Our current position in the Championship

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Our current position in the Championship

Post by 1964white »

Leeds have slipped to 12th in the table, alongside Millwall, Ipswich and Norwich all on 45 points

There is now a gap of 5 points between ourselves and 10th place Brentford.

5 teams are then jostling for the 6th play off play with Bristol City currently occupying that spot with 53 points.

Have we blown it again?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Our current position in the Championship

Post by The Subhuman »

playoffs? We blew that a while ago and really didn't deserve it anyway
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

top 6 squad, league 1/2 manager
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I had reservations even when we were nicking wins in December, the loss to bottom team Birmingham at the that time confirmed my fears. Since then we have gone from bad to worst although there has been a glimmer of hope in the comeback v Bristol City & the near miss v Millwall & beaten by a late penalty at Bramall Lane

I personallly think we'll have another decent run between now & the end of the season but once again it will be all too late to make it to the play-offs . We've flattered to deceive & then got caught in the headlights when the going got tough!

9th or 10th is the best we can hope for I feel, not Heck's fault by any means, he walked into a minefield of a job
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I fear that we have. It'll take something special to move past so many teams and make it to the play-offs this season. Just had a quick look and the lowest points total for 6th spot in the last five season was 68. Even if we take that as the points needed, that means we need 23 points from 14 games. That equates to 7 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses or 6 wins, 5 draws and 2 losses. That's a huge turnaround from our current form.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 am I fear that we have. It'll take something special to move past so many teams and make it to the play-offs this season. Just had a quick look and the lowest points total for 6th spot in the last five season was 68. Even if we take that as the points needed, that means we need 23 points from 14 games. That equates to 7 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses or 6 wins, 5 draws and 2 losses. That's a huge turnaround from our current form.
Indeed Harry :tup: also I reckon the 6th spot requirement is likely to be 73 points possibly higher
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:42 am Indeed Harry :tup: also I reckon the 6th spot requirement will be more like 73 points possibly higher
That is probably closer to the points tally that will be needed.

It all looked so promising in the first couple of months.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Were never geared for promotion.
First game of the season vs Bolton (Jansson was unavailable.
Wiedwald-New gk, average gk.
Ayling-good rb
Cooper-back up level cb
Penny-back up level cb
Berardi-not a left back
O'Kane-lower level cm
Phillips-lower level back up cm
Roofe-poor winger'average level player
Hernandez-Class act to good for this level
Aliosli-class act
Wood-always was gonna go

Throw in a host of punts-Saiz,Ekuban on the bench, A cm in Shaunie released for not being good enough, our back up cb. Hadi sacko, hopeless.

Thats not a promotion winning squad.

We waited until January to fix two glaring recruitment errors signing a proper left back and ball playing midfielder. We never signed a quality cb or another decent striker.

How anyone can look at that line up on the 1st day and think "yes, we are ready for a playoff chase i dont know.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:58 am Were never geared for promotion.
Ayling-good rb
Cooper-back up level cb
Penny-back up level cb
Berardi-not a left back
O'Kane-lower level cm
Aliosli-class act
Wood-always was gonna go

Throw in a host of punts-Saiz,Ekuban on the bench, A cm in Shaunie released for not being good enough, our back up cb. Hadi sacko, hopeless.

We waited until January to fix two glaring recruitment errors signing a proper left back and ball playing midfielder. We never signed a quality cb or another decent striker.

How anyone can look at that line up on the 1st day and think "yes, we are ready for a playoff chase i dont know.
Radz, Orta & those at the top are to blame Cjay

We required a commanding CB to replace Bartley, a proper LB to replace Taylor (still not convinced with De Bock tbh, he may need time). We did sign a unfit striker in Lassoga to replace Wood whom has taken time to settle in but we are only seeing more consistent performances of late. The signing of Forshaw was six months too late.

You're right we were nowhere near ready for a top six challenge :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:58 am Were never geared for promotion.
Ayling-good rb
Cooper-back up level cb
Penny-back up level cb
Berardi-not a left back
O'Kane-lower level cm
Aliosli-class act
Wood-always was gonna go

And yet that was the expectation from most of the fans. We flattered to deceive last season with a much better starting XI and found a habit of winning games where neither team really deserved to win (last season for example we'd have nicked the 3 points v Millwall after going in front and would have scored a winner v Bristol). TC did himself no favours by getting the team playing well and winning matches at the start of the season as it simply ramped up expectation - certain people even starting threads asking when we'd ever get beaten. It papered over the cracks of our transfer activity and whilst we bolstered the squad we simply did not replace the players that left. I have often made comparisons to Blackburn when they won the title and it was down to their strong spine (Flowers in net had the best season of his career, Colin Hendrey was a rock, Batty and Sherwood tenacious in midfield and Shearer unbelievable up front). We had strong spine and snapped it and tried to simply bandage it up. Only 2 of the players signed, Alioski and Saiz would have made it into Monk's team whereas Green, Bartley, Taylor and Wood would have all made it into TC/PH's team.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:47 am Radz, Orta & those at the top are to blame Cjay

We required a commanding CB to replace Bartley, a proper LB to replace Taylor (still not convinced with De Bock tbh, he may need time). We did sign a unfit striker in Lassoga to replace Wood whom has taken time to settle in but we are only seeing more consistent performances of late. The signing of Forshaw was six months too late.

You're right we were nowhere near ready for a top six challenge :tup:
We wernt, compare our squad to all the top 6 , throw in Boro, we haven't the same quality as them.

We have others like Dallas, Cibicki, Grot, Lonners etc, middle two may come good, Lonners is at a push an ok backup, Dallas is a grafter, but thats all.

Accept TC had faults, but to have our squad in and around the top 6 with the injuries and suspensions, really dont think he did to badly, all that happened is our lack of overall quality and depth was exposed and we ended up about where we should be imo.

Maintain had we had decent replacements for Bartley and Taylor at the start of the season, had Saiz not let us down, had Berardi and Cooper not let us down twice, TC would still be here and wed probably be top 6.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Start of the season the bookies had us to finish 8th...will be lucky if we get there.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I would think TC had the opportunity to start Green this season but opted to go with the poorer keeper.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 pm I would think TC had the opportunity to start Green this season but opted to go with the poorer keeper.
I definitely feel TC wanted a ball playing keeper which wasn't one of Green's strengths.

I would not be surprised if Green got a big pay rise in his contract for this season as it was a contract extension that he was able to trigger (and he did so) once he'd made a certain amount of appearances. That contract was one that Cellino had offered and MC's usual way is to significantly reward players doing well. If that was then the case it may well have been that Green's new contract meant he was earning more then the set figure for the maximum wage in our new wage budget and as such the people controlling the money wanted him out and probably made it clear to TC that he wasn't going to be able to pick Green as the starting keeper. Would not have been surprised if they hadn't also asked Monk to drop Green last season so as to avoid Green making the required amount of appearances and this may have been turned down flatly by Monk and started the seeds of doubt.

All guesswork though.