Post season tour

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post season tour

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Leeds United will travel to Myanmar (Burma as was) at the end of the season to play two friendlies on the 9th & 11th May, sounds like a PR exercise to get the LUFC name out there. It’s a good idea but have they thought about all the political unrest over there and the advice is not to travel only unless it’s absolutely necessary.
gessa

Re: Post season tour

Post by gessa »

It does seem a strange place to go with what is going on out there. It's not as though there isn't a big world out there.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Radz has media interests over there apparently, just the small matter of a 13,000km round trip if you want to travel :shock:
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

The place that the games are taking place is outside the areas deemed unsafe. Wonder how much cash we’re making from this move.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Post season tour? Aren't they always complaining about playing too much football?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'll have better things to do on my birthday :bckake: :tumbler:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 am Post season tour? Aren't they always complaining about playing too much football?
They are Harry

Another jolly for Radz & his lethargic boys as oppose to playing in the proper stuff......the play-offs
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Seems a strange idea to have a post season tour. At the end of the season regardless of how the team has done I am sure the players simply want to get a break from it all and wind down. Regardless of how they have played etc etc they will have weary bodies and injury niggles.

Still in this day and age money is all that is important and it may be that several of the players who go on the trip might not be playing for us next season.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Maybe a chance for PH to have a closer look at players returning from loan before deciding on next seasons transfer list?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm Maybe a chance for PH to have a closer look at players returning from loan before deciding on next seasons transfer list?
Good point Richard
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:02 pm Seems a strange idea to have a post season tour. At the end of the season regardless of how the team has done I am sure the players simply want to get a break from it all and wind down. Regardless of how they have played etc etc they will have weary bodies and injury niggles.

Still in this day and age money is all that is important and it may be that several of the players who go on the trip might not be playing for us next season.
That was my first thought, sure the players will be overjoyed about being "selected" for that tour - think we'll see a few calf strains rear their heads.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Ethically this is so wrong this tour. There is all sort going on out there at the moment. Surely we could have come up with a less controversial tour that was still financially attractive !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Gurj wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:30 pm Ethically this is so wrong this tour. There is all sort going on out there at the moment. Surely we could have come up with a less controversial tour that was still financially attractive !
Morally inappropriate, too. In my opinion this gives tacit approval to an oppressive regime. The club should not be going anywhere near the place.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:08 pm Maybe a chance for PH to have a closer look at players returning from loan before deciding on next seasons transfer list?
I think we only have Coyle out on loan, maybe Wilkes too. Can't think of anyone else so would seem a bit strange although possibly the most logical reason yet.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

weasel wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:12 pm I think we only have Coyle out on loan, maybe Wilkes too. Can't think of anyone else so would seem a bit strange although possibly the most logical reason yet.
I could be wrong but aren’t Murphy, Antonsson and Klich also loaned out?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The kid from Japan too, shame Klich went when he did could have been the missing piece this season. As for the tour I agree with morality side rather than the tired player side of the reasons for not going..This will be publicity for the Myanmar powers that be.

It'll be interesting to see the squad taken, I'd suspect it'll be more fringe and kids than most of the first team squad ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:15 pm I could be wrong but aren’t Murphy, Antonsson and Klich also loaned out?
Had forgotten about those and the Japanese international too. Definitely makes sense to have a good look at them although a friendly a lot nearer to home would make more sense if it was the case to look at them and judge.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Just bizarre.

For a PR guru Radz makes some dreadful choices.

What next?

Syria, North Korea, Somalia?

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9132726

So its just about making Radz money, enhancing his business potential, not the club :roll:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

The idea of a post season tour makes sense. It's scheduled during the time of the playoffs so it doesn't really add anything to the end of the season beyond where we'd have hoped to have been anyway. It also makes sense in terms of a mini gathering for some of the fringe players although I really wonder how many of them will be giving anything close to 100% and a realistic look. The only negative is Myanmar. Radz has business interests and I guess this will be for the financial good of the club . But we see plenty of examples around the world of sports refusing to condone oppressive regimes. Myanmar just doesn't seem like somewhere we should be going.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

This makes no sense both for PR and footballing reasons. The country has poor human rights reputation, just like going to Qatar for example. Secondly, why a country with such a poor reputation for football? I get it's all about Radz making money, but why does the club need to be involved for that? Japan, South Korea would be better options just in Asia for example.