Longest trip following Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Elland back
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Longest trip following Leeds

Post by Elland back »

I was just reading an article from our asteemed leader 1964 telling us about all the roadworks he hit following the game at Deepdale midweek and it got me thinking!

A few seasons back I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Liverpool - Leeds League Cup game. On my way back to Southampton, there were literally a dozen diversions taking me miles out of my way. I finally got back at 6.15am, nearly eight hours later.

Similarly, following the Wendies game I decided to cut my losses, leave my hotel early, and drive back through the snow in case I got stranded in the snow on Sunday. You have to bear in mind, that being a Southerner, we very rarely get to see snow, let alone the mutated snowballs that were falling from the sky.

There were more then a few times my heart was in my mouth, especially as you could only see 20 yards in front of you. Fortunately 7 hours later I made it back to Southampton.

What is the longest journey / longest time that you have travelled following Leeds?

Any good stories - Let's hear them :scar1
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Longest trip following Leeds

Post by HarryofOz »

Sydney, London, Manchester, Burnley, Leeds (though not in one go :twisted: )
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 pm Sydney, London, Manchester, Burnley, Leeds (though not in one go :twisted: )
Can't beat that - Thread closed.

Longest for me - Salonica in the Cup Winners Cup Final. It took me a week to get back. :-D
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Elland back
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Elland back »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 pm Can't beat that - Thread closed.

Longest for me - Salonica in the Cup Winners Cup Final. It took me a week to get back. :-D
I had to look up Salonica. How long ago was that?
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Elland back wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 pm I had to look up Salonica. How long ago was that?
1973. Another one we were cheated out of.
Last edited by Gandalf on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Never seen Leeds in Europe so that's counts me out

Southampton & Pompey the furthest for me

Harry has to be the longest traveller
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm 1974. Another one we were cheated out of.
It was like the Great train robbery

Referee was banned from reffing a game ever again

I cried that night :verysad:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 pm Sydney, London, Manchester, Burnley, Leeds (though not in one go :twisted: )
Blimey Harry, I thougnt I was in with a shout.... from Riyadh, Saudia Arabia....to watch us play Blackburn Rovers, old second division in front of around 13,000 fans. Just me and Mum and a couple of policemen in our block in the east stand! Them were the days :scar1
Elland back
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Elland back »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:03 pm It was like the Great train robbery

Evening 1964

The Paris ref was also banned wasn't he?

I did Southampton to Leeds in 3 1/2 hrs for the Wendies game, but double that on the way back.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:03 pm It was like the Great train robbery

Was that the Bayern cheating Munich game? When Beckenbaur gave away a blatant penalty and we didn't get it? And free kicks that hit the back of the net were disallowed?
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

To the depths of hell.

I still haven't made it back.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Berlin, well Dresden but they called that game off.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:26 pm Berlin, well Dresden but they called that game off.
A fans nightmare

Unlucky Adam
gessa

Post by gessa »

September 2000. Left our guest house in Kerry at 11am on the Friday morning, caught the Cork to Swansea ferry that night arriving at around 7.30am driving straight to ER to see us beat Spurs 4-3 in a very exciting game. Smith and Viduka getting 2 goals a piece. Arriving back home around 8pm knackered.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

In England I’ve travelled to Plymouth, Yeovil, Brighton and Cardiff for midweek games but most of my arduous journeys were in the late nineties early 2000s watching us throughout Europe. We drove to Munich for the champions league qualifier and years later drove to Troyes for the Uefa cup tie. Most of our champions league games we would fly with Ryanair/ EasyJet/ BA Go to some obscure airport then catch a train to wherever we were playing. One example when we played Grasshoppers Zurich we flew Manchester to Paris then caught the TGV ( high speed train) to Geneva, changed trains for a beautiful 3 hour scenic trip through Switzerland to Zurich.
When we played AS Roma we got a Ryanair flight for the unbelievable price of £29 return but the only downside was it went to Ancona... on the opposite side of Italy therefore a 4 hour train journey followed but the views were awesome..... happy days.

Flew to Madeira to watch us play Maritimo only for all the European games to be called off as a mark of respect after 9/11
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Unless the man in the moon happens to be a Leeds fan and post on this forum you're the winner :lol:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 pm Blimey Harry, I thougnt I was in with a shout.... from Riyadh, Saudia Arabia....to watch us play Blackburn Rovers, old second division in front of around 13,000 fans. Just me and Mum and a couple of policemen in our block in the east stand! Them were the days :scar1
LOL, though as I say, my trip wasn't a non-stop one made on one go.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 pm Can't beat that - Thread closed.

It's nice to win at something :)
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am Unless the man in the moon happens to be a Leeds fan and post on this forum you're the winner :lol:
LOL, as I told Gandi, it's nice to win something
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:15 pm Was that the Bayern cheating Munich game? When Beckenbaur gave away a blatant penalty and we didn't get it? And free kicks that hit the back of the net were disallowed?
No, Swan that was 1975 in the European Cup Final in Paris. This one was the 1973 Cup winners Cup Final against AC Milan in Salonica. The Greek referee in this was banned for life. After the game, the Greeks wouldn't allow Leeds fans to pay for food and drink, they were that upset with their countryman's refereeing. Match report here https://clarkyboy72.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -may-1973/