Director of Football

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Director of Football

Post by Cjay »

Not a popular role amongst many English football fans.

Traditionalists argue a manager should be in charge of everything.

"Sack Orta" they cry.

But isnt that just hanging on to the past?

Similar to how our fans seem to want ageing English managers, Sam Allardyce, Mick McCarthy etc.

"Big Sam would never work under a DOF".

But he did at Everton, Steve Walsh.

Mick McCarthy to, Dave Bowman.

In fact most clubs in the premier league have a Director of Football, maybe not in name but the duties match whatever the title.

Marina Granovskaia - Chelsea, "she is mainly responsible for player transactions" a line from the Chelsea website.

She isnt called a Director of Football, but her role is similar to what most people assume a DOF does.

Les Reed -Southampton.
Txiki Begiristain-Manchester City.

There's others, but Director of Footballs do have there uses.

Ask Pep where he'd be without his close friend and Director of Football?

Thats the key though imo.

DOFs and Managers or Head Coaches or whatever, they have to be on the same page.

I dont think ours are.

Victor Orta and Paul Heckingbottom, you couldn't get 2 more different people.

One learned his trade at a Spanish giant under a scouting legend. The other is a lower league player from Barnsley.

We have already seen disagreement between the two.

Hecky wanted Andy Yiadom and wants Oli McBurnie. This is factual according to respected journalists.

Orta and Leeds didnt want Yiadom, they refused to go in for him.

And McBurnie is at best a back up option for the club, Hecky's preferred choice.

Hecky talked about wanting to build a team in "his image".

But that doesnt match up with the visions of DOF Victor Orta (and Owner Radz).

Hecky is a traditionalist, you only have to listen to him to know that, second balls, fighting and passion and all that.

He is in the mould of the aforementioned Sam and Mick.

He like good ole grit, ger it forward etc etc.

That isnt the remit Orta has from the top, thats not the type of player he is after.

And alas this is where problems begin.

A DOF and Manager with different visions, until one of them goes or changes we wont move forward.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Director of Football

Post by The Subhuman »

Like any relationship it'll take time to mature ....I get this is another piss off Heck post and I'm not against that but the argument doesn't hold water for me. Plus do we want an Orta yes man?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:06 pm Like any relationship it'll take time to mature ....I get this is another piss off Heck post and I'm not against that but the argument doesn't hold water for me. Plus do we want an Orta yes man?
Orta isnt going anywhere, he is here whether we like it or not.

At least he has some proven record in this league, Traore, Forshaw, Gestede, Rhodes, Ramirez, Bamford, all decent proven players at this level.

Dont want a yes man, of course not, but thats what we have now.

Id rather a manager who will stand up to Orta.

For that we need a decent name in there own right.

DOF isnt the problem, its conflicting ideas.

Knowing what we do know about the club refusing Heck's targets how can he stay and maintain the respect of the players?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have no problem with Orta, no idea why he couldn't work with Heck. No guarantee he gets on with a manager from Spain, Portugal or Italy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I suspect part of the problem might be the style (or lack thereof) of football that PH employs. Radz and Orta, rightly or wrongly, want to adopt a continental style. Players were bought, predominantly for the junior sides admittedly, with that in mind. PH has identified two journeymen from his old club, players that, with the best will in the world, don't fit that style. Makes how PH retains his post even harder to understand, but there you go. Cjay's point re a coach used to the DOF system, but one with enough clout to say 'Victor, here's who/what I need for this team, go get them', is a good one. Pro or anti, the current incumbent is not that man. The type of player we've been linked with (Bartley, Hernandez) suggests the management have learnt some lessons re calibre and the wages required to get that calibre. It's not a huge leap to suggest that a better calibre of coach is also required.

P.S faaip, Stoke have just signed Rowett, so he ain't coming. Shame, I'd have liked him here too
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson