Lionel Messi-Goated

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Lionel Messi-Goated

Post by Cjay »

Since we got a Ronaldo thread seems wrong to not have one for his great rival.

My praise for Ronnie as an athlete aside, Messi is the one i voted for as The Greatest of All time.

Think he is a genius, he doesnt dive, he is graceful, just a joy to watch.

Most people seem to prefer Messi, most polls have him winning.

Could post a video of his highlights, but think this one sums him up best.

Did you spot him meeting Ronaldo's son?
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Lionel Messi

Post by 1964white »

Both Messi & Ronaldo are world class
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Both fantastic players................but I know which one I'd rather go out for a pint with !! :moggy:
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Great performer, my personal favourite being "Stuck on you"................
hector

Post by hector »

Azkalwhite wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:49 am Great performer, my personal favourite being "Stuck on you"................
I see your confusion there Azkal...

You are thinking of the biscuit boy...

Lionel richtea
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

GOAT is Cruyff, then Pele. After that it's perm 1 from about 20
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:49 pm GOAT is Cruyff, then Pele. After that it's perm 1 from about 20
Nobody will ever convince me that Billy Bremner wasn't the greatest of all time. Heart of a lion that nobody, before or since, could match.

Flip a coin, Cruyff or Pele for true GOAT. If I were building a team I would take Messi ahead of Ronaldo; he has a more well-rounded, complete game in my humble opinion.

Messi's goal against Nigeria was one for the ages.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I think Messi is getting a little better than he was at influencing his teams game plan, plus he actually scored a goal with his right foot.

That is, imho, more noteworthy than you may think.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Harry Kane this Harry Kane that.

Not fit to lace the boots of this man.

Ran rings around Spurs yesterday.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Home fans applauding the away teams player, you dont see this often.
Signed

King Cjay

SelmaBamaMan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by SelmaBamaMan »

Messi is a world class forward and so is Ronaldo. Messi is also a world class attacking midfielder and a world class playmaker midfielder. Ronaldo is not. Messi has world class vision and world class short, medium, and long range passing ability. Ronaldo does not.

Until recently I thought Messi was the best ever. I think now that players cannot be compared to determine who is the best ever because: the ball was heavier in the past; the rules allowed play that is now considered a foul; and the pitches were not designed and maintained for optimum smooth roll of the ball, less height of bounce of the ball off the surface; and vastly differed in those respects from pitch to pitch.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Messi and Ronaldo would have been kicked to pieces in bygone eras, a bit like our own Eddie Gray. Amazing how teams got by with small squads and only 1 subs back then whereas now you fart within 10 metres of a player and they go down.
hector

Post by hector »

I was at Elland rd sometime in the mid-late 70's can't remember who we were playing, but we used our sub, and Eddie got crocked... he spent the majority of the 2nd half limping up and down the wing, as he would not come off and leave the team with only 10 players, he had the odd ball passed to him, but could do nothing but limp around... Maybe someone who is not in the Alzheimers club will remember that match......??
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Saw this stat today.

Eden Hazard club record this season.
47 games.
19 goals
13 assists.

Mo Salah.
48 games
25 goals
10 assists.

Lionel Messi
46 games
48 goals
16 assists.

Lionel Messi by himself in less games individually is only 3 goal contributions behind two of the best players in the Premier League combined and has actually scored more goals then the pair of them.

Its absolutely ridiculous :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

Messi was out for a month too
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Premier league probably more competive, la liga maybe 3 teams show up each season so I see where Messi bags all his goals. Modern day players I would take Messi any day absolutely fabulous be interested to see how he faired here although it will never happen.

Cruyff my favourite European player, always played with his head up could do everything. Bare in mind how physical the game was as well. My favourite team included him 74 Dutch side everyone a footballer, total football how they failed to win the world Cup beggars belief.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:27 am Premier league probably more competive, la liga maybe 3 teams show up each season so I see where Messi bags all his goals. Modern day players I would take Messi any day absolutely fabulous be interested to see how he faired here although it will never happen.

Cruyff my favourite European player, always played with his head up could do everything. Bare in mind how physical the game was as well. My favourite team included him 74 Dutch side everyone a footballer, total football how they failed to win the world Cup beggars belief.
The best team to not win the World Cup.

Total football, this video clip from YouTube, shows how to put pressure on your opponents when they have the ball.

Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:53 am The best team to not win the World Cup.

Total football, this video clip from YouTube, shows how to put pressure on your opponents when they have the ball.

A wonderful team Harry . I saw Cruyff play for Holland in a friendly at Wembley in 1977 . To this day I’ve never seen anything like at . Sublime . The Dutch in 1974 and the Brazilian team of 1982 are probably the finest sides I’ve ever seen ( I guess that’s contentious remembering the 1970 Brazil side ) .
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

billie1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 am A wonderful team Harry . I saw Cruyff play for Holland in a friendly at Wembley in 1977 . To this day I’ve never seen anything like at . Sublime . The Dutch in 1974 and the Brazilian team of 1982 are probably the finest sides I’ve ever seen ( I guess that’s contentious remembering the 1970 Brazil side ) .
Unfortunately I missed out on seeing the Dutch team and Cruyff at the time.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.