Forgot to introduce myself...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Forgot to introduce myself...

Post by fred »

Well, I`m an arrogant, self-centred, unfriendly, lecturing Leeds fan.
Hope and believe that nothing of this has shown in my posts so far.
After all I see myself also as very self-critical, honest, judicious person way beyond
the average.
Hm...I believe that`s about it put in a nutshell, guys.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Forgot to introduce myself...

Post by 1964white »

fred wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:43 am Well, I`m an arrogant, self-centred, unfriendly, lecturing Leeds fan.
Hope and believe that nothing of this has shown in my posts so far.
After all I see myself also as very self-critical, honest, judicious person way beyond
the average.
Hm...I believe that`s about it put in a nutshell, guys.
Well you fooled me Fred ;-)
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Daint think I did as well :duno:
Anyhoo im liggy thick as mince
but happy...ends :clapp:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 am Daint think I did as well :duno:
Anyhoo im liggy thick as mince
but happy...ends :clapp:
I think you are underestimating yourself Liggy
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Thanks Leon, Liggy...hadn`t reckoned with such overwhelming responses (quality wise!)
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Herisau, Switzerland, I assume Fred.
If true, the nearest I've been to your town is Brunnen, where the members of our school trip HQd for about 10 days in 1960.
Fantastic experience for me, going up various mountains and 1 trip by train through the Gotthard tunnel to Como in northern Italy.
I hope you don't mind me asking but, are you Swiss or did you choose to live there?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Greatest playground game I ever played was called Fred...never seen or heard of it played anywhere else but my middle school. We had leagues and everything
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

faaip wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:57 am Greatest playground game I ever played was called Fred...never seen or heard of it played anywhere else but my middle school. We had leagues and everything
:tup:
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Norm wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:56 am Herisau, Switzerland, I assume Fred.
If true, the nearest I've been to your town is Brunnen, where the members of our school trip HQd for about 10 days in 1960.
Fantastic experience for me, going up various mountains and 1 trip by train through the Gotthard tunnel to Como in northern Italy.
I hope you don't mind me asking but, are you Swiss or did you choose to live there?
Norm,
you assume correct.
I`m neither Swiss nor chose to live hear.
As a child my father decided to come to Zürich as it
had the best Job offers at the ETH.
Moved a bit around since, but somehow have landed here
in Herisau for quite some years.
Could have got a Swiss passport, but I never saw any real sense
in doing so. (Military service etc.)
The nearest mountain, 2500 m, is in sight, so quite special
landscape in comparison to Yorkshire. But then: Yorkshire has
great landscapes too...just different.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

fred wrote:

Norm,
you assume correct.
I`m neither Swiss nor chose to live hear.
As a child my father decided to come to Zürich as it
had the best Job offers at the ETH.
Moved a bit around since, but somehow have landed here
in Herisau for quite some years.

Could have got a Swiss passport, but I never saw any real sense
in doing so. (Military service etc.)

The nearest mountain, 2500 m, is in sight, so quite special
landscape in comparison to Yorkshire. But then: Yorkshire has
great landscapes too...just different.
Yeah, just think, you might have been guarding the Vatican.
I'm really not being disrespectful when I say they look like a group of Henry VIII wannabees in their uniforms, although they have a fierce reputation. You could always apply for a separate Swiss passport, after conscription age (depending what age you are), Switzerland being in EFTA (imo what the UK should have entered instead of the EU).
hector

Post by hector »

did some training with the Swiss guard once upon a time ago... You are right Norm, some real hard barstewards there and most had no fear at all (which is not necessarily a good thing) and were complete nutters.......
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Norm wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:20 pm Yeah, just think, you might have been guarding the Vatican.
I'm really not being disrespectful when I say they look like a group of Henry VIII wannabees in their uniforms, although they have a fierce reputation. You could always apply for a separate Swiss passport, after conscription age (depending what age you are), Switzerland being in EFTA (imo what the UK should have entered instead of the EU).
The Vatikan guards...lol...I may live in Switzerland, doesn`t mean I appreciate everything with the logo `Swiss`.
I guess besides being Swiss, you must be a dogmatic catholic, probably gay and have no sense of humour at all.
As I`m not gay (nothing against people being gay of course), not catholic, and have a quite well-marked sense of
humor and irony in regard to some sides of humanity (and idiotic non-fuctional outfits), I wouldn`t be concidered nor would I want to be concidered.

And yes: I could get a Swiss passport if I wanted (although the process can be a bit `degrading`). Unless I would go and live for more than half a year in a foreign country it wouldn`t really matter or make a big difference (not being able to vote I can live with...and much too old for military or similar activities...I`m 54 years old.)
If I would live (not down to Job matters) for longer outside of Switzerland I would lose my permanent residents permit (as for example my sister who lives in Sweden.) Of course if you are a billionaire they`ll welcome you with open hands...
Last edited by fred on Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

hector wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:23 pm did some training with the Swiss guard once upon a time ago... You are right Norm, some real hard barstewards there and most had no fear at all (which is not necessarily a good thing) and were complete nutters.......
What? Training? Explain a bit more in detail...in what mission or function or purpose?
Sounds scary in my ears...lol...some insider stories show other sides of some of the guards (not much
different to being a catholic priest with similar side-effects for some I guess.)
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I was thinking, Fred, about the opportunities you can sometimes get by having 2 independent passports, as opposed to having a UK citizenship and the equivalent of a Swiss Green Card. You may be surprised at the difference between a Green Card and a passport old son.
Anyway, no more on the subject from me, just thought I'd elaborate a tad - it's your choice what you do.
hector

Post by hector »

fred wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:05 am What? Training? Explain a bit more in detail...in what mission or function or purpose?
Sounds scary in my ears...lol...some insider stories show other sides of some of the guards (not much
different to being a catholic priest with similar side-effects for some I guess.)
We gave them instruction in counter terrorism and close protection..... and secure comms whilst on operations.. The ones I met were far from the Catholic Priest alikes..... :shock: :shock:

:)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

hector wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:52 am We gave them instruction in counter terrorism and close protection..... and secure comms whilst on operations.. The ones I met were far from the Catholic Priest alikes..... :shock: :shock:

:)
lol...well, there have been guards who were dismissed because of certain actvities I believe.
But if they are to be of any use, then they certainly must have some serious relevant abilities I guess.

Admission Standards for bein a Swiss guard are:

Swiss nationality
catholic
Not married (!)
Good repute
Finished apprenticaship or Swiss `matur` (compareable to A-Levels)
19 to 30 years old
At least 174 cm tall.
Absolved basic Swiss military school (17 weeks)
Fully fit for military service
Being able to cope with the challenges of professional safety service.

I personally would have my problems to interact with the mind-set of these people I fear.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Hey Fred, sorry but one last question - Switzerland has (or had) 4 official languages, French, German, Italian and some Swiss variant. I'm guessing your official language is German but I don't know where the boundaries are. You could possibly be multilingual. Schweiz fascinated me.