O/T Royal Wedding

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: O/T Royal Wedding

Post by AndyG »

1964white wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 pm My god where do I start

Old traditions diminishing/dying

Sporting Events
Local cricket/bowls clubs
Record shops
Banks
Building Societies
Pubs
High Street shops
Religion
Meaning of Christmas
Bonfire night
Morris dancing in villages
Communicating & caring with your neighbours
Respect, humanity & courtesy
a) (holding doors open for someone behind you)
b) (giving up your seat for a lady/pensioner on public transport)
Children playing out in streets & on parks
Children showing a lack of respect to adults
Comedy/sense of humour down to the pc world that we now live in !
Nice cut and paste list there, most of it meaningless, (Morris dancing in villages?lol). Most of it not even true.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:53 pm Nice cut and paste list there, most of it meaningless, (Morris dancing in villages?lol). Most of it not even true.
Not cut & paste at all.

All came to mind when i got my thinking cap on. Also not meaningless whatsoever, at least ten of those traditions important to me. Please respect my views Andy
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:59 pm Not cut & paste at all.

All came to mind when i got my think cap on. Also not meaningless whatsoever, at least ten of those traditions important to me. Please respect my views Andy
64, I think Andy has a point with the Morris Dancing......... but on all the others I'm with you absolutely !!
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

1964white wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:59 pm Not cut & paste at all.

All came to mind when i got my think cap on. Also not meaningless whatsoever, at least ten of those traditions important to me. Please respect my views Andy
Morris dancing in villages came to mind? Ok.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:30 pm Morris dancing in villages came to mind? Ok.
Fair enough Andy

Although I'm a city boy born & bred in Leeds, I've lived rurally for 35 years in four different villages, two of them use to have morris dancing fetes. I also recall as a kid watching morris dancing in Barwick-in-Elmet . Personally I don't see the attraction as I detest dancing of any type especially as I have two left feet :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:03 pm 64, I think Andy has a point with the Morris Dancing......... but on all the others I'm with you absolutely !!
I assume you are of a similar age to me Cat (within ten years I guess) so I thought you'd agree :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So.....

.........who won?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

Sporting Events - We still have thousands of sporting events
Local cricket/bowls clubs - We still have local cricket and bowls
Record shops - Record shops have gone because we download all our music...our fault
Banks - Banks have closed because we all bank online...our fault
Building Societies - I've been with the same Building Society for 30 years
Pubs - Pubs are closing because we by cheap booze from supermarkets and drink at home...our fault
High Street shops - Closing because we don't shop there anymore...our fault
Religion - Christianity is dying out because we don't believe or go to church anymore...our fault
Meaning of Christmas - Still means what it's always meant...religious myth
Bonfire night - We still have that where l live
Morris dancing in villages - Nobody banned it, anyone is welcome to do it
Communicating & caring with your neighbours - I don't know where you live but we are always in contact with neighbours and doing shopping and collecting pensions for old folk
Respect, humanity & courtesy - You think the whole population has lost respect, humanity and courtesy? Again, l don't know where you live but that's not my experience
a) (holding doors open for someone behind you) - Not true. Very few people don't do that
b) (giving up your seat for a lady/pensioner on public transport) - Don't use so don't know
Children playing out in streets & on parks - Agree with that, too much traffic to play safely
Children showing a lack of respect to adults - No, never experienced that. Kids are the same as they've ever been
Comedy/sense of humour down to the pc world that we now live in ! - Racist comics like Jim Davidson are a thing of the past, which is a good thing in my opinion
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 pm Sporting Events - We still have thousands of sporting events
Local cricket/bowls clubs - We still have local cricket and bowls
Record shops - Record shops have gone because we download all our music...our fault
Banks - Banks have closed because we all bank online...our fault
Building Societies - I've been with the same Building Society for 30 years
Pubs - Pubs are closing because we by cheap booze from supermarkets and drink at home...our fault
High Street shops - Closing because we don't shop there anymore...our fault
Religion - Christianity is dying out because we don't believe or go to church anymore...our fault
Meaning of Christmas - Still means what it's always meant...religious myth
Bonfire night - We still have that where l live
Morris dancing in villages - Nobody banned it, anyone is welcome to do it
Communicating & caring with your neighbours - I don't know where you live but we are always in contact with neighbours and doing shopping and collecting pensions for old folk
Respect, humanity & courtesy - You think the whole population has lost respect, humanity and courtesy? Again, l don't know where you live but that's not my experience
a) (holding doors open for someone behind you) - Not true. Very few people don't do that
b) (giving up your seat for a lady/pensioner on public transport) - Don't use so don't know
Children playing out in streets & on parks - Agree with that, too much traffic to play safely
Children showing a lack of respect to adults - No, never experienced that. Kids are the same as they've ever been
Comedy/sense of humour down to the pc world that we now live in ! - Racist comics like Jim Davidson are a thing of the past, which is a good thing in my opinion
Andy, my wife is a primary school teacher and some of the stories she comes back with regarding kids behaviour would make your toes curl..................children of 6/7yrs old telling teachers to F Off and use of the 'C' word, not being unknown.
When I was in Comprehensive in the mid/late '70s no kids, not even the supposedly roughest kids in the school would ever dream of using language like that to a teacher............it was just a line that wasn't crossed (maybe the consequence of a cane across your backside had something to do with it ?). Regrettably there is no line any more for some !
AndyG
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by AndyG »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:48 pm Andy, my wife is a primary school teacher and some of the stories she comes back with regarding kids behaviour would make your toes curl..................children of 6/7yrs old telling teachers to F Off and use of the 'C' word, not being unknown.
When I was in Comprehensive in the mid/late '70s no kids, not even the supposedly roughest kids in the school would ever dream of using language like that to a teacher............it was just a line that wasn't crossed (maybe the consequence of a cane across your backside had something to do with it ?). Regrettably there is no line any more for some !
I was was at school at the same time as you and I agree, that wouldn't have been acceptable, but who are we blaming for this? These are the children of our children you're talking about, so don't we have some responsibility for this?

The whole theme of 64's list was that society has gone down the pan, (which I don't agree with btw) and that somehow it's someone else's fault. Well this is the country that WE built and whatever's wrong is our responsibility. It's no good trying to blame anyone else.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Actually, it is someone else's fault. Parents are near banned from proper spanking and schools can't cane the kids at the same time. All sanctions have been removed by left wing 'children don't lie' idiots and kids nowadays are just as venal as ever. The problem is, they can't be punished now.

Now, did the parents do that? - no!
Did the schools do that? - no!
So who did that? - the left wing, in the name of "The children must express themselves" and "they shouldn't be abused" by corporal punishment. It wasn't ever abuse, it was simple discipline, and it's gone. We are witnessing the consequences.
hector

Post by hector »

Norm wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:27 am Actually, it is someone else's fault. Parents are near banned from proper spanking and schools can't cane the kids at the same time. All sanctions have been removed by left wing 'children don't lie' idiots and kids nowadays are just as venal as ever. The problem is, they can't be punished now.

Now, did the parents do that? - no!
Did the schools do that? - no!
So who did that? - the left wing, in the name of "The children must express themselves" and "they shouldn't be abused" by corporal punishment. It wasn't ever abuse, it was simple discipline, and it's gone. We are witnessing the consequences.
Well said Norm :tup:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm That's a line that's often trotted out by Royalists but please explain how that works exactly.
Figure at least 5.000 foreign tourists in town to see the parade, spending an average of 2,000 quid each. Figure also that a lot of potential tourists are lured to the UK because of all the pomp and circumstance they saw on television today. It's the best possible advertisement for London tourism. There is also the economic multiplier effect at play (the effect caused by tourists coming to visit and going home while leaving their money behind).
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Apologies for on topic
A posh car was spotted in Blyth at around 11,30pm last neet
My Royal spy in Newbiggin told me the hushed up destination
Is Seahouses, then tea with Sir Henry Percy and their lass at ALNWICK Castle..... Ends

Sir liggy u r royal correspondence
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:29 am Apologies for on topic
A posh car was spotted in Blyth at around 11,30pm last neet
My Royal spy in Newbiggin told me the hushed up destination
Is Seahouses, then tea with Sir Henry Percy and their lass at ALNWICK Castle..... Ends

Sir liggy u r royal correspondence
The 64's are heading to Seahouses once again in September :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:19 pm
The whole theme of 64's list was that society has gone down the pan, (which I don't agree with btw) and that somehow it's someone else's fault. Well this is the country that WE built and whatever's wrong is our responsibility. It's no good trying to blame anyone else.
Truth is society has gone down the pan

Agree that we are responsible for our own downfall to a certain extent but rules, regulations, restructuring, selfishness & greed have killed many traditions
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

1964white wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:38 am The 64's are heading to Seahouses once again in September :-D
Morning M.. Heading up that way in 1/2 hour
Taking Sandra to Amble Market then onto Warkworth for a stroll, you can walk from Warkworth beach to
Alnmouth its a great place.
She's had it canny rough lately, so I've booked us in to the ship at Newton by the sea for a bite to chew,

PS Chillingham Castle is a beautiful to spend a night when you're up this way,
If you're ever stuck for digs I can put yous up in my sitting cabin doon the allotment
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sporting events

Yes there are 1000's of sporting events, but take two sports in particular football & cricket

Football

FA Cup Final day use to be special during the 60's, 70's & 80's, a whole day was spent on the build up to the big game when millions watched the game, now apart from the respective club fans the majority of football fans are not bothered about the cup final any longer.

League Cup Final is almost a non-event for the majority of football fans

The prospect of Liverpool winning next weeks Champions League Final even though they finished 4th in the premiership last season & haven't won a league title in nearly thirty years is a joke !

Football fans have lost interest in much of the game apart from their respective clubs due to the to SKY TV & the intervention of the premiership which has brought greed, cheating, arrogance to what was once the beautiful game

How many fans watch Match Of The Day these days, a program that was always a traditional watch for all football fans

Cricket

Most cricket purists are only interested in the County Championship four day game plus five day Test matches, unfortunately the numbers watching traditional cricket is diminishing as the younger brigade have clamoured for the one day stuff over the last thirty years
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:16 am Morning M.. Heading up that way in 1/2 hour
Taking Sandra to Amble Market then onto Warkworth for a stroll, you can walk from Warkworth beach to
Alnmouth its a great place.
She's had it canny rough lately, so I've booked us in to the ship at Newton by the sea for a bite to chew,

PS Chillingham Castle is a beautiful to spend a night when you're up this way,
If you're ever stuck for digs I can put yous up in my sitting cabin doon the allotment
Ha ha :-D

Newton-by-the sea is a lovely village, we sat outside & had a drink taking in the views at The Ship last year. We've also visited Alnmouth twice I believe Liggy

Northumbria is a well kept secret, a beautiful place

Enjoy your day Liggy & Sandra
1964white

Post by 1964white »

AndyG wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:22 pm Local cricket/bowls clubs - We still have local cricket and bowls
We still do in our area but all the vlllages are struggling to attract new members to replace the current ageing players. Younger folk are not interested nowadays. Two members have voiced their concerns to me recently that in the next ten years there'll be very few clubs in existence !

More later on record shops....... :)