .... if he sees a player in cooper then so be it, same with the U23s . Bringing throug youth has always been a great aspect of our club and academy. People talk about BPF and Pearce like they’ve been here for 2 years and signed for mega bucks. Pearce wasn’t even the starting left back for the U23s at the start of last season, and now he’s talked about like he’s the first name on the team sheet.

Let’s just see how this plays out. Give the scouts and management time to get things over the line and judge things when we’ve played a couple of games. Even at this point in time we’re not even close to being the worst team in the division.

f**k it - I’m drawing a line in the sand and being positive. Anyone want to join me over here ?
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am Morning 1304, one thing for certain - Jerry is a definite no go.

Our entire squad will improve by:

A) The u23 players that will be joining the first team

B) The Summer cull

C) Better coaching and tactics

D) Fitter players

E) Sensible signings
Underrated reply - this speaks a lot of sense
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

to be honest - noone really knows what is going on behind the scenes.

regarding vydra and hernandez - all we're basing this on is media speculation. It dragged on for ages, but who's to say we didn't just enquire and then say no when seeing their wage demands. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Let's make sure we get the right players rather than rush into buying rubbish like before.

Blackman is a good signing, will be first choice I think next season. BPF providing back up.
hector

Post by hector »

Brader wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 am
f**k it - I’m drawing a line in the sand and being positive. Anyone want to join me over here ?
Yup, I 'm with you Brader... :tup:

The transfer window is still open, anything can happen, and the club are not giving any clues....

Things will happen..... I have every faith....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Brader wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 am Its always going to happen in the summer sadly. Leeds can be as tight lipped as possible when it comes to signings - however agents love to slip out stories to try haste clubs into upping their wages. I’m not too fussed by vydra - we already doubled our pay structure to tempt him here. If he thinks he can get 50k+ a week somewhere else then good luck to him. My memory isn’t short enough to forget about administration / goldfish / Seth Johnson so I’m more than happy to look at other sensible targets.

Blackman - really happy with him. Saw him a few times last season and I think he’s a really good talent if he can get the right coaching. 6’6 is a good way to address our problems of not being able to defend corners. 8 million clause in there too if he’s worth it.

Personally I’m willing to put my trust into bielsa .... if he sees a player in cooper then so be it, same with the U23s . Bringing throug youth has always been a great aspect of our club and academy. People talk about BPF and Pearce like they’ve been here for 2 years and signed for mega bucks. Pearce wasn’t even the starting left back for the U23s at the start of last season, and now he’s talked about like he’s the first name on the team sheet.

Let’s just see how this plays out. Give the scouts and management time to get things over the line and judge things when we’ve played a couple of games. Even at this point in time we’re not even close to being the worst team in the division.

Afternoon Brader and well said.

Believe it or not but Peacock-Farrell is actually 6ft 4, but every inch helps.... (a keeper) :roflmao:

We need to believe that with a better Coach / Manager even the same players will achieve more.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

danhirons wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:53 am to be honest - noone really knows what is going on behind the scenes.

regarding vydra and hernandez - all we're basing this on is media speculation. It dragged on for ages, but who's to say we didn't just enquire and then say no when seeing their wage demands. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Let's make sure we get the right players rather than rush into buying rubbish like before.

Blackman is a good signing, will be first choice I think next season. BPF providing back up.
Afternoon Dan. Let's just hope with Blackmans signature secured, it doesn't put BPF's nose out of joint too much.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:51 am I'm waiting for someone at ER to tell us 'We are working hard behind the scenes'

Meanwhile Radz is jollying abroad :roll:
I wouldn't worry too much about AR being on holiday as he completed a new tv rights deal for his company today. The days of businessmen needing to be in the office/boardrooms to do deals are long gone. Also unlikely that AR would get too involved in transfer deals as that is why he hires the likes of Orta and Kinnear.

I still think a lot of the links are completely false. Like with us being linked with Gunn and Stockdale yet Blackman was at the club training a couple of weeks ago. Hardly like we would be doing that and having him at Thorp Arch if he wasn't our 1st choice - yes maybe we still had our eye on Gunn but that was maybe just a tentative interest given that City were probably expecting to sell him and Stockdale always seems to be linked to us but it always seem to be more because he and his family are Leeds fans.

Agents know that linking their players with us can increase interest and likewise online websites now linking players with Leeds will ensure lots of people click on the links due to our fan base.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

hector wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:12 pm Yup, I 'm with you Brader... :tup:

The transfer window is still open, anything can happen, and the club are not giving any clues....

Things will happen..... I have every faith....
Afternoon Hector, I'm not one to sit on the fence - it would give way under my weight.

I'll join too...

Anyone else its £5 admin charge....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Watching the highlights which only really shows shot stopping I'd say BPF is better..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm Afternoon Brader and well said.

Believe it or not but Peacock-Farrell is actually 6ft 4, but every inch helps.... (a keeper) :roflmao:

We need to believe that with a better Coach / Manager even the same players will achieve more.
Usually the taller you are the slower to get down...BPF is the ideal height for a keeper
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Brader wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:44 am Underrated reply - this speaks a lot of sense
It's what I've been preaching...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm Usually the taller you are the slower to get down...BPF is the ideal height for a keeper
A lot depends more on the keeper's build than just the size. Blackman is the exact same height as Thibaut Courtois and I wouldn't really say he had a weakness getting down to shots.

On looking at Blackman's time at Sheff Utd last season it is promising. He was signed to be back up but started the season as first choice due to Sheff Utd's regular keeper (Simon Moore) getting injured. Blackman then held onto the place until he got injured and Moore took his place. However once Blackman was fit again he went straight back into the team. Again he stayed as first choice until another injury and again reclaimed the starting position once he got fit. He then lost the shirt again due to a sending off (and 3 match ban) but again as soon as his ban was over he was back in the starting line-up.

To keep out the regular keeper is promising and to then be straight back in after recovering from injuries and bans shows that he must have been doing very well.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I read he was dropped.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 am Still 4 quality players short for me plus a couple of decent back-up players in the positions I'm concerned about

A great deal to do before I'm convinced we have done enough, probably won't happen!
Still 2 cbs, 2 strikers, a winger short imo (assuming gk is sorted).
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom