Champions League Final : Liverpool v Real Madrid

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Champions League Final : Liverpool v Real Madrid

Post by 1964white »

Looking forward to this game

Should be a cracker, goals galore hopefully

Live on BT Sport & YOUTUBE (FREE for all to view) - 7.45pm kick-off

Screenshot 2018-05-26 at 08.37.58.png
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Champions League Final : Liverpool v Real Madrid

Post by beer belly bert »

cant stand Ronaldo but hope he gets a hat trick against the bin dippers from the city of pity , some thing is bound to happen which wont be the poor scousers fault .
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

In any international event I'm always for the English team first (even scum), followed by any team from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland, so I'll be rooting for the scousers.

I can't stand Ronaldo either and I hope his Brylcreem turns to sludge.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:08 am In any international event I'm always for the English team first (even scum), followed by any team from Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales or Scotland, so I'll be rooting for the scousers.

I can't stand Ronaldo either and I hope his Brylcreem turns to sludge.
This, good luck to Liverpool today.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Hope Liverpool win (English team) and would hate for a team to win football's elite tournament three times in a row...
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

danhirons wrote:
Hope Liverpool win (English team) and would hate for a team to win football's elite tournament three times in a row...
I agree, with the caveat "Unless it was Leeds". I know, fat chance and all that but I have to hope.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Norm wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 am I agree, with the caveat "Unless it was Leeds". I know, fat chance and all that but I have to hope.
Of course! 😂
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

beer belly bert wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 am cant stand Ronaldo but hope he gets a hat trick against the bin dippers from the city of pity , some thing is bound to happen which wont be the poor scousers fault .
A pathetic post....but true to form....hope you feel proud of it....one to show the grandchildren.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Ronan wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:43 am A pathetic post....but true to form....hope you feel proud of it....one to show the grandchildren.
ain

been a while since i yanked your chain Ronnie , LOVE IT
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

beer belly bert wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:01 am ain

been a while since i yanked your chain Ronnie , LOVE IT
You are the cream of humanity.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:11 am This, good luck to Liverpool today.
Leeds United’s first ever title success at the top level of the game came after a showdown between the two deadly but mutually respectful rivals on April 28 1969. Leeds had come to Anfield knowing that a point would clinch the league, and they set out their stall as only they could to obtain that point, in the toughest place possible.

On the final whistle, as the Leeds players cavorted with joy in front of their delirious fans at this first delightful taste of being The Best – and as the weary Liverpool troops, having given their all in vain, sportingly congratulated the new Champions – Revie came over to Billy Bremner and confirmed to him that he was to lead his team over to the Kop. This, remember, was at a time when crowd violence was becoming very fashionable. A similar gesture at the Theatre of Hollow Myths down Trafford way, and sundry other less-than-welcoming grounds around the country, might very well have got you a crack on the head with a pool ball or a dart in the eye. It did rather seem to be pushing things a bit – but Revie was insistent, and he was very definitely The Boss.

So it happened that Billy Bremner, captain of champions Leeds United, gathered his players together and led them on a long, slow walk to the legendary Anfield Kop. When it was realised what was happening, a hush fell on the ground. In near-silence, the heroes in white walked on, nearer and nearer to the most iconic terrace of them all.

On the night, Bremner had won the toss for Leeds, and had elected to make the Reds attack the Kop in the first half; a tactical ploy that went against the home side’s preference for a second half onslaught on their favourite end. So the Leeds players had to walk nearly the length of the pitch to approach the massed Liverpool fans behind the Kop goal, and with every passing second, the silence became more loaded – almost a solid thing you might cut with a knife. Leeds United were asking for it – what would they get?

What they did get is now the stuff of legend and has passed deservedly into United and Liverpool folklore. As the triumphant yet apprehensive Leeds warriors finally neared the Kop, the long silence was finally broken as the first cry of “Champions!” went up, swiftly echoed by others on the still-packed terrace – until finally the whole 27,000 population of that mighty hill were acclaiming the title-winners with the same shout, over and over again: “Champions! Champions! Champions!!”

This was completely unprecedented; a moment unparalleled before or since, something to raise the hairs on the back of your neck, the ultimate acknowledgement of respect and admiration even out of defeat – and a massive credit to the football fans of Liverpool FC. It was the epitome of true rivalry between two crack teams, forged out of one of the grisliest on-field battles any football ground had witnessed for many a long year. No finer tribute could have been paid by any fans, anywhere – and the Leeds players stayed out there, in front of the Kop, for a good quarter of an hour or more, paying their respects to both sets of fans.

Later, in the dressing room, Leeds celebrated anew with champagne provided by Bill Shankly, whose quote was short and to the point: ‘Leeds United are worthy champions,’ he said. ‘They are a great side.’ Revie responded by praising Liverpool, the club, the fans and their fine team. ‘The reception given us by the sporting Liverpool crowd was truly magnificent,’ he acknowledged, ‘and so, for that matter, was our defence tonight. It was superb in everything.’ The conduct and bearing of both managers was a mark of the relationship between the two top clubs in the land – and a marked contrast to the ungraceful reaction of Alex Ferguson at the same venue 23 years later, after the Leeds of 1992 had pipped his charges to the Last Championship Title and he, characteristically, dripped bile and acid all over the occasion.

Sadly, those days are gone, never to return. But for those lucky enough to be able to remember it was a night of triumph and disaster, as these decisive nights tend to be, depending on whether you were White or Red; but it was also, let us not forget, a night of dignity, respect and utter, unalloyed class – not least from those 27,000 Liverpool fans on the Anfield Kop.

OK that was almost 50yrs ago now, but I don't understand why any English footie fan would want Liverpool to get beat this evening.
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Ronan wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:38 am You are the cream of humanity.
xx Ronnie + Bert xx
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

A lot of respect for Liverpool and their magnificent fans ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

beer belly bert wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 am cant stand Ronaldo but hope he gets a hat trick against the bin dippers from the city of pity , some thing is bound to happen which wont be the poor scousers fault .
:rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Incredible to think that Liverpool haven't won the First Division/Premiership in over thirty years but could win be champions of Europe tonight

Modern day football eh !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We're off :)

Hopefully one of the games of the season
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:50 pm We're off :)

Hopefully one of the games of the season
Looking forward to this one, glass of wine in hand, even Mr Swan watching with me :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:59 pm Looking forward to this one, glass of wine in hand, even Mr Swan watching with me :)
Glass of sherry for Jill & I :wine:
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

Watching on you tube and just realised why bt are crap , the commentators are shocking and mc’manaman is so sad
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Real living dangerously, some important blocks & a marvellous save from Navas