Come on England.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Come on England.

Post by paddy parrott »

Come on England .
May I be one of so many football fans to wish them well . And best of luck to the England squad . The Competition is wide open so you never know. Good luck England and believe .
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Come on England.

Post by The Subhuman »

Underdogs for sure but that may be a good thing.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Perhaps as good a chance as for a long time, not sure they are ready yet, but boding well for the Euro's in 2 years time.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The draw has been kind to England from the qualifiers to the World Cup Finals, we will not face what I would call one of the big nations until the semi-finals if there are any left in the tournament that is with Germany, Spain & Argentina already out of the World Cup, England couldn't have wished for an easier draw :shock: this is our best opportunity of progressing to the semi's in many years without a shadow of a doubt

Good luck England :eng:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 pm Underdogs for sure but that may be a good thing.
I don't know about underdogs I think it's a pretty even call and if James Rodriquez is injured that tips the balance our way.

I know the FIFA rankings are a bit of a poor pointer alot of the time, but England are ranked higher than Colombia.

So fingers crossed, as I think this is the likely trickest game (if they win) to the final.
Last edited by Muppet the Cat on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

If you'd have said before the tournament we'd be facing Colombia then either Sweden or Switzerland and Russia or Croatia in the semi final we'd of bitten their hands off COME ON ENGLAND
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bally wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm If you'd have said before the tournament we'd be facing Colombia then either Sweden or Switzerland and Russia or Croatia in the semi final we'd of bitten their hands off COME ON ENGLAND
Indeed Bally we've got extremely lucky with the draw, all the same we still have to beat what is put in front of us !
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Mainly our own nerves and 52 years of barren hopes Leon. A lot of people don't understand that our best ever team was the 1970 lads who lost to West Germany when Banksy couldn't play and Alf subbed Bobby Charlton at half time.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I'd be delighted if England won, but I just don't think we have the overall class, although of course we could get lucky but, other than that, it would be nice to get a new name on the WC winners list
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:56 pm I'd be delighted if England won, but I just don't think we have the overall class, although of course we could get lucky but, other than that, it would be nice to get a new name on the WC winners list
Agree I think there are teams still left in the competition with far more experience & class who'll be too good for us in the end. It makes a change that we can all but hope for an England victory
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

on paper we should get through to the final now - though we all know how this doesn't usually transpire into reality!
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Norm wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:37 pm Mainly our own nerves and 52 years of barren hopes Leon. A lot of people don't understand that our best ever team was the 1970 lads who lost to West Germany when Banksy couldn't play and Alf subbed Bobby Charlton at half time.
That was such a good team and the only one Brazil were genuinely worried about .
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

billie1 wrote:

That was such a good team and the only one Brazil were genuinely worried about .
True billie, and to put it all into perspective, Pele credited us with that, especially after the "greatest save ever" (at the time) by Banks from Pele. Pele wheeled away shouting 'goal' but Banks, with his exceptional agility, palmed the ball up at the correct angle to put it over the net and Pele couldn't believe his eyes. Smashing stuff kiddo.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 pm Underdogs for sure but that may be a good thing.
The underdogs has disposed of Germany, Argentina, Spain, Portugal and Denmark.
Long live the underdogs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

England 70 team should go down in history as one of the top 10 of all time. Holland 74, Brazil 70, Argentina 78...and I would probably add Italy 70 too, what a team that was.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:13 pm England 70 team should go down in history as one of the top 10 of all time. Holland 74, Brazil 70, Argentina 78...and I would probably add Italy 70 too, what a team that was.
England 1970 and Brazil 1982 get my votes as easily the two best teams not to win the Cup.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

That 1970 World Cup was a cracker without doubt.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:13 pm England 70 team should go down in history as one of the top 10 of all time. Holland 74, Brazil 70, Argentina 78...and I would probably add Italy 70 too, what a team that was.
Agree with all that Faaip :tup: great teams, great players

Still fans insist Messi is the best ever even though he hasn't achieved the medals those players have in his career :shock:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:19 pm Agree with all that Faaip :tup: great teams, great players

Still fans insist Messi is the best ever even though he hasn't achieved the medals those players have in his career :shock:
Before teams used to cheat, before players went down like they've been shot and before players used to try to get their opponents sent off.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Christiano Ronaldo would never get in my top 50 of all time, neither does Maradona