Championship's Most Expensive Squads

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Championship's Most Expensive Squads

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

This survey ranks us as about par for the course. We were 10th in terms of spending, so 12th in the table is not a bad reflection.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... -14543841
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Championship's Most Expensive Squads

Post by The Subhuman »

Spending when - this season ? Or is this perceived squad value..If it's money spent this season I'd imagine a lot of the outlay hasn't played for the first team much.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 pm Spending when - this season ?
As far as I understand, it's amount spent on the first team squad.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think if you're going to do spending to decide if money matters it has to be a seasonal metric you base how much has been spent on the first team.. ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm This survey ranks us as about par for the course. We were 10th in terms of spending, so 12th in the table is not a bad reflection.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... -14543841
We're 9 points off 10th and 10th is only 3 points off 6th.

6 teams are above us who are below us in that table.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

faaip wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:07 pm I think if you're going to do spending to decide if money matters it has to be a seasonal metric you base how much has been spent on the first team.. ..
Clubs like Sunderland and Hull will just have expensive squads because they have players who cost a lot of money a few years ago in the Premier League, whereas some of the clubs who have spent very little will have some talented young players who will probably end up being sold for a lot of money.

It still gives you an idea, though.

It used to annoy me when Grayson used to go on about his small budget when he had players who would probably be valued at over £50m in the current market.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Clive wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:55 pm 6 teams are above us who are below us in that table.
Which obviously means the opposite is true. There are teams below us that have spent more. I think the table offers some optimism. It says that we're not really underachieving and puts credence in Orta's long term plans. It would be nice to be higher up the spending table, but we probably have the best academy in the league too.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Always hard to judge as you have to take various things into consideration not just money. For example Fulham have Sessignon who came through their ranks and as such cost nothing. For any other team to have a player of that quality they would probably have to spend upwards of £30m. Likewise as Clive pointed out a team can have players who had cost little in previous seasons suddenly come good and be worth a lot more, in Leeds's case Bradley Johnson, Beckford & Snodgrass probably cost around £250k but then a couple of years later if they were all starting a season would cost a team £20m to £30m. Likewise what players have left a club and as such needed replacing - -when we lost Beckford and then Johnson for nowt how many £ms would it cost to simply replace them and in doing so the team could have spent £20m just to effectively stand still. Or a more recent example would be Bartley's loan being up and if we had gone out and bought him, say for £10m, we would have been £10m down and not made an improvement on the previous season's team.

Money certainly helps but it is perhaps more important to have a director of football, scouts or manager that can identify talent before they become expensive.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 pm Which obviously means the opposite is true. There are teams below us that have spent more. I think the table offers some optimism. It says that we're not really underachieving and puts credence in Orta's long term plans. It would be nice to be higher up the spending table, but we probably have the best academy in the league too.
I like how you ignored my other point.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Clive wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:24 pm I like how you ignored my other point.
Sorry Clive. Wasn't intentional.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:18 pm Sorry Clive. Wasn't intentional.
You still haven't addressed it ;-)