The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 21 June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 21 June)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds have lost interest in Kyle Bartley!

The 27 yo centre back was our number 1 Summer target some weeks ago, but since the appointment of Bielsa, Leeds have completely lost interest in him.

Mistake or not?

According to a reliable source Leeds have been offered both Spurs central defender Juan Foyth and Citeh's 18 yo midfield sensation Phil Foden. We spoke about the Argentine central defender earlier in the week, whilst Foden is an England U18 international and BBC young sports personality of the year.

Millwall manager Neil Harris says he cannot wait to pit his wits against new Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa next season.

“He [Bielsa] is a very high-profile manager at club and international level,” said the Millwall chief. “He has a phenomenal CV. I really look forward to locking horns over the course of the season and meeting him, hopefully for a drink, after the game.

“It just shows the ability these huge clubs have at this level in attracting top people with experience.

“It is a foreign manager coming in again, he’ll have to adapt to Championship football – that’s his challenge. I’m sure if he is coming he will want to bring some brand new players with him – I don’t think it will be cheap.

“Leeds are certainly looking to move forward. We have seen Nottingham Forest spend £13 million on one player and Stoke – £10.5 million rising – for Benik Afobe from Wolves.

“So as soon as we start getting above ourselves, we just have to look at things like that. It is a reality check for us, that we are fighting with those clubs at the moment.

“It is a challenge we rose to last year and I fully expect us to do the same next year.”

Leeds have been linked to Chelsea’s Marco Van Ginkel

The 25-year-old midfielder officially signed for Chelsea in 2013, but he has made just 4 senior appearances during a 5-year stint which has seen him spend the majority of his career on loan.

His most recent spell was with PSV Eindhoven in the Dutch Eredivisie, and it’s fair to say he was a resounding success during his 18 month loan deal.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 21 June)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB

I wouldn't have said no to Bartley, but if we can do better, then I've no problem with us losing interest.

Getting a couple of loanees from the leading clubs could be a very good thing. Especially if they are younger players that they are trying to develop and keep rather than players they are trying to get rid of but no-one wants to buy.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Morning Matt,

For me, a fit and healthy Bartley would be a huge asset. But two serious knee injuries in a year makes me wary.

Lots of twitter chatter about both Foyth and Foden, these rumours appear to have some legs. Not sure we need both, tbh, of the two I'd go with Foyth as we are shy a partner for PJ.

F**k Millwall

Another midfielder? I wonder does Bielsa not rate any of the current lot, as we seem to be being linked with a lot of middle of the park players
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If Foden is that highly rated I'd guess there would be no chance for purchase after the loan. The Chelsea guy seems a better proposition but is he better than Klich? Both tearing it up in Holland it seems
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Unlikely, faaip, but if he's 25 and still hasn't broke through at Chelski, there may be a chance. Really think Klich deserves a fair crack at it, but perhaps Bielsa doesn't fancy him. Supposedly he already knows who from the current squad he wants to keep
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:44 am Hi EB

I wouldn't have said no to Bartley, but if we can do better, then I've no problem with us losing interest.

Getting a couple of loanees from the leading clubs could be a very good thing. Especially if they are younger players that they are trying to develop and keep rather than players they are trying to get rid of but no-one wants to buy.
Morning Harry, Bartley has had some serious injuries since leaving us a few seasons back, as you said, if we can do better.

It makes such a change to be linked to the cream of the crop, as apposed to the left overs (loanee wise).

It always astounded me how smaller clubs were able to raid get their hands on the best young talent - Now its our turn......
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 am Morning Matt,

For me, a fit and healthy Bartley would be a huge asset. But two serious knee injuries in a year makes me wary.

Lots of twitter chatter about both Foyth and Foden, these rumours appear to have some legs. Not sure we need both, tbh, of the two I'd go with Foyth as we are shy a partner for PJ.

F**k Millwall

Another midfielder? I wonder does Bielsa not rate any of the current lot, as we seem to be being linked with a lot of middle of the park players
Morning 1304, Foyth is a must imo. If we have been offered Foden, I'd take him like a shot. Our midfield lets us down year after year.

They can't keep hold of the ball, and they don't like the motor to cover every blade of grass for 90 minutes. On paper however when you look at our midfield they should in fact be a lot better than what they are imo.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt

The whole signings scenario will be totally different to just a few weeks ago. Now Bielsa has taken the reins expect an upgrade on the players arriving at ER, we can tossed the majority of the speculation we've read on various sites into the waste bin
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 am Unlikely, faaip, but if he's 25 and still hasn't broke through at Chelski, there may be a chance. Really think Klich deserves a fair crack at it, but perhaps Bielsa doesn't fancy him. Supposedly he already knows who from the current squad he wants to keep
Morning Faaip, Bielsa will know within the first week of training whether Klich fits into his plans or not. We have a large midfield which will need to be shortened.

I wonder whether Hernandez would have got the deal he had if Bielsa had been in charge at the back end of last season?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 am Good morning Matt

The whole signings scenario will be totally different to just a few weeks ago. Now Bielsa has taken the reins expect an upgrade on the players arriving at ER, we can tossed the majority of the speculation we've read on various sites into the waste bin
Morning Leon, yes, its a completely different ball game now.

Question for you - Was Pablo Hernandez as good as we give him credit for, or was he the best of a bad bunch?

Looking at our scenario then and now, Was it likely that we were going to try and build a squad around Pablo?

Are we going to now in your opinion?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Right choice imo.

Bartley was great for us, but thats his only great season and he is now 26, far to injury prone.

Foden would be a great signing, prefer we signed these players but if we are getting offered these talented lads lets not look a gift horse in the mouth. Although id prefer Diaz.

Foyth seems a sensible option, Spurs fans say good things about him.

Erm ok well thanks Neil for your view.

Cant see it, Van Ginkel is class but another loan? No thanks, doubt we can afford permanent. Rather see Klich get a chance if its a loan.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 am Right choice imo.

Bartley was great for us, but thats his only great season and he is now 26, far to injury prone.

Foden would be a great signing, prefer we signed these players but if we are getting offered these talented lads lets not look a gift horse in the mouth. Although id prefer Diaz.

Cant see it, Van Ginkel is class but another loan? No thanks, doubt we can afford permanent. Rather see Klich get a chance if its a loan.
Morning Cjay, Foden would be quite a coup for us. I can see players like O'Conner and Diaz going out on loan to league 2 clubs next season.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 am Right choice imo.

Unless Shog or O'Conner can make the step up full time (or Halme maybe) then we need a pair of CD's if we're going 3 at the back. One should be a Libero type
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

One player I forgot about is Lewie Coyle. It will be interesting to see how he's improved. Was Fleetwood Towns player of the year last season.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

DgNECUKW0AYD.jpg
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 am One player I forgot about is Lewie Coyle. It will be interesting to see how he's improved. Was Fleetwood Towns player of the year last season.
I expecting Lewie to return a strong player for us this season, needed him when Ayling was injured last January
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am Morning 1304, Foyth is a must imo. If we have been offered Foden, I'd take him like a shot. Our midfield lets us down year after year.

They can't keep hold of the ball, and they don't like the motor to cover every blade of grass for 90 minutes. On paper however when you look at our midfield they should in fact be a lot better than what they are imo.
Just been speaking to a Spurs fan, Foyth very highly thought of there. Seems we'd be getting a very good player if he comes
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:47 am Unless Shog or O'Conner can make the step up full time (or Halme maybe) then we need a pair of CD's if we're going 3 at the back. One should be a Libero type
Perhaps Klich could do that role?

Connor Coady was a very average midfielder before becoming a cb.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am Morning Cjay, Foden would be quite a coup for us. I can see players like O'Conner and Diaz going out on loan to league 2 clubs next season.
Afternoon Ell.

He would, know its only YouTube but his videos are very impressive, touch of the David Silva about him.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:13 pm Perhaps Klich could do that role?

Connor Coady was a very average midfielder before becoming a cb.
Maybe or Vierra, if coached up. Think we'd be best served using Klich as a forward thinking midfielder, the amount of chances he seems to create is an indicator of someone who knows what he's doing around the rivals box