3-3-1-3 Squad Needs

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

3-3-1-3 Squad Needs

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I have to admit that I don't know much about this formation, but I'm assuming the middle 3 is actually RWB, DM, LWB - the other roles being fairly obvious.

That said I think it brings a new hope for guys like Anita and Dallas as WB's. On the other hand, it looks like bad news for our overload of midfielders and non-ball playing center backs.

At CB I see Cooper not fitting the bill. Could see Ayling moving to the middle. But we definitely need one more.

In Midfield we seem to have 5 guys (Forshaw, Viera, O'Kane, Philips, Klich) for one spot. Maybe Forshaw or someone could drop into a back 3. But we still seem to have 2 or 3 too many MC's.

In Attack - Hernandez and Saiz seem to fit the formation. The central striker role is obviously up for grabs. Not sure if Alioski is a fit up front. He might even find himself at wing back.

So maybe:
BPF - Ayling, Jansson, New Player - Dallas, Forshaw, Alioski - Hernandez - Saiz, New Player, New Player
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: 3-3-1-3 Squad Needs

Post by The Subhuman »

Looks a nasty and easy to beat formation to me, is it a glorified 541?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:29 pm Looks a nasty and easy to beat formation to me, is it a glorified 541?
I'm assuming it's wing backs. That could translate to 5-2-3
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ayling/Pearce wing backs, Don't think Ayling could play in a defensive 3 very well. Beradi probably could may suit him more. Going to need a ball playing sweeper, probably a new guy in.

Saiz or Hernandez in the maestro position, preferably Hernandez. Roofe and Alioski could play the wings. Both equally talented imo.

Klich Vierra centre mid, Forshaw as cover or new guy and Klich goes back to Holland.

Pair of new forwards needed
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Ayling started his career as a CB so I’d have thought Ayling in the back three as well as Berardi as things stand. When I watched a video of this Bielsa formation it was more about what he expects from the players than the formation.

Without the ball he expects every player to press super hard, no exceptions, with the ball fast pace attacking and he does switch to 4-2-3-1

Link to a good explanatory video

https://youtu.be/wDRVk4qvDX0
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 am Ayling started his career as a CB so I’d have thought Ayling in the back three as well as Berardi as things stand. When I watched a video of this Bielsa formation it was more about what he expects from the players than the formation.

Without the ball he expects every player to press super hard, no exceptions, with the ball fast pace attacking and he does switch to 4-2-3-1

Link to a good explanatory video

https://youtu.be/wDRVk4qvDX0
Ayling is one of few players in our current squad with an abundance of energy which is what will be required in Bielsa's formation & style of play. Ayling won't be going all soft & wimpy asking his coach "can I come off boss as I'm tired" :roll:
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

1964white wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:23 am Ayling is one of few players in our current squad with an abundance of energy which is what will be required in Bielsa's formation & style of play. Ayling won't be going all soft & wimpy asking his coach "can I come off boss as I'm tired" :roll:
Based solely on Bielsa style of play, Berardi, Ayling and Dallas are starters. Saiz and Pablo will have to rotate the 10 spot, although I personally like Alioski he will need to up his physical game, he can’t afford to role around on the ground.

I’m looking forward to seeing the first couple of signings through the door, we’re going to need a new keeper, an experienced one happy with ball to feet playing a simple link up passing game at the back, there won’t be many long kicks out.

One of the most important players is going to be the central CB, we just can’t start the season with Cooper playing in that position.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 am Based solely on Bielsa style of play, Berardi, Ayling and Dallas are starters. Saiz and Pablo will have to rotate the 10 spot, although I personally like Alioski he will need to up his physical game, he can’t afford to role around on the ground.

I’m looking forward to seeing the first couple of signings through the door, we’re going to need a new keeper, an experienced one happy with ball to feet playing a simple link up passing game at the back, there won’t be many long kicks out.

One of the most important players is going to be the central CB, we just can’t start the season with Cooper playing in that position.
I'll be surprised if Berardi, Cooper, Alioski or Dallas are regular starters in Bielsa's XI.

Always said we'll never be successful with Cooper in our team, he is lower championship/L1 centre-back

Berardi needs to find his old form, can't see where he will fit in tbh as I think Ayling & Coyle could be in front of Gaetano come the new season

Alioski & Dallas are triers but not good enough imo !

Saiz also needs to shape up & owes our fans favours big-time
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Beradi could be the right sided defender, he's very comfortable on the ball and decent passer
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

faaip wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am Beradi could be the right sided defender, he's very comfortable on the ball and decent passer
I think left sided and Ayling right. The video clip detailing Bielsa style of play means the defensive trio are only expected to perform short ball passing, they are not expected to hit a 30-40 yard pass. Berardi was exposed too much last season, if those in front of him do their job I think he still has something to offer.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

The discipline really must be also a priority, we have to improve this aspect of not been caught with stupid suspensions year on year
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I still think at least half of the players we are discussing won't feature in Bielsa's First XI
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Whoever plays had got to be super fit and prepared to give their all, can’t see any player staying on the pitch long if they are strolling about, like many of our players last season.

Couple of current players who may benefit from the new style of play (if they stay) Roofe and Ekuban both fast and full of energy
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't